Need help selecting a second synth

pachangeros

• Members

I already have a Kurzweil K2600X and a number of soft synths, but I'm looking for a second portable (ie., 61 key) synth I can take around with me as needed. The following are the main things I want for its features:

1. Under $1,000 (could be used)

2. Acceptable pianos, organs, etc (I'll take the Kurzweil to important gigs, but need something at least usable in this category)

3. Arpeggiator, good techno & dance sounds, nice pads

4. Ability to import/read either CD-ROMs or .wav files

I've basically come down with two options:

1. Korg Triton LE (~$900 used)

2. Korg X5 w/ Yamaha AN200 & Yamaha SU 200 (~$600 used)

Am I missing anything out there? Are these good choices given my criteria above? Thanks.

• Members

Roland's XP-30, which is not being produced any more, would be another good candidate.

It would probably meet your criteria, though I'm not sure about your item no. 4

Some online vendors may still have - or some music stores - and could give a good deal, just to move the stock. I think they were going for $899 new last time I saw one for sale.

BTW -

I have a Korg Triton Le, which I also use as a second synth in the same fashion you describe. It is awesome! But it's pianos suck, so if you really need good pianos in this 'board, look elsewhere.

Gig Man

:cool:;)

• Members

Originally posted by Learning67

but the internal sounds in the xp30 are weak. and I dont know if there are any good acoustic piano sounds in JV sound cards. Weak arpegiator too.

Maybe one of those newer novation keybaords with a kurz ME-1?

Maybe I'm just not as "particular" but I checked out the Roland XP-30 in summer '02 and didn't think the sounds were all that weak. I did, however, wind up buying the Korg Triton Le at that time, but only because I thought it had better techno/synth type sounds (better than the XP-30). But the Triton Le is about 300-400 dollars more than a Roland XP-30. Evilbay has used Roland XP-30's all the time - here's one for $589.00 at the "Buy it Now" price (which means if you bid on it, you might even get it for less if you have the highest bid)...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2368098617&category=38090

I still think the pianos in the XP-30 are WAY better than those in the Triton Le - at least the acoustic ones. The Triton Le does have some decent Rhodes & Wurlitzer sounds though.

Gig Man

:D;)

• Members

What do you guys think about the Korg N5? I stumbled upon this synth on-line, and this could be a good fit also. Never paid attention to it when it was new in stores, so I've never really heard the synth or played the keys. Is it comparable to an 01/W soundwise, or does it have a weaker sound engine? I've found some of the Korg synths to have a phenomenal sound engine (Trinity), and others to be so-so but still respectable. Where would this fall?

• Members

Originally posted by Stopmakingsense

I'm suprised no one has suggested a used Motif 6.

It would push on your pricing ceiling, but it does everything you are specifying, and is just a very musical all around versitile instrument.

Only because you beat me to it. :) I second the used Motif 6.

Kiru

• 5 months later...
  • Members

The Motif 6. I reccomend it. Great synth with lots of capabilities. Acoustic sounds are good, although just slightly less quality than the Motif ES, but still good. Synth sounds are good and keyboard action is excellent.

It would compliment the Kurzweil nicely.

Regards,

p120dUdE

• Members

\and is certainly in a higher class to the excellent if over used korgs, the EX5 offers a much fuller and warmer Pro sound\

er ok..... a EX5 sounds better than a Triton with MOSS? Don;t know about that. The EX5 is a nice buy though for under 1 grand, and it's built like a tank.

But im going to agree with the others -Motiff 6.

• Members

your first choice is still the best. Triton LE.

has all that you want. light and portable. great organ, wurlie, synth/techno sounds, BEST arpeggiator, very usable if not the best pianos and rhodes. and it's still being made, and supported.

dont bother w sampling expansion, it's got all bases covered. you have kurz when you want to drag extra stuff/weight.

• Members

Originally posted by pagan

E-mu XK-6 -- $380-$600

Yamaha CS2x -- $700

egads, that's not us dollars is it? the CS2x shouldn't go for more than $300 used. but for what it's worth it's real good. better than most PSRs at least. but it was designed as a "control synth" so it probably doesn't satisfy most of your requirements.

I'd say the XP-30 is good except if can't read in samples like you wanted. The "good" piano and strings are on the session board, which is built into the XP-30.

Most of the complaints of the Triton Le is that the stock piano sucks, except the Le88 which has the EXB08's piano built in. Otherwise you'd have to get the sampler board installed and load a sample. I believe there is a Triton version of the 'Perfect piano' that's 32MB... technically it should work.

Archived