help! I need a song that represents these synths nicely

kn364

• Members

I'm doing a research paper on the history of synthesizers for my music class and I also need to do a presentation on it. And, my presentation needs audio or visual aid to go with it...and Im gonna choose to go with audio clips.

So, I need a little help here. I need a song that prominently displays each of these synths.

Moog Modular (Im gonna use Switched on Bach).

Moog Minimoog

Prophet 5

Jupiter 8

DX-7 (probably choose any r&b or ebm song from the 80s)

Roland D-50 (maybe something that has the Digital Native