My duo has become a trio...... and I am loving it!

msmooth

• Members

My wife and I started playing as a duo back in April. I play acoustic guitar and sing and she sings (very well). I was hoping for her to play keys a bit to fill out the sound, but it was not to be. So we start doing 1 low pressure gig per month at a local restaurant with a pub. Were doing either a Friday or Saturday evening from 7-9pm.

Back in June I got a friend of mine who plays bass to come sit in on a few songs. He brought his upright and played on roughly 1/2 of the songs we did. In a perfect world he would have been a good vocalist as well as a good bassist, but I'll take what I can get smiley-happy To make a long story short, he now knows about 75 of ours songs (we still may throw 2-3 in per night that he doesn't play on) and we are playing 2-3 times per month (which is our limit anyway). In December, it looks that we will be playing 4 times, including a good paying job on New years Eve. I couldn't be happier about the way things are going.

• Moderators
Nice! Wish I could find a upright bass player.

Gotta love the sound and feel of the doghouse!

I am in the process of trying to find another upright bassist [my good friend/bassist of 10 years passed away in June, subs are okay, but...] who will be able cover the band's material, and hopefully my more eclectic repertoire from my solo act (which I would be happy to be a duo with the right bassist).

• Members

We're bringing in a drummer on a gig next week for a WWII - era dance set. We've played with him before and he knows the material and CAN be very good. Fingers crossed.

Part of me would like the extra warmth and drive of a good rhythm section and part of me wants to play solo and get paid a little better with fewer hassles.

• Members

correction: When a musician is gigging, and getting paid well, the world is right.:wave:

If you aren't getting paid well, you aren't gigging.

If you are in a commercial establishment you are being exploited

If you are playing at a non-commercial space nobody is making a profit, you are just having a party.

BTW, I love the sound of an acoustic bass, especially with old fashioned 'gut' strings.

Notes

• Members

I do a couple of charity performances, they aren't gigging - one each year in the VA hospital nursing home and one every few years for an Alzheimer's/Parkinson's support group (they are private, non-profit and don't get insurance money of any kind - but they give Az and PD people a place to go for mental stimulation).

But those aren't gigs, they are gifts.

I've also gone to Jam sessions, only if I know the musicians, and I know they are getting paid their regular fee for being the host band. That's not a gig either.

Oh, and when my neighbor threw a big birthday party, I sat in with a Punk band (it was actually fun).

Notes

• Members

Well, as far as the bass goes, the upright is king. I play mostly jazz and I just don't enjoy straight ahead stuff as much with a solid body bass. For funk and fusion stuff, a P or J bass is awesome. When a musician is getting paid at all, it is a gig. The pay is commensurate with the situation. I've played gigs for hundreds of dollars and gigs for a few dozens of dollars. They all have their lessons and triumphs. Many times, the high paying gig is the most boring, but not always!

Archived