Kick drum stomp box question...

miden

• Members

I am looking to buy a kick drum type stomp pedal, but the guy making them and selling them also has a snare drum version. Is that overkill, and should I just stick with the basic kick unit? I am playing left hand bass, with normal keys on the right, and I am trying to get away from backing drum tracks to a more "raw" live sound so to speak.

• Moderators

I like the idea, but the single sound from the module is limited... if you could put both modules in one panel, with a raised pivot point so that you could go heel/toe with one foot, it would probably work for you...something like the heel and toe model here, maybe :

Peterman did, however, get the best sound I have ever heard out of a Martin Backpacker!

TAH, If you had the Farmer Foot Drum and a Baitar, you could be a one man power trio!

• Members

That link was cool dm but still only really two "kick drum" type sounds...the Peterman snare unit gives a "snare sound, http://www.peterman.com.au/music/Acoustic_stompbox/Megastomp-snare so this one combined with the "kick" in one pedal suits a keys player who does not have both feet available, but I am still wondering IF the addition of a snare type sound is overkill for this type of device or if it adds a worthwhile dynamic?

• Moderators

I think anything that opens up additional range/dynamics is worth it, as long as it makes musical sense with the material. But also, the kick/snare combination will begin to wear on the listener after a while, unless everything else makes it seem integral. The option to move between, though, is good, IMHO...

• Members

That is a good point you raise, it COULD become wearing on the listener (and the player ;) ) whereas just the kick, as it is such a simple device, is far easier to use sparingly...hmmm more research needed I think.

• Members

Sorry, I did and for some reason it turned into gibberish (more than my usual) and the edit function only let me delete, then I ran out of time. What I was going to say was I would really like to hear any results from your research as I am very much in the market. I bought an Alexis drum machine last year whilst in Austin but have found using it live very restricting as I have a lot of audience interaction and will occasionally talk with the crowd during a song or slow down or speed up etc. so my next idea was to use the pads on the Alexis which are programmable, and if I was careful I could tap with my boot the corner pad and therefore get a kick or a snare sound, but it was all just a bit fiddly. However if I could somehow get a pedal to work it, I think there would be some milage in it. Unfortunately the pedals that it is designed to use only start a set pattern or change it to a different pattern. Currently I have gone as low tech as I can, and obtained a metal tambourine, which I have squashed to an oval shape, added a strong elastic strap to the now flattened bottom and the added a small amount of felt duck taped to the underneath. With this on my boot I can stomp, rock or shake and unmiked it is remarkably loud. I did try with just the tambourine on the ground but after half a sounds my calf was aching. So the latter looks like what I am stuck with for the moment, it's not pretty but it definitely adds to my sound and goodness knows I need all the help I can get. Cheers Steve

• Members
I am looking to buy a kick drum type stomp pedal' date=' but the guy making them and selling them also has a snare drum version. Is that overkill, and should I just stick with the basic kick unit? I am playing left hand bass, with normal keys on the right, and I am trying to get away from backing drum tracks to a more "raw" live sound so to speak.[/quote']

What's the matter, you don't like the classic poolside keys, congas and drum machine sound?

Seriously though, are you sure you want to play left hand bass, keys in the right, and drums with your feet? Seems like a lot, especially when you throw in your sustain pedal. I also noticed in the demo videos that the meter wasn't really locked in. Personally I'd rather hear a drum machine than someone attempting (but failing) to play in time.

These devices also seem to be geared towards the rootsy sound of guitars and such. Since the keys are electric anyway, I don't think a drum machine is way off the mark - as it sometimes is with acoustic guitar. Of course, maybe you're doing rootsy stuff on keys and the kick will sound great - one never knows.

• Members
Sorry' date=' I did and for some reason it turned into gibberish (more than my usual) and the edit function only let me delete, then I ran out of time. What I was going to say was I would really like to hear any results from your research as I am very much in the market. I bought an Alexis drum machine last year whilst in Austin but have found using it live very restricting as I have a lot of audience interaction and will occasionally talk with the crowd during a song or slow down or speed up etc. so my next idea was to use the pads on the Alexis which are programmable, and if I was careful I could tap with my boot the corner pad and therefore get a kick or a snare sound, but it was all just a bit fiddly. However if I could somehow get a pedal to work it, I think there would be some milage in it. Unfortunately the pedals that it is designed to use only start a set pattern or change it to a different pattern. Currently I have gone as low tech as I can, and obtained a metal tambourine, which I have squashed to an oval shape, added a strong elastic strap to the now flattened bottom and the added a small amount of felt duck taped to the underneath. With this on my boot I can stomp, rock or shake and unmiked it is remarkably loud. I did try with just the tambourine on the ground but after half a sounds my calf was aching. So the latter looks like what I am stuck with for the moment, it's not pretty but it definitely adds to my sound and goodness knows I need all the help I can get. Cheers Steve[/quote']

Steve, the Peterman site also has this one...might be better suited to what you want/need.. http://www.peterman.com.au/music/Acoustic_stompbox/stompystompbass

• Members

What's the matter, you don't like the classic poolside keys, congas and drum machine sound?

Seriously though, are you sure you want to play left hand bass, keys in the right, and drums with your feet? Seems like a lot, especially when you throw in your sustain pedal. I also noticed in the demo videos that the meter wasn't really locked in. Personally I'd rather hear a drum machine than someone attempting (but failing) to play in time.

These devices also seem to be geared towards the rootsy sound of guitars and such. Since the keys are electric anyway, I don't think a drum machine is way off the mark - as it sometimes is with acoustic guitar. Of course, maybe you're doing rootsy stuff on keys and the kick will sound great - one never knows.

Thanks Shaster, I have been using backing tracks (mostly drums) and arranger type apps (vArranger) for some time, but, I dunno - maybe I am getting old - but it is juts all seeming too "produced" to me these days...and there is just something about the simplicity of using this sort of system that appeals. Not to mention it makes picking ANY tune and playing it a snap, as there is zero pre-setup of tracks or anything like that involved.

• Members

Thanks Shaster, I have been using backing tracks (mostly drums) and arranger type apps (vArranger) for some time, but, I dunno - maybe I am getting old - but it is juts all seeming too "produced" to me these days...and there is just something about the simplicity of using this sort of system that appeals. Not to mention it makes picking ANY tune and playing it a snap, as there is zero pre-setup of tracks or anything like that involved.

Hey I hear you. I use tracks myself and have tried to get back to basics. Tried a looper pedal a while back but it seemed to be more trouble than it was worth (of course that's not everyone's experience with them). The other thing with the looper pedal was that I wound up sounding like all the other musicians in their twenties who were named after States or cities. Aplologies to anyone named Dakota or Phoenix! OT - I sure hope no one has recently named their kid Sochi...

I also looked into a stomp pedal but it didn't seem like It would fit my style. I do know of one guitarist that uses bass foot pedals and a drum machine. He's been working that angle for quite some time now, with good results.

• Members

Thanks - I did think drum machine but to me that was akin to juts sticking with "trax" - it's a toughy...I still have gigs where I HAVE to use backing tracks for dancing and so on, but I really prefer not to do them..I figure if I can get set with a "soul cleansing" back to basics rig, it could offset :D I have a lot of more "acoustic" type chilled gigs now which are the ones this newer system would be for. And strangely enough a few folks have said they actually prefer the "less is more" approach saying they are tired of all the canned music going around??

Archived