DJ's or Live Music?

RoadRanger

• Members
This doesn't seen any more of a live music vs DJ thing than it did in the other forum....
Yah, I accidentally posted here first - I meant to to post in BSWTB. If the forum software worked I would have deleted it here but no joy :( . The kinds of places that hire solos and duos don't generally have earbleed urban dance music on the other nights LOL.

• Members
I know of a DJ in Newark, NJ that advises bar owners to have a dress code to avoid having gang thug types coming in. Also have the DJ play older R&B instead of Hip Hop. Roadranger, what's your location?
NE CT, the poor part of the state.

• Members

I've been doing a regular Saturday afternoon sound and guitar gig lately. We play from 4 to 7:00 pm, then a Salsa DJ comes in and plays music for the Salsa classes. On Sunday, they have a Sunday Soul trio playing in the afternoon, and then an eight piece swing band, along with a DJ playing the same music. They also have comedy nights and so forth. Fridays are their only "urban" dance music and that is relatively tame - but loud. anyway, those DJ's are fine, and the volume is "self limited" by the adjacent business complaints.

But yes, if it gets too gangsta then there are problems. I have a friend in LA who used to work at a bar where many of the staff wore bullet proof vests - for good reason. Now that's just crazy. I'd rather collect pop bottles from dumpsters, than work at a place like that.

• Members
I know of a DJ in Newark, NJ that advises bar owners to have a dress code to avoid having gang thug types coming in. Also have the DJ play older R&B instead of Hip Hop. Roadranger, what's your location?
He "advises" they play older R&B? Yeah, it's kind of a no-brainer that if you fear violence breaking out in your parking lot, then you don't have entertainment that appeals to a younger/rowdier crowd. The club owners probably don't need the DJs advice in order to be able to figure this out. Hire a ragtime piano player and I'm guessing you'll have no crowd problems whatsoever.... Older R&B is great. Personally, I enjoy it MUCH more than Hip Hop. I also haven't been out to a nightclub (unless I'm on vacation somewhere) in years because I'm 52.

• Moderators
I have a friend in LA who used to work at a bar where many of the staff wore bullet proof vests - for good reason.
That is a tad extreme...now. Ten to fifteen years ago, though, if you were in an 'urban' venue, you knew you were likely gonna see someone get 'capped'. This town has many facets, and that one is still around, but not as prevalent as it was....still, the gangs are still here, for sure, and the cops can't seem to crack the cycle.

In the late 90s, a friend of mine and I went to a club in LA because his nephew was DJing there. They were running metal detection wands over everyone who came in. At first they didn't even want to let me in until I swore I wasn't undercover LACS (LA County Sherrifs Department). Bad choice, as it turned out I was the only Caucasian in the room, and many patrons went out of their way to remind me of that ["but, I'm with the DJ..."]...and we left pretty early...mainly, it was too loud and the 'music' was just abysmally bad.

• Members
That is a tad extreme...now. Ten to fifteen years ago, though, if you were in an 'urban' venue, you knew you were likely gonna see someone get 'capped'. This town has many facets, and that one is still around, but not as prevalent as it was....still, the gangs are still here, for sure, and the cops can't seem to crack the cycle.

In the late 90s, a friend of mine and I went to a club in LA because his nephew was DJing there. They were running metal detection wands over everyone who came in. At first they didn't even want to let me in until I swore I wasn't undercover LACS (LA County Sherrifs Department). Bad choice, as it turned out I was the only Caucasian in the room, and many patrons went out of their way to remind me of that ["but, I'm with the DJ..."]...and we left pretty early...mainly, it was too loud and the 'music' was just abysmally bad.

My friend switched jobs, over to Staples Center (or whatever it's called now) quite a few years back, so maybe it was close to ten years - hard to say. All I know is that people were getting shot there, and she left asap.

Bad stuff can happen anywhere though. Just a week or so ago, a couple of guys got shot on the street here in Vancouver. It was very close to a super trendy and posh hotel, which is also right across the street from the convention centre. In fact, that's the hotel where Cory ?? from Glee overdosed on heroin - and also the hotel where I play sometimes. It's a bit of a crap shoot out there in this big old world.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Shooting+Vancouver+Coal+Harbour+leaves+gangster+dead+second+hospital/9604534/story.html

Archived