First time 'Busking'

the_big_e

• Members

Went playing/busking at a nearby farmer's market this morning (it was pre arranged so does that sill count as 'busking'?). Me,a keytar and a loop pedal through a small Behringer mixer and a QSC K10, all powered by a marine battery and a pure sine wave inverter inverter. Power lasted around two and a half hours but I was pretty much done by then anyway. Had a lot of fun and it seemed to go down well, mostly oldies and blues, some instrumentals, some vocal.

First time I've ever done a stand up like that (done couple of sit down solo gigs at a respite home with my full keyboard). Guess you're never too old (I'm 60) to try something new.

0b7ca23cf72418844734f04a521b6a9c.JPG.5a65063915bd2820584c7fc7c9b3bc77.JPG

• Moderators

I always associate 'busking' with being able to pick up and move at a moment's notice (like when the local constabulary came on the scene ;) ), which to me always meant playing acoustic, or using a backpack-sized portable amplifier.

What you did was perform for tips at a farmer's market, which to me is not the same thing. Still sounds like the portable rig worked fine, which is the most important.

• Members

That's pretty much my definition of busking too, although each to their own.

Seems to me that playing in allowed places, either pre arranged or on the fly (where allowed) , is much less hassle than playing in the street and waiting for plod to come along and give you grief.

These days I doubt I could outrun a small child anymore, never mind carrying any sort of gear (I was never a good runner, even in my youth!).

Busking in the streets seems to be frowned upon by most places and amplification seems to mostly prohibited or has serious limitation on power (I am using what I have, don't want to buy a whole load of new hear just for the occasional session like this).

Anyway, I made nine bucks in tips and my wife says I can spend it on myself! Whoo Hoo !

• Members

I am 60 years old and trying to learn the accordion my wife bought at a flea market. Thank god it was ok. It is pretty old and still works good. I want to sit outside the auditorium theater and play whatever I can someday when I'm really old - sympathy you know. There is a gentleman that is doing it now with his accordion case open and people throwing money in. He plays at all kinds of events as you go in and go out. Nobody bothers him god bless him. Would that busking? Sounds better than pan handling HaHa.

• Members

Hey, I've got an accordion! It was my mother's and in spite of all the bad rap they get, she could play the heck out of it. Sadly it does not play any more and would cost the best part of six grand to get back into a playable state but maybe that's a blessing with my playing!

• Members
Hey' date=' I've got an accordion! It was my mother's and in spite of all the bad rap they get, she could play the heck out of it. Sadly it does not play any more and would cost the best part of six grand to get back into a playable state but maybe that's a blessing with my playing![/quote'] a hhh! your suite is right over here, sir...

Archived