How do you practise?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Potts View Post

I do the Cindy Lauper version and it goes over well. lol
    I like Tuck and Patti's version, but Cyndi's is fine too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZC8J5oX1pg

Anyway, I do the jazz standard, which is basically a more uptempo version of Chet's take http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcK4J8m42Fs

Comment

Originally posted by Shaster View Post

I like Tuck and Patti's version, but Cyndi's is fine too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZC8J5oX1pg

Anyway, I do the jazz standard, which is basically a more uptempo version of Chet's take http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcK4J8m42Fs
      Funny, I always think of Chet Baker as a horn player*, not a singer...then again, 1956...when this was released, I was going on 3...

* fantastic/extremely underrated by modern generations...his glow and lyrical style was overshadowed by Miles' neo-bop in the 60s, and so now few people really know who he is. He was definitely right up there with Satchmo, Dizzy...one of my CJ regulars is a huge...HUGE...Chet Baker fan, btw
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
      "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Well, it's much easier to learn 12 blues songs, than 12 jazz standards. The blues songs can be put together in a matter of a few days, the jazz songs may take months or longer depending on how complicated they are. Whenever putting a band together I make it a point to start out with easy songs so the band can start gigging asap. Too many weeks of rehearsing and no gigs isn't good in most cases.
        BD

Comment

I agree to a point about 'picking the low hanging fruit' first, but it also usually makes the band sound like every other band, because they all do the same thing....as a solo, though, to me it makes no difference, 12 songs in 2 weeks is a new song a day, pretty much, and I am not talking I-IV-V or I-iv-IV-V. I just can't absorb that much material that fast and pump it all back out at 100%
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'
          "The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

It's a balancing act. Diane--my singing partner--will get us gigs (or just have a notion) that requires learning a bunch of songs. Last time was a pre-St.Pat's event. We learned six Irish (real Irish) songs but she also insisted we have a set of "dance" songs, which meant brushing up a set's worth of R&B which I love to play but don't keep performance-ready. The work falls on me to get the words, learn the chords and sometimes sing. And practise practise practise. Diane will sing most of them.

Obviously, the ones I've got in my songbook but maybe haven't played in a bit are easy enough to dust off. Learning brand new songs, though, takes a long time and very occasionally it's a train wreck when we perform them. I don't like that. We've got a WWI gig coming up in July which means all songs from before 1919. That's a lot of learning even in that amount of time. On the other hand, I'm learning piles about the music of the time (thank you! iTunes, YouTube and Wikipedia) and picking up some dandy material. In this case, I'm starting with a small collection of songs I already do or know and then building up the collection as I listen to recordings from that period. But I do want to make sure that most of them are re-usable. And it keeps me pretty busy. Sometimes I lean on her to settle for a bunch of songs we already know.
            Last edited by pogo97; 03-28-2014, 07:08 PM.
            Originally posted by senorblues;
            ... But if it's all about familiarity, then maybe I should avoid rooms that hire guitars. There's no point in doing Creedence, Zep, Buffet, etc. all night.

Comment

Still, it would be almost impossible, IMHO, to do justice to a dozen great songs in that short a period. As you said, 'trainwreck'...somewhere in there, it would all just start to fall apart...seriously, to master a dozen songs that quickly would be impossible for me. "A man's gotta know his limitations..."..and I'm not 'feeling lucky, punk..."

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
                Still, it would be almost impossible, IMHO, to do justice to a dozen great songs in that short a period. As you said, 'trainwreck'...somewhere in there, it would all just start to fall apart...seriously, to master a dozen songs that quickly would be impossible for me. "A man's gotta know his limitations..."..and I'm not 'feeling lucky, punk..."
                I agree. And I have had my limitations smack me in the face once or twice. In the case I remember best, I barely-had a great calypso song that I've loved for years but never learned until this opportunity. When the time came to play it, there was an led array shining in my face so I couldn't quite read the lyrics. Disaster. It was the two things put together, but it didn't matter. Train wreck. Live and learn, c'est la vie, etcetera etcetera
                Last edited by pogo97; 03-28-2014, 09:57 PM.
                ... But if it's all about familiarity, then maybe I should avoid rooms that hire guitars. There's no point in doing Creedence, Zep, Buffet, etc. all night.

