Motion Sound vs Barbetta

slapshot

• Members

I have demoed the Motion Sound KT-80 which sounds great however a little lacking on the Low end. But a great little package it just needs a matching sub.

I also have demoed the JBL EON G2 whichis a great cabinet however a little on the noisy side (hissing) and not great in the mids plus an odd shape.

I have a Barbetta SONA 41 E coming soon plus a I will be demoing the comparable FBT powered Cabinet too.

I am looking for the best all around cabinet for Keyboards/Accostic Guitar in a compact package> Thanks for your input!

• Members

Originally posted by slapshot

I have demoed the Motion Sound KT-80 which sounds great however a little lacking on the Low end. But a great little package it just needs a matching sub.

I also have demoed the JBL EON G2 whichis a great cabinet however a little on the noisy side (hissing) and not great in the mids plus an odd shape.

I have a Barbetta SONA 41 E coming soon plus a I will be demoing the comparable FBT powered Cabinet too.

I am looking for the best all around cabinet for Keyboards/Accostic Guitar in a compact package> Thanks for your input!

Umm - if you already bought the Barbetta, then why are you asking these questions now? :eek::confused:

I have a pair of EON15 G2's + I think they're great - but you are right: they are a bit hissy. It is of course much more noticeable at home then when you are out on a gig, though.

:D:cool:

• Members

Not only do I have a Motion Sound KP-200s and JBL EON G2's but I'm about to add a KP-100s to the collection. Too many different applications - some places have strange acoustics too so a variety of amps and combinations works best for me. I didn't vote.

• Members

Regarding the speakers all ready purchased. I have them on demo from some music stores who stock the equipment. It sounds like the best bang for buck is leaning towards the FBT's The JBL is going back and so is the Motion sound KT-88.

I didn't like the shape and the hiss of the JBL. The KT-80 didn't seem to have enough bottom end for me either.

I am now waiting to get the Barbetta Sona 41 and FBT cabinets. I called Motion sound and they are coming out with more products including a sub which they claim will compliment evey thing they make. I am interested in the KPS-200 with a Sub which might be the ticket for the best combination. However the FBT are more versitile in the sense they can be used for PA or monitors.

• Members

It's expensive, but the Motion Sound KBR3D is the best amp I've ever owned or played through hands down. True stereo and a tube rotary channel in such a small LOUD box. Can't top it in overall greatness and versatility IMO. My Electro sounds phenominal through it especially on the organ sounds. Be prepared to spend about $1,100 though. Totally worth every penny IMO. No need to mic the horn. Has mics inside already with volume adjustability. Just hand the soundman two XLRs and plug it straight in. :)

• Members

That is a good point about competing with the bass player. I just love a nice full rich sounding accoustic guitar. I think for keys ithe Motion Sound products are outstanding. The JBL does a good damn good job probably because it is 15" speaker. However it is big and heavy. Does the KBR3D reach down in the low end well, do you think I would do accoustic guitar as well?

• Members

I think for keys ithe Motion Sound products are outstanding. The JBL does a good damn good job probably because it is 15" speaker. However it is big and heavy. Does the KBR3D reach down in the low end well, do you think I would do accoustic guitar as well?

The JBL EON15 G2 (46 lbs.) is actually lighter than the Motion Sound KP-200S (55 lbs.) + WAY lighter than the Motion Sound KBR-3D (70 lbs)! Both of those Motion-Sound models are proclaimed to be great amps by many on this forum, but they are pretty damn heavy, in my book! :eek:

However, it is true that you would have to carry a pair of JBL EON15 G2's to get same stereo sound the Motion Sound KP-200S gives you (although maybe not EXACTLY the same, some will argue) - and therefore you would actually be carrying 92 lbs. of JBL speakers (2 x 46 lbs.), which is actually MORE weight overall. Even so, find that I'd rather carry a couple of lighter pieces than just one big ole' mondo heavy bulky one.

