Whale & Ocean Samples?

IsildursBane

• Members

some spectral music of the 60s and 70s was composed using the analysis of waves or whales recordings

at a conference about spectral music I heard the originial samples, but I don't know if they are open source

these composers were Gerard Grisey (but he is dead now) and Tristan Murail (who is still a composer)

for the sea itself, it's easy to borrow a DAT or tape recorder and to go record on field

the problem is about the whales of course ; maybe you should send an e-mail to oceanographic institutes

they should have high quality recordings (else their scientific analysis would be "wrong") ; on the Internet they only give "examples" for a wide audience who doesn't mind poor sound ;

during a tour with a band we met a girl who told us about a former jazzman and electronic musician (but what was his name ?) who was currently "improvising with the whales" near to the noth pole (so, someone a bit crazy of course)

if you manage to find this guy, that's a good contact

• Members

i stuck a mic in a ziploc once...to record drums underwater..that worked alright, as long and the drum head is above water with some cushion of air beofre the shell was in teh water.

I'll give you a little more helpful advice: do a search on google for New Age music or whatever, i used to have a tape of whale sounds, but have lost it over the years..there are definately CD's of it marketed as "sleep music" as well...

• Members

Originally posted by the_resonator

i stuck a mic in a ziploc once...to record drums underwater..that worked alright, as long and the drum head is above water with some cushion of air beofre the shell was in teh water.

You could also use a condom too. Just as long as its not the spermicidal lubracated kind. Although, I can think of much better uses for those.... :D

• 6 months later...
  • Members

Originally posted by IsildursBane

Does anybody know where I can find some decent, preferably free, samples of whale songs?

I've found a bunch of whale research sites that have actual audio clips, but they all have a ton of background noise.

-Dan.

http://www.findsounds.com/

Noise can be reduced with GoldWave for example.

Archived