Live Performance Video

• Members

I play as a solo acoustic act and sometimes in a duo. I am wanting to get into recording videos of my live performances. I have an iphone 5s that seems to have a great video recorder on it, but I am afraid of setting it up where someone could possibly steal it. Does anyone have any recommendation on a camera setup that I could set up on a tripod of some sort and leave unattended? I would like to get maybe a set of footage within a night. I have been looking around and it seems like most cameras have crappy mics and even worse battery life. Thanks in advance.

• Moderators

I have a Vivitar 865HD...inexpensive pocket size HD (720) camera, I put an 8GB sandisk card in it and I can get about 45 minutes on it. The mic isn't great, but it is able to get the full sound of a band through it! If someone walks off with it or the tripod, I'd notice... (I do have three tripods, but still, I'd miss it if it were gone). Some day I might even post some vids here...maybe...

• Members

Just a few hours ago I scored a Zoom Q2HD at Guitar Center for $80. These can be found for $99 with free shipping at several internet stores like Sweetwater (original price $200). This will be a big step of from the Flipcam I bought years ago. The mic and sound is much better as well as the vid quality. I'll use it next week at a gig and hopefully will get some footage worth putting on youtube. A table tripod may work for you, it's been working for me so far. The sale at guitar center will continue Sunday and I think Monday, but the Zoom is an in store only sale.

Archived