hello?

pogo97

• Members

Did you know you can tell the temperature using cricket chirps? Count the number of chirps in 14 seconds and add forty. Since your clip was only 12 seconds long, I counted 16 chirps in 7 seconds, multiplied by 2 to get the number for 14 seconds (32) and added 40. So it must be 72 degrees F where you are. Fascinating, huh?

• Members

If you're referring to the lack of activity around here, Id say that folks are probably busy. In the last eight days I've had six gigs with five different bands/duos. Well actually one was cancelled, at the last minute, but I still spent a bunch of time preparing for that one.

Then of course there's the fence I have to repair or build, a cedar hedge that needs a major trim, grass cutting, power washing.... oh yea and a new deck I have to build. Spring is great except for all the work involved!

I spent most of my day reviewing for tonight's gig, and also making sure I had the Monk changes versus the Mile's changes to Well You Needn't. Hint, Monk's bridge starts in Db...

• Members

I've grown very fond of Carmen McRae's album "Carmen sings Monk." I have mixed feelings, generally, about sticking lyrics onto instrumentals, but these lyrics are quite good and Carmen is spot on:

[video=youtube;qYADfnI-iSs]

• Members
I've grown very fond of Carmen McRae's album "Carmen sings Monk." I have mixed feelings, generally, about sticking lyrics onto instrumentals, but these lyrics are quite good and Carmen is spot on:

[video=youtube;qYADfnI-iSs]

Yes indeed, Carmen nails it. That tune would be so easy to butcher vocally,but she rises to the occasion, once again.

• Members

The cool thing about that Beatles era was that Ringo wasn't afraid to stop drumming here and there. I have a hard time getting drummers to bring the volume down in the verse, let alone letting the song breathe for a few bars.

Strange to think that the combined age of the above songs is around 120 years. Both great tunes in their own genres.

• Moderators
The cool thing about that Beatles era was that Ringo wasn't afraid to stop drumming here and there. I have a hard time getting drummers to bring the volume down in the verse, let alone letting the song breathe for a few bars.

Strange to think that the combined age of the above songs is around 120 years. Both great tunes in their own genres.

as much as I respect Ringo, I think you have to credit George Martin with most of the production decisions... ;)

• Members

as much as I respect Ringo, I think you have to credit George Martin with most of the production decisions... ;)

Perhaps, perhaps not, but I don't believe Martin taught Ringo his signature groove or his "new to Rock" drum fills and such. And the fact remains that even if Martin was responsible for much of the drum tracks direction, Ringo had to roll with it and make it work.

I've seen and heard some pretty qualified producers trying to direct traffic in the studio, and unless the musicians can feel the intention, the product can suffer badly.

Of course, Ringo wasn't the only lad who used space. Listen to Mitch Mitchell during the intro, outro... of The Wind Cries Mary. Was that use of space Jimi's idea - again maybe, but Mitch certainly pulled it off beautifully. Another drummer who wasn't afraid to let the spaces speak. Naturally Mitch could also let 'er rip when it was called for!

• Members

Having adopted a two year old, my precious few moments of personal time are spent practicing... However, given the child's affinity for music coupled with nap time, I can easily get 4 hours in on an acoustic... ( mixed with singing and djembe lessons)... The kids a natural!

• Members

Thanks! Yes, this will be the fifth one... Not my first time around this block, although this one wakes up singing or laughing every morning... And he brings me rocks... Being a stone sculptor this is a special thing...

Archived