Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

By the way, is your washboard surface metal or glass?
    Hi Mom!

Comment

Can you do your laundry while doing the gig with that thing?
      Winner of best guitarist in the house. (my house)!

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Dey View Post
        only at the risk of electrocution...

Also TAH, you do realize you don't need the entire washboard and frame, right? You could eliminate a lot of wasted space just having the contact surface trimmed to the width of a 2x4, and hinge mount that with a locking pin, and you could even form it to match the curvature of the pedal motion arc....sorry, I get carried away sometimes...
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Originally posted by pogo97 View Post
          By the way, is your washboard surface metal or glass?
          Metal, but looking for a glass one, to check out if there's much variation in tone. Don't know if glass ones are being made these days...mine came from Rhythm Band (http://cdn.opentip.com/Musical-Instr...FUoV7Aod7TsASw), mostly because RBI is nearby and a buddy, who works there, gets me a decent discount..
          God(s) bless the rest of the world(s), too

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post

Also TAH, you do realize you don't need the entire washboard and frame, right? You could eliminate a lot of wasted space just having the contact surface trimmed to the width of a 2x4, and hinge mount that with a locking pin, and you could even form it to match the curvature of the pedal motion arc....sorry, I get carried away sometimes...
            Hmmmm....that's an interesting idea! Next time I go hit the flea markets, I'll look for another one (or three) and try your suggestion. Been wondering about how I might make the action horizontal, instead of vertical, as well.

Just in passing, this gizmo has brought my lovely wife and lovely mom-in-law a lot of amusement...every time she (M-i-M) visits, she asks to see it, and tries it, herself, while doodling around on my daughter's piano...I'm building her one for her next birthday.

Comment

[QUOTE=Bob Dey]

Only if they tip lavishly! philthumb

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post

Metal, but looking for a glass one, to check out if there's much variation in tone. Don't know if glass ones are being made these days...mine came from Rhythm Band (http://cdn.opentip.com/Musical-Instr...FUoV7Aod7TsASw), mostly because RBI is nearby and a buddy, who works there, gets me a decent discount..
                I have an old glass one my cousin gave me in the barn. I've never tried to use it. I also have a tub for a washtub bass.
                Hi Mom!

Comment

TAH, any more info on the values of the additional electronic components in that small stomp(the caps or resistors)? Is it a hollow box type thing or is it a solid piece of wood with channels routed out for the piezo element and the wiring?
                  JAM Guitar Lessons. The Long Johns.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post

Hmmmm....that's an interesting idea! Next time I go hit the flea markets, I'll look for another one (or three) and try your suggestion. Been wondering about how I might make the action horizontal, instead of vertical, as well.
                    if you could form the metal surface to the right radius, you could put the 'spoon' on a small dowel anchored to a pivot post with a spring return....which would allow you to really condense the size of the unit....dang it, I want half the patent income if this works out!
                    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminent period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

Comment

Originally posted by joshmac View Post
                      TAH, any more info on the values of the additional electronic components in that small stomp(the caps or resistors)? Is it a hollow box type thing or is it a solid piece of wood with channels routed out for the piezo element and the wiring?
                      A pair of 330uF in series to give [approx.) 165uF

150uF-100V Non-Polarized Capacitor

Pretty straight forward...if you still have any Radio Shacks open nearby, they'll likely have 'em.

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post

if you could form the metal surface to the right radius, you could put the 'spoon' on a small dowel anchored to a pivot post with a spring return....which would allow you to really condense the size of the unit....dang it, I want half the patent income if this works out!
                        LOL...this gizmo just might be bigger that the Les Paul and Stratocaster combined!

Comment

OK, here's the newest version. I built a Toe Tapper into the right side, so that, through the two outputs, I can run the Toe Tapper into one PA channel, EQd to total bass, no treble or mids (therefore, sounds a lot like a bass drum), while the washboard part is EQ'd "flat" (treble, mids, bass neither cut nor boosted) and run into another channel. Used it last night at a restaurant gig and it worked very well.

One thing that I didn't anticipate, but pleases me, is how little "crosstalk" there is between the two pickups...the Tapper's pickup amplifies very little of the washboard, the washboard's pickup amplifies very little of the Tapper. I'm assuming that this is because the metal in the washboard part is not coupled tightly to the wood frame.

Going to paint it today and make it look a little neater.

A drummer friend is having me give his daughter mandolin lessons in return for him giving me basic drum lessons...he's really opened my eyes as to the possibilities of this simple gadget! Now, it's just a lot of wood-shedding until I can coordinate playing more interesting rhythms while singing, playing guitar and tootling on my harmonicas.

Last edited by Terry Allan Hall; 04-04-2014, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Please post a larger picture? For whatever reason these are visible to me only as small thumbnails, the pictures you uploaded earlier opened a larger popup when clicked on.

Looks really cool though, from what I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by deepflight View Post
                              Please post a larger picture? For whatever reason these are visible to me only as small thumbnails, the pictures you uploaded earlier opened a larger popup when clicked on.

Looks really cool though, from what I can see.
                              Will retake some ASAP.

Comment

OK, finally remembered that I'd promised to put up pics (been pretty busy)...hadn't painted it yet, so it still looks a little rough.
                                :
                                From the top:

From the bottom:

Top output jack is for the Toe Tapper, bottom one is for the washboard. I tap with my right foot, work the washboard (tap the "slider" for a "sorta hi-hat" sound or slide it back and forth for a guiro/snare/alternate sound) with my left.

Performed at a local flea market last Saturday, made decent $$$, and got 3 orders for the "Delta Drum Set"...

Comment

Working...
                                X