Give me an answer, drop me a line (dance)

steve mac

• Members

I have been booked to do a gig at a horse ranch in a couple of months, it's an outdoor BBQ type thing and they want to finish the night off with some line dancing of which I have no experience, I am assured that they are fairly experienced line dancers there and as long as I provided lively tunes. So I was going to use backing tracks but other than Wagon Wheel am struggling a bit. Anyone got any line dancing experience can advise. With music that goes down well etc. Cheers Steve

• Moderators

I forgot about Cotton Eyed Joe...I once had people line dancing to 'Memphis'...it is all about the beat/tempo and simplicity.

Funny personal story about line dancing...in the late '80s, I use to have to go up to the Red River area (border of Tex/Okla, Lake Texhoma) for business. and my second time there, I had to stay over the weekend, so being the crazy guy I was, I decided to go check out the local music scene on Friday night; so armed with a number of 'club cards' (hard to explain, but the 'dry' counties in Texas still have bars, but they are 'private membership'), I headed to Dennison and found a bar that I had a card for. I had barely ordered my first beer (a Longhorn) when the band struck up a song...and literally everyone in the bar but me got up and started dancing in synch...I had never seen such a thing in my life...it was very Twilight Zone-ish...and I wrote a song about it...

• Members
Of course' date=' the Turkish may have other ideas.[/quote']

Bob, my audience are exclusively European holiday makers, I do get the odd Turkish waiter joining in but Turkish music v Standard Western music are so different that hardly anyone appreciates both.

thanks for the suggestions though love the idea of cotton eyed joe and Achy breakie, never even considered Lay down sally so all good.

As and aside Daddy this time last year I was in Texarkana and went for a night in a local bar/restaurant, couldn't park the car for pick up trucks and inside was standing room only, a live band (excellent) struck up and everyone as one climbed onto the huge wooden benches and with waitresses bringing in fresh supplies of beer stayed there dancing the night away, one of the best nights ever.

Cheers Steve

• Members

maybe they were dancing to something like "Walkin' the Dog."

Get 'way back, and snap your fingers, get over Sally, one and all

Grab your gal and don't you linger. Do that slow-drag 'round the hall

Do that step, the "Texas Tommy," drop, like you're sitting on a log

Rise slow and that will show, the dance called walkin' the dog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDB0hBFkHg4

• 5 weeks later...

Archived