Things You Wish Someone Had Told You Years Ago

steve mac

• Members

So I had trouble with a G string constantly going out of tune, particularly after a series of bends. Checked all what I knew, which wasn't much and then decided it was maybe the nut needed adjusting as this was the only thing left to try. As no tech was available, I went on line and saw suggestions to lubricate the nut obviously there was propriety lube, but not available here, others suggested graphite from a pencil which I deemed to messy. Finally a web page suggested Chapstick, so a quick and surreptitious search of the missus' make up bag later and a tiny dab applied to each groove. Result marvelous, absolutely fixed the problem and will now be part of my sting changing routine. I am sure this is old news to many if not all here, but led me to thinking what handy hints or tips do you wish you had known years ago in relation to either guitar maintenance or performing? Cheers Steve

• Moderators

buy Apple stock....

don't sell that '65 'Cuda with the 318...

:angry09:

as to the guitar stuff...I put a dab of Vaseline [i used to use water based lube, but it didn't last long enough] on the bridge saddle grooves of my Stratocaster if I plan on using the tremolo bar, and I do plan on it...as for nut lube, same thing... just a tiny bit of petrolatum does wonders, especially on brass nuts (like a brass monkey has :badump:)

Put strap locks on all your electric guitars....I do, and aside from a strap failure, have not had an issue in three decades.

• Members

There's a lot of advice that would have been beneficial nearly 30 years ago when I decided to to a solo act. Keep a smile on your face even when the audience is slowly headed out the door - would be good. Don't we usually let that bring us down? I always have. As a result, those that haven't left see a sour looking "entertainer".

I've used graphite and it is dirty looking. I had a silicon spray that I used for a while, but lately I've let my B string go sharp when using my B-bender. I'll have to try chapstick. However, strings don't seem to ring out as good when applying jelly or waxy type of lubricant. Is there graphite in different colors besides charcoal gray?

• Members

buy Apple stock....

don't sell that '65 'Cuda with the 318...

:angry09:

as to the guitar stuff...I put a dab of Vaseline [i used to use water based lube, but it didn't last long enough] on the bridge saddle grooves of my Stratocaster if I plan on using the tremolo bar, and I do plan on it...as for nut lube, same thing... just a tiny bit of petrolatum does wonders, especially on brass nuts (like a brass monkey has :badump:)

Put strap locks on all your electric guitars....I do, and aside from a strap failure, have not had an issue in three decades.

Don't trade your Mesa Boogie for a stupid Marshall power amp that is now broken and will cost more to fix than it's worth.

Don't drop your Les Paul on stage, the headstock will go boom, which leads to.... Strap locks good, although IIRC I did have one self destruct. However, I still use them on my gigging guitars. I also carry an extra strap. Had a failure on a gig, and had to make a strap out of duct tape, which leads to; always bring duct or gaff tape.

• Members

Doing slides sometimes my fingers don't well...slide, or at least as easily as I would like. Now I know there are propriety products out there for this like Finger Ease, but seriously a quick rub through the eyebrows and stings are like ice.

• Members
Doing slides sometimes my fingers don't well...slide, or at least as easily as I would like. Now I know there are propriety products out there for this like Finger Ease, but seriously a quick rub through the eyebrows and stings are like ice.
Greasy eyebrows

Archived