Comment

Fortunately Leilani and I have been a duo for a long time and have amassed over 500 songs. Every St Patty day we break out the same old sing along songs -- sometimes we learn a new one, if it works we keep it for next year, if it doesn't we drop it.

Playing the baby-boomer crowd has it's advantages, we don't have to learn a lot of new songs that will be 'old hat' and passe in a month or two. It has slowly evolved though, when we started doing this market it meant a lot of light jazz standards from what is now called "The American Songbook" and doing something as new as the Beatles will get you thrown out of there. Now they'll tell you "Harry James Is Dead" and everything from Elvis to DIsco is our mainstay. We do newer material when it gets accepted by that age group, but unlike when I played in Top40 bands, once learned they are good for years and not out of style in a month or two.

I would never take a job that I would be ill prepared for. If I need to learn songs, I'd figure whether I had the time to do a decent job of learning and performing them in my head before I ever said "Yes or No". If I don't have the time, I'd explain that I'd love to take the job, but with my heavy gigging schedule there just isn't enough time to learn that many songs and do a good job. If only you had come to me sooner, I would have done it. (or something like that).

IMHO doing a less than excellent job is worse than not taking the gig - YMMV

Notes
                  Bob "Notes" Norton
                  Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
                  Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box and add on styles for Microsoft SongSmith
                  The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Originally posted by Notes_Norton View Post

IMHO doing a less than excellent job is worse than not taking the gig - YMMV

Notes
                    My take as well!

Comment

That's why I think it's better to concentrate on 3 or 4 songs at a time rather than 12. Of course there are times one has to learn a bunch asap, i.e. putting a band together from scratch, working into a band that needs a replacement quickly… a gig that calls for a different genre than what you've been doing...

I'm sure most of us old timers er... veterans have been through these scenarios.
                      BD

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dey View Post
                        That's why I think it's better to concentrate on 3 or 4 songs at a time rather than 12. Of course there are times one has to learn a bunch asap, i.e. putting a band together from scratch, working into a band that needs a replacement quickly… a gig that calls for a different genre than what you've been doing...

I'm sure most of us old timers er... veterans have been through these scenarios.
                        Thank you Bob. I was beginning to feel like a bad person.

Comment

Not bad - just different. There is more than one right way to do this.
                          Bob "Notes" Norton
                          Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com
                          Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box and add on styles for Microsoft SongSmith
                          The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

Comment

Anyhow....

The theme of this year's Gananoque Skating Club's Ice show was summertime. I loaned them my canoe and paddles. When I brought it home, I left it on the car. "Leave it for the light of day." I figured.

Woke up this morning to 15 cm of fresh snow. Which complicates the job of getting canoe off the van (hardly life-shattering, mind you). It would make for a good photo but my wife dropped the camera last week...

My daughter Acacia skated a solo to "Kokomo." and did a lovely job until she fell. She was perfect in the afternoon show, but whatever in the evening and it really knocked her off the rest of the skate. Such a pity. But it's in the nature of figure skating (which is based around competition) to push yourself and take calculated risks. Maybe she fell because the element was too hard and she shouldn't have attempted it. Maybe she hadn't practised enough or effectively. Maybe her skate caught something from a previous skater. She did, though, get some experience in recovering from a public mis-step and that's probably worth something.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dey View Post

but a band situation is far different from the soloist situation. As a soloist, I am lead singer, backup singer, rhythm guitarist, lead guitarist...in a band I fulfill one or maybe two roles...the level of mastery of each song is far different.

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post

Funny, I always think of Chet Baker as a horn player*, not a singer...then again, 1956...when this was released, I was going on 3...

* fantastic/extremely underrated by modern generations...his glow and lyrical style was overshadowed by Miles' neo-bop in the 60s, and so now few people really know who he is. He was definitely right up there with Satchmo, Dizzy...one of my CJ regulars is a huge...HUGE...Chet Baker fan, btw
                                I LOVE Chet Baker's singing. He sounds like a fourteen-year-old angel.

Last edited by pogo97; 04-28-2014, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X