S90 and S80

Bronzee

• Members

I am trying to find a module that has the sounds of the yamaha S90 and S80...i have a yam p120. I don't want to spend alot, no higher then 400.00. If u know a module out there that fix the reques I would appreciate it. ? I was looking at a Yamaha Mu15 Palm Top Module...i was that nice B3 in it and piano sounds. Thanks

• Members

Try the Roland XV-5050 you can get one used for about $500.00 or try the Yamaha CS6x rack, it has great Rhodes and Piano patches on it. check some of the HC reviews. I personally love the Roland XV-5050 as I have the Yamaha S80 and the sounds on both are HOT!!!!

• Members

as posted in another thread recently, the s80 essentially has the same soundset as a cs6r. the s90 has the same sounds as the motif rack, though the rack is missing the s700 piano sample (not everyone sees this as a bad thing). any of the roland jv/xv racks will do you fine for that price. if you want some OLD romplers (for the sake of price) check out yamaha's mu80 or 100... the comparative roland modules are the sound canvases (i think the sc88 was around that time)... but like i said, those are pretty old modules, with some useable, but not great, samples.

• Members

The S-80 got at least some of its sounds from the classic EX-5 synthesizer, which has a rackmount version, the EX-5R, so you might look at snagging one of those off of ebay. You'd probably be able to find one in the 500-600 range, and it'd be worth the extra money for all the nifty things it can do, like built-in virtual analog and virtual acoustic synthesis.

Kiru

• Members

Also, the S-30 synthesizer has the same sounds as the S-80, with a five-octave semi-weighted keyboard and pitch/mod wheels. There's one currently on ebay for about $200 (reserve not met) and that's an option that you might consider, especially since you'd get a variety of keyboard action with that choice, as well as better controller capabilities than the P-120 offers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=64387&item=3718565552&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Kiru

• Members

Originally posted by Kirumamoru

Also, the S-30 synthesizer has the same sounds as the S-80, with a five-octave semi-weighted keyboard and pitch/mod wheels. There's one currently on ebay for about $200 (reserve not met) and that's an option that you might consider, especially since you'd get a variety of keyboard action with that choice, as well as better controller capabilities than the P-120 offers.

Kiru

I agree having owned an S30, the board has some really nice sounds. I would actually purchase another one if the price is right!!

Archived