The BeatBuddy arrived yesterday afternoon...

daddymack

• Moderators

Finally...unfortunately, my solo rig is packed for the moment...but I can see where I am going to need to put a pedal board together now...I kind of thought I would, it is necessary to speed up my set up.

I ordered the optional 2 button footswitch...and it does expand the operational capabilities immensely. I have not had time t oreallly play with it yet, as I have several repair/upgrade projects running right now.

Finished the Champion 600 upgrade (speaker/tubes/caps) and wow...I mean it is only a 5W amp, but it is just so much ballsier now. Halfway through the SuperChamp XD upgrade (done: new tubes[Tungsols], new output xfrmr; caps and speaker next...Both Blues Juniors are getting 3 position power switches so they will have a standby [Fender should have done this!], the Magnatone is getting a replacement speaker, a partial re-tube and a grounded power cord...and I am rebuilding my bass and one old Gretsch...

Hopefully I can spend time with te BB later this week..and then I will report back.

• Members

A buddy of mine is excited about this (and surprised I knew about it). Aside from being a pedal rather than a big thingy with coloured buttons, how does it improve on the Roland Compurhythm my pal Joe used to spoil my recordings of him in 1982?

BTW, on the new equipment front, I just got and am learning to control, a lovely vintage Traynor YGM-3 point-to-point tube amp with gorgeous tube tremolo.:sm-heart:

• Moderators

I have not done much with it yet, but I am using it to 'exercise' the new speaker in my Champion 600. The drums, for one thing are very 'natural' sounding, like analog recorded rather than digitally sampled. I have not really gone through all the kits and styles yet, but it does look good, and I can read the display when I am standing over it. I am finishing up some projects and I think I will get time this weekend to really check it all out, including the website, management software, etc.

And, wow, gotta love those old Traynors...my favorite amp story is about the Traynor salesman who tossed a Traynor head out of the window of Buddy and Bonen's on 48th Street [they were on the second floor; this was 1971], went down to the alley, brought it back up, shook out all the broken glass, cleared the tube sockets, popped in new tubes, plugged it in...and it worked. Built like a TANK!

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

The jury, sadly, is still out. The built-in rhythms are, quite frankly, fairly uninspiring, and I have not been able to explore the available downloads as yet. I am working up a new set of material for New Year's (a potentially lucrative gig I have not been able to lock in yet*.) The BB has been used mainly as a time keeper for the present in rehearsal, and I am not ready to gig with it... I do like the flexibility of the add-on pedal...well worth the extra investment, but until I have time to figure out all the footwork involved with the BB, vocal harmonizer (also not being used at the moment) and the looper..I am almost at the point of just playing acoustic and that's it...[it ain't gonna happen, but I am just feeling overwhelmed at the present...]

*Pogo will like this concept..they don't want anything from after the British invasion...(so everything must be from before 1963)...but also no obscure numbers...I have to present them a sample recording before Thanksgiving....and the sample set is almost ready {my vocals are more the issue than anything else}

• Members

*Pogo will like this concept..they don't want anything from after the British invasion...(so everything must be from before 1963)...but also no obscure numbers...I have to present them a sample recording before Thanksgiving....and the sample set is almost ready {my vocals are more the issue than anything else}

I DO like this. Sam Cooke, Arthur Alexander, Ray Charles, The Drifters, Elvis… Nice!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I totally understand how overwhelming it can be. I often spend alot of time in Technology land..reading manuals..making notes in my manuals..reading forums on a device..sending emails..etc etc to get a good handle on how to use something. Alot of work!! I consider it a point of pride when someone says "You sounds so good..and you make it look easy". We all know, there is hours and hours behind it all.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

In between amp mods (SCXD is done...new speaker upgrade [Jensen CQ10], tubes, and O/T...this thing sings on both channels now)...[getting ready to recap the Valve Junior...new speaker and preamp tube made a huge difference! still a tad harsh...caps should ameliorate that]...

and...

AAARRRGGGHHH...went to download the new BB firmware and the link is bad...just emailed them about it. I have been using the BB on and off, but as I was working on arranging a bunch of seasonal material, I was not using the BB as much as I usually would have been. I like what I have accomplished so far with it, but I fear I have not scratched the surface.

Update: the nice folks at BB sent me teh correct link, I updated my simcard, and already noticed the screen is easier to read! More later this week...

• Moderators

Sorry, took on some repair work (gotta make some cash somehow...!) and had to put the BB aside for a few days. But...I am working up more new stuff, which I will want the BB to be a part of...good motivation...hopefully. For me the BB is strictly a presentational device, as I have a well acknowledged 'internal clock' in my skull for keeping time/rhythm...so I see it as a performance enhancement, rather than a necessary tool.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I have had a Beat Buddy for a bit. Unfortunately, Beat Buddy has had difficulty putting together the management software for this pedal. A user recently wrote a Beta version of the Mac software and I am in the process of programing my set list in. This takes quite a bit of time because you have many options for beats and tempos. The software allows you to program fills and alternate beats for chorus or bridge. Getting that all right for a couple of hours worth of material is a task, especially if you are not a drummer.

I am hoping that the transfer to the pedal will go well once the set list is built. I'll let you all know once I am done.

• Moderators

Wow...and I am still just trying to master the footswitching routines...haven't looked at the software side yet. I am sorry to hear that it is a slog...I had hoped once I had the tempos where I liked them I could just list the song, tempo, mode and be done.

• Members

I am somewhat dissapointed that no one has a high opinion of it. Seems like a great idea. Years ago I worked with a drum machine..and it seems like this is so much better. Sure it takes some work(maybe even weeks of work) ..but no machine does it all for you,

• Moderators

Like any other new product, there are going to be things tha tare not perfect...I do like mine for time keeping, but I am still tap dancing for the fills and rests...and I am starting a second band, so where will my time be going? I dunno...;)

I had hoped to demo it for SteveMac when he was here, but I was distracted by other things...like cooking dinner...I am definitely more into it as an on the fly thing rather than hard programmed.

• Members

The more I am thinking about it the more I am feeling that recording the drums and a simple bass track per song is the way to go. I see the advantages of less to carry and cable in, plus learning Fred Astaire type footwork skills outweighing the advantage of the spontenaity of extending tunes on the fly. I will try it out on a few songs when I get back in my music room.

• Members

But I am not advocating using it for every song just the occasional one plus I have the Beatroot stomp thingy where I could stop the BT with the airturn and just have a solid organic thump then re start the BT again, it will need some working out. "Call me hopeless, call me useless, but most of all call me"

• Members

After spending days trying to program this thing, it has prooved to be an unsuccessful attempt. The Beta version has some very obvious problems, the official version has been promised for months with no joy in sight. Too bad. This is a fairly expensive pedal that has great promise and won a best of show at NAMM but has not lived up to promises regarding customer service. Check out their forum at their website for comments from frustrated users.

Archived