Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Whale & Ocean Samples?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whale & Ocean Samples?

Does anybody know where I can find some decent, preferably free, samples of whale songs?

I've found a bunch of whale research sites that have actual audio clips, but they all have a ton of background noise.

-Dan.
    <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.</i></div>

some spectral music of the 60s and 70s was composed using the analysis of waves or whales recordings

at a conference about spectral music I heard the originial samples, but I don't know if they are open source

these composers were Gerard Grisey (but he is dead now) and Tristan Murail (who is still a composer)

for the sea itself, it's easy to borrow a DAT or tape recorder and to go record on field
    the problem is about the whales of course ; maybe you should send an e-mail to oceanographic institutes
    they should have high quality recordings (else their scientific analysis would be "wrong") ; on the Internet they only give "examples" for a wide audience who doesn't mind poor sound ;

during a tour with a band we met a girl who told us about a former jazzman and electronic musician (but what was his name ?) who was currently "improvising with the whales" near to the noth pole (so, someone a bit crazy of course)
    if you manage to find this guy, that's a good contact

Comment

Originally posted by IsildursBane
      I've found a bunch of whale research sites that have actual audio clips, but they all have a ton of background noise.

...must be hard to squeeze one of those fellas in through the door of the studio......
      <div class="signaturecontainer"><a href="http://www.oddbodsfinger.com/music.html" target="_blank">oddbodsfinger.com</a><br />
      <br />
      <br />
      <br />
      <font size="1">&quot;the godd things is that you are perfect people living perefct lives .. .... <br />
      with no mistakes, and error i their what soo ever ... and are better and much much superior than ebry one ..&quot; - excerpt from the collective wisdoms of chick korea</font><br />
      </div>

Comment

Well, if you have a large enough loading dock...

I wonder what mics you could use to get the definative whale recordings?
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Keeper of the Almighty Johnny...</font><br />
        <br />
        <div class="bbcode_container">
        <div class="bbcode_quote">
        <div class="quote_container">
        <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

<i>Originally posted by wades_keys </i><br />
        <b>Man, the dissonance is crushing. </b>

</div>
        </div>
        </div> </div>

Comment

i stuck a mic in a ziploc once...to record drums underwater..that worked alright, as long and the drum head is above water with some cushion of air beofre the shell was in teh water.

I'll give you a little more helpful advice: do a search on google for New Age music or whatever, i used to have a tape of whale sounds, but have lost it over the years..there are definately CD's of it marketed as "sleep music" as well...
          <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;well, are you on our side?<br />
          <br />
          --i doubt it.<br />
          <br />
          But you don't even know who <i>we</i> are!!<br />
          <br />
          --i still doubt it.</div>

Comment

Hit some chain CD stores. I have a CD of Whale Songs I bought for $3.99 for years ago - perfectly good (I used them in a live performance once, too!)
            <div class="signaturecontainer">Where would Kraftwerk be without the Beach Boys or James Brown? Where would hip-hop be without Kraftwerk?<br />
            <br />
            - Ronan Harris</div>

Comment

Good ideas guys, thanks. I think the sleep music would probably be my best bet.

-Dan.
              <div class="signaturecontainer"><i>Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones.</i></div>

Comment

Originally posted by the_resonator
                i stuck a mic in a ziploc once...to record drums underwater..that worked alright, as long and the drum head is above water with some cushion of air beofre the shell was in teh water.

You could also use a condom too. Just as long as its not the spermicidal lubracated kind. Although, I can think of much better uses for those....
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><font size="1">Keeper of the Almighty Johnny...</font><br />
                <br />
                <div class="bbcode_container">
                <div class="bbcode_quote">
                <div class="quote_container">
                <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

<i>Originally posted by wades_keys </i><br />
                <b>Man, the dissonance is crushing. </b>

</div>
                </div>
                </div> </div>

Comment

Originally posted by IsildursBane
                  Does anybody know where I can find some decent, preferably free, samples of whale songs?

-Dan.

http://www.findsounds.com/
                  Noise can be reduced with GoldWave for example.
                  <div class="signaturecontainer"><font color="SILVER"><font size="1">Audigy 4 Pro, BIAB 2007, Cameleon 5000, EZ-250i, JAMMER Pro 6, Juno-D, MAGIX music maker 11, MAGIX music studio 2005, PowerTracks 11, Rhino 2, RT-223;<br />
                  <a href="http://www.soundclick.com/bands/songInfo.cfm?bandID=492212&amp;songID=4816736" target="_blank">http://www.soundclick.com/bands/song...songID=4816736</a></font></font></div>

Comment

mmmm whalemeat
                    greyson peddie
                    <div class="signaturecontainer"><br />
                    <a href="http://www.againsttcpa.com" target="_blank">Protect your freedom of computer choice</a><br />
                    3 alesis mmt-8's for sale, PM me for details.</div>

Comment

Working...
                    X