Mono m80 or Vertigo

steve mac

• Members

I thought of getting an M80 (and still might) but I needed a bag in a hurry, so I picked up this Levy for my acoustic electric. http://www.long-mcquade.com/17396/Guitars/Cases_Gig_Bags/Levy_s/Polyester_Gig_Bag_For_Acoustic_Guitar.htm It was less expensive than a Mono but still offers reasonable protection - emphasis on reasonable.

I've only checked out one Mono bag (not the M80) and it looked well constructed. However, I like to buy hands on, and it seems that Mono bags are a little expensive to just have lying around in inventory.

• Moderators

whoa...you can get a hard case for less than that Levy! How about this for under a [uS] c-note: http://www.amazon.com/Reunion-Blues-...+blues+gig+bag

or you could win this one! http://www.premierguitar.com/blogs/4...guitar-gig-bag

Personally, I will only transport my guitars, even the cheaper ones, in hard cases. Convenience be damned...

• Members

Back when I was 21 or so I hitch-hiked across the continent carrying my wood-body dobro in its OHSC. In Alaska, a 5-ton truck accidentally ran over it (my fault). Cracked the case, but the dobro, being made of 1/4" maple plywood, saved the case from collapse and everything was fine. I'm using a crummy gig bag someone gave me these days because it frees up one hand to carry the beer. I'm thinking about getting a better bag, though.

• Members
whoa...you can get a hard case for less than that Levy! How about this for under a [uS] c-note: http://www.amazon.com/Reunion-Blues-...+blues+gig+bag

or you could win this one! http://www.premierguitar.com/blogs/4...guitar-gig-bag

Personally, I will only transport my guitars, even the cheaper ones, in hard cases. Convenience be damned...

Guess I've gone over to the dark side :) I've got hard shell cases for most of my guitars, but have been using gig bags for many years now. Most guitar/bassists I know do so as well. Actually even the horn players with their $8k horns use gig bags.

Many of my solo/band gigs are in downtown Vancouver. Parking is often hard to find, and runs anywhere from $10.00 to $20.00 (or more if you pick the wrong place), and then there's gas. I will often take the Skytrain. It's cheaper, faster, and less trouble (usually). I can get dropped off and picked up from my local station., and my gigs are all within two or three short blocks of a downtown station.

Even if I drive, I've still got to get from the car to the venue, and sometimes that can be an even longer trek than if I took the train. Gig bags just work better for me, most of the time, but they do have to be pretty sturdy. That's why I settled on the Levy in lieu of the Mono.

• Moderators

My most recent guitar purchase was less that the M80 case streets for. ...and I still got a hard case for it.

To each their own, I suppose.

In LA, we drive to our gigs, but many of them (hotel gigs mainly) entail elevators and trolley carts. I usually bring 2 guitars, with the SA220 over my shoulder, so the 'convenience' factor is immediately lost on me.

• Members
My most recent guitar purchase was less that the M80 case streets for. ...and I still got a hard case for it.

To each their own, I suppose.

In LA, we drive to our gigs, but many of them (hotel gigs mainly) entail elevators and trolley carts. I usually bring 2 guitars, with the SA220 over my shoulder, so the 'convenience' factor is immediately lost on me.

I often have a small dolly, with an amp, or a powered speaker and laptop bag. I usually need one hand free to push people out of the way! Don't really know why, but in my downtown core, people text and walk, stop in the middle of the sidewalk and text, or just stop in the middle of the sidewalk for the sheer fun of it. And then there are the bike lanes - almost more dangerous than the traffic. And then there are the poor souls who are off their meds, and have a bone to pick with you because they are sure you're Napoleon. This all makes walking challenging... but never dull.

• Moderators

okay, here's a sad story...a local duo I know were packing up Friday night... one of the servers had to move a chair that one of the guitars [thankfully it was not his early 70s Martin, but it was a nice early 80s Takamine], in a good quality gigbag (I think a Reunion Blues, but I could be wrong) was leaning up on, so the server laid it down on the floor...right behind where one of the guys was taking the speaker off the pole, and as he turns around to set the speaker down, he steps right on the neck of the gigbag. Snappo...headstock decapitation...much cursing and angry talk...just a cautionary story...

• Members
okay' date=' here's a sad story...a local duo I know were packing up Friday night... one of the servers had to move a chair that one of the guitars [thankfully it was not his early 70s Martin, but it was a nice early 80s Takamine'], in a good quality gigbag (I think a Reunion Blues, but I could be wrong) was leaning up on, so the server laid it down on the floor...right behind where one of the guys was taking the speaker off the pole, and as he turns around to set the speaker down, he steps right on the neck of the gigbag. Snappo...headstock decapitation...much cursing and angry talk...just a cautionary story...

Indeed, doo doo can happen. Luckily I don't often work in places where servers are that dim. A good hard shell case will protect against a lot - but for some, it's a trade off they aren't willing to accept.

I just played (a few hours ago) at the after party stage, for Vancouver's Pride Parade. Lots of bands. The bands had short slots, so I got to see about four bands before me and a couple after. All but one of the acts had multiple guitars, and I don't recall seeing one hard shell case. It just seems to be the trend these days - living dangerously..

Archived