Starting Fulltime Acoustic Gigs Again. Need Recent Material Suggestions??

sventvkg

• Members

Spend an afternoon listening to your local AC and/or Top 40 radio station with your Shazam app handy - or if you don't have that, just make notes of songs you like. I try to keep up with what's 'popular' in that regard, and choose songs I like that can be readily adapted for solo acoustic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Looking for new standards, crowd favorites and sing alongs. What should I pick up from say the last 5 years or so?? Thanks.

Depending on your target venues, I'm not sure you need recent material, just good material. At least in the places I play, folks want to hear the classics - otherwise they would just stay home and listen to their internet radio. My top requested tune to this day is Brown Eyed Girl, closely followed by Mustang Sally, and Sweet Caroline. I would welcome some new classics!

In the younger places, the kids seem to want to hear obscure looped grooves or root music like Reggae. but as I've stated before, every part of the world, and every venue is different.

Re: Happy. That's the "Forget You" or "Rehab" of 2013/2014. A well produced song, but ever so irritating after a few listens - IMHO.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I know this is a little bit of an older thread, but...

I find that playing current hits can go over very well. I play a solo show, primarily at family friendly restaurants. I play everything from the 60s to now. People perk up when you unexpectedly play the current #1 song in the country - they probably weren't expecting that. And kids like it - they actually know the song! (It might be a totally different situation in a bar, but I don't do many bar gigs as a solo act). I only play a current song if I really like it. Here are some of my recent ones:

Rude - Magic!

Happy - Pharrell Williams

Wake Me Up - Avicii & Aloe Blacc

Hey Brother - Avicii & Dan Tyminski

Let Her Go - Passenger

Safe and Sound - Capital Cities

Ho Hey - The Lumineers

Pumped Up Kicks - Foster the People

Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye

Grenade - Bruno Mars

Home - Phillip Phillips

Alex

• Members

Well I've ascertain from this thread and from my recent experience that I don't have to learn all the recent songs only a few of the biggest hits will do every year. My back catalog is so dense with all the popular songs and hits on the 50-60s through the 90s, and the handful of stuff plus new country since then and I'm golden:) it's a new day for sure.

Archived