To each his own, really... :D

:cool::p

• Members

Thanks gigman good point. One thing that intrigues me with the motion sound stuff is its compactness. I use a dolly anyway to move my stuff. Overall weight isn't that big of an issue the number of pieces is. The stage foot print is important too. I have a electric guitar backline to set up also which is a small rack and 2x12 cabinet.

• Members

I've been using a motion sound kt80 for the past 4 years. It's been on many tours and has played some really large venues. Almost always has the FOH sound guy used a mic on the amp rather than a direct from my keyboard (sampler). It's been completely abused and is missing almost all of the knobs, but it still trudges on. I love it! Recently on a couple of gigs, I had to play backup guitar, and I plugged the guitar into the tube channel of the kt80. The other guitarist was complementing my tone. I've also used powered monitors and they sound too clean and make my keyboard sound too "digital."

• Members

Thanks gigman good point. One thing that intrigues me with the motion sound stuff is its compactness. I use a dolly anyway to move my stuff. Overall weight isn't that big of an issue the number of pieces is. The stage foot print is important too. I have a electric guitar backline to set up also which is a small rack and 2x12 cabinet.

Small footprint is a definite plus with the Motion Sound amps. I saw the KBR-3D in person recently - a friend puts his newly acquired Nord Electro thru it, sounds awesome! - and the thing has TINY footprint for something that puts out such a big sound.

Re: Using a Dolly

Yeah, I use a dolly too - actually a big ole' handtruck with big fat pneumatic tires. But that doesn't help me get my stuff out of my basement and up the 11 stairs to the 1st floor, then out to the deck and down the stairs to the driveway... The getting it up the stairs from the basement part is what kills me - and is why I am always looking for ways to lighten up the load of my gear.

:D

• Members

Wow that is a lot of travel. I usually leave my gear at our rehearsal space and then move it to the gig and back. At home I have a DAW with some nice near field monitors to work on music at home.

Must be nice :D

Then again, I freelance with various bands + different gigs, as well as doing solo stuff - so I need to always have my equipment right at hand, for whatever comes up.

So I live with the stairs - heck, they came with the house! :eek:

I almost didn't buy the house because of the crummy load-out (up the basement stairs, out onto the deck + then down the deck stairs), but it was such a nice setup otherwise (house, yard, neighborhood, price, etc...) + my wife & I loved it in almost every other way that I made the sacrifice.

Besides, I may consider adding a side entrance to the basement - the metal "bilco doors" - so that would give me a more direct route out, and would reduce it to about only 5 stairs.

:cool:

• Members

It sounds like you have a nice home. Hey, we all need to get excersise right? I was lugging around a EON 15G2 and thought it was big. I guess the KBR-3D would be heavier but I would only need to make one trip. My concern is a nice well rounded sound with good tight bottom end not mushy. Most of the reviews I have read regarding the KBR-3D are all very positive. I think If I go "monitors" I would go with a small one space mixer, and a pair of FBT monitors. They are only 36lbs a piece however the cost and extra equipment would equate to about the same load as the KBR-3D and are about the same money just no spinning horn.

• Members

I am not a key board player, but I demo'da barbetta 41, with high hopes for use as a powered PA cabinet, having read rav reviews about it...

I was disappointed however... don't get me wrong, it is quitenice, and light and crisp and clear... but as far a having a big fat sound... it did not.

Ihave decided that there is not big fat sound in a single small light weight package. If you want that big fat sound, you have to caryy soimebig fat boxes around. Period.

Ended up getting step son the keyboard player a Peavy 600G powered mixer, which he runs bridged (800 watts) into a peavey two way cabinet that is rated for 700 waatts RMS, and THAT is a big fat sound. Unfortunately, he turns it up too loud most of the time because they don

't have much other of a PA, so if he ever does get to play with a decent PA, he will be hooked on having theat screamning cabinet right next to him on stage, and they will never get their stage volume down... oh well.

• Members

The JBL EON15 G2 (46 lbs.) is actually lighter than the Motion Sound KP-200S (55 lbs.) + WAY lighter than the Motion Sound KBR-3D (70 lbs)! Both of those Motion-Sound models are proclaimed to be great amps by many on this forum, but they are pretty damn heavy, in my book!

