storage and transport and checklists and stuff

pogo97

• Members

I know some folks who just keep all their PA stuff in the back on the truck like an tradesman would. I leave some stuff in the van and bring some into the house (where I use it, like the mixer). And I have a checklist to make sure everything is loaded before I leave home.

Ideas for best practice?

• Members

The problem is I keep forgetting to check the checklist ;)

I never leave my gear in the van. The odds of it getting broken into where I live are very small, but if the unlikely should happen, the repercussions are very huge. It's not that the stuff is worth all that much, but I probably have another gig to do before I could replacements.

I always bring it in, no matter how late I get home. The house is secure and alarmed, so the odds are much better that I'll make the next gig.

I load the van exactly the same way every time. Everything goes in the same place. That way a visual check is all that's needed of both the storage room and the van to know if I got everything.

Notes

• Members

I very seldom have gigs on consecutive nights, so after every show I bring my guitar and my case of gear in (I hardly ever play ventures that don't have their own PA, so the case holds pedals and leads, harmonicas and mikes etc.) the next day I set it up in my music room exactly as though I was doing a show but plugged into my amps. That way it's always there to practice and refine but the big bonus is when it's show day, I breakdown the gear into the case and that way my feeble brain can't forget anything. I do appriechiated that folk doing more than the 3 or so a week that I do would find it a pain in the chuff, but it works for me.

• Moderators

I load/unload after every gig. I don't have a physical checklist, partly because not every gig requires the same gear; I also have a habit of hauling more gear that I really need, just to be on the safe side. I have multiple set-ups (my band/solo/jam-house band)...so three checklists would just make it more confusing.

I typically set up everything the day before a gig, and then stage it all so I know I have what I need.

I have my 'rig bag', which has spare mics, spare cables, digital VOM, guitar stands, tubes, outlet strip, spare power cord, mini lamps, multi volt DC power supply, mic goosenecks...all sorts of stuff, that always goes out with me ...a 'cable bag' with speaker, instrument, mic and AC cords...the FishStick which has all required cords [mic/instrument/power] in it so it is self-contained...each guitar has its own dedicated tuner/strap/cord...the Vocal harmonizer is in its own briefcase, the mini-mixer is in its own briefcase...all these are stored in one room, most in the closet neatly arranged, (yeah, it is very full) and set up so I can visually see what is left at a glance.

The only odd balls are my amps, some are stored in different closets [there are 10 amps...] but my main ones are in the same room with the rest of the gear, plus my home practice rig, and some of my repair projects...

• Members

My problem is that I do a variety of gigs. I do solo no tracks, solo w/tracks no PA, solo w/tracks and small PA, solo/duo w/tracks and a larger PA. Then there are guitar and amp gigs, guitar and amp and small PA gigs, and then guitar and amp with large PA gigs. I spend half my time figuring out what to take to what gig.

I'm in the process of creating separate packs for about three types of gigs. It's somewhat daunting, and it means having redundant cabling but hopefully in the long run it will be worth it. For instance in my large PA case I have about 25 XLR cables, in my small PA bag I have a half dozen XLR's packed. I use red velcro for my rental cables and blue velcro for my personal XLR's. I've also got a mic bag for my "large PA" and again a half dozen mics for my personal PA use. I try not to mix and match so I always know what is where. Even that little bit has helped my poor aching head.

Oh yes, I always forget to check the check list as well!

• Members

For the solo and duo shows, I have a very streamlined setup.

For venues that have a PA, I bring my guitar, mic stand, and a backpack that includes everything I need to run my gear. In the backpack there is usually:

-2 mics

-3 xlr cables

-2 1/4" cables

-extra strings/winder/cutter

-Extra strap/batteries/spare acoustic pickup

When I need to bring my PA, I bring the packpack, the guitar, mic stand, 2xpowered speaker, mixer, and then a crate with everything I need to run my PA. The crate includes:

-Extension cords/AC cables

-Speaker cables for each speaker

-Small mic stand

-Extra cables

I never use these cables or gear for anything other than giggin so they pretty much live in the backpack or crate. I dont have a checklist per se, but I definitely load my car the same way each time. Speakers on the back seat, guitar on top of speaks, everything else in the trunk. I just do a visual check.

Also, I rarely leave anything in the car. The only thing I sometimes leave are my powered speakers (usually covered by a blanket or carpet). I always bring my guitar inside

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I have a list and I check it everytime. VERY important. And I try to visualize where I'm playing before I start driving..I think of everything I might need on that particular day. (Sun Block? Rain Gear? Capo...etc etc) Preparedness is part of the job,imho,

• Members

I have a small suitcase full of extra cables and parts that I suspect might wear out occasionally like speaker stand clutches, a cheap spare microphone, and so on. I leave that in the van.

On the gig I bring things that are more likely to give me trouble, strings, reeds, cork grease, screw-on phone plugs (for quick repairs), connection cleaners, one spare coax cable, one spare twisted pair cable, and a few other items.

Insights and incites by Notes

• Members

I've got a bag that lives under the front seat of my truck that's saved my a$$ on more than one occasion (after some hard-knocks learning experiences). Spare mic, mic cord, 1/4" audio cord, IEC power cord, keyboard power supply, and sax strap. And a 25 ft 3-outlet extension cord under the other seat. I also have a checklist that I go through before I leave the house. Now as long as I don't forget my mic stand I should be ok.

- Jimbo

Archived