The KBR is not that heavy at all, and PLUS, you're getting a rotating horn, 3 true stereo channels AND one of them being a tube channel for the organ. The JBLs can't compete with all of that. I can honestly say that the KBR3D is easily the best overall keyboard amp on the market today. At least in my opinion. 70 lbs is still smaller and lighter than alot of guitar amps I've seen and the fact that no mics are needed is also a huge plus because I hate having to leave my rotary horn mix up to a soundman instead of getting the levels right myself.

• Members

Originally posted by Rbts

Ihave decided that there is not big fat sound in a single small light weight package. If you want that big fat sound, you have to caryy soimebig fat boxes around. Period.

The new Bose PAS system is a 12 pound "stick" that puts out 750 watts of clean power. It's expensive but people who've heard it have said it's very nice.

• Members

i have a kbr3d and agree that it has great sound in a relatively small albeit heavy package.

MS does not have good customer service or support.

MS refused to honor a warranty issue. After calls and emails sent by me and the dealer (musician's friend) from whom i purchased the unit i still couldn't get them to honor the warranty.

Their cases are not as durable as some on the market.

however, the sound is almost worth the other irritations.

• Members

Originally posted by oardrum

The KBR is not that heavy at all, and PLUS, you're getting a rotating horn, 3 true stereo channels AND one of them being a tube channel for the organ. The JBLs can't compete with all of that. I can honestly say that the KBR3D is easily the best overall keyboard amp on the market today. At least in my opinion. 70 lbs is still smaller and lighter than alot of guitar amps I've seen and the fact that no mics are needed is also a huge plus because I hate having to leave my rotary horn mix up to a soundman instead of getting the levels right myself.

I'm a small guy, so dragging 70lbs. up and down my tight basement stairs would lead me to declare it IS heavy... ha ha :eek:

However, sometimes the way that weight is dispersed is deceiving. The KBR3D is so compact that all the weight is in the center, and so maybe it doesn't FEEL as heavy as it really is... :confused:

• Members

MS does not have good customer service or support.

I'd have to disagree there. I've had superb support from them. I blew my horn in the amp AFTER the warranty expired and they still gave me a new one free of charge.

Also, rnitncop, I realize that there are better sounding speakers out there. It's pretty obvious considering what you can find it studios etc. However, from a practical standpoint, the Motion Sound has everything I need and sounds as good as any keyboard player would need to sound in a live setting. If you think that the average or even experienced listener in the audience would be able to tell the difference between a Motion Sound KBR3D and the speakers you're referring to, I'd have to disagree. Not only that, but do the FBT's offer 3 TRUE stereo channels one of them being a tube rotary channel? If not, than I rest my case as to why I chose the MS. Compact, complete and more than sufficient in the sound quality department. Unless you're in the studio and using your FBT's as an actual miced sound source, I see no reason for them over any of the others in a live setting where it's going through a PA anyway. Just my opinion though.

• Members

I see you play Rhodes and organ and use a tube and rotary effects, the M-S is great for that style, I can understand where you are coming from. Amps are voiced differently for Rhodes and organ and they can sound great through guitar tube amps where a digital piano will sound like crap through the same amp. Rhodes and organs don't need super high fidelity amp/speakers to sound good the way a stereo digital piano does. I'm playing in a very exposed Bill Evans style of piano jazz and the M-S did not have the transient response and detail I was seeking. My primary concern is the tone I get in my live near field monitors, I don't care so much about what the average listener is hearing. I thought I would be able to find some smooth and accurate German speakers but wound up discovering the EV Sxa360.

• Members

Yeah, that makes sense. I think that my amp does the job well enough for me even with stereo piano effects, but again I'm playing an EX7's grand piano so I can't expect phenominal piano sounds as one would with say a P series Yamaha. Glad you enjoy your speakers. How much were they BTW? What wattage etc?

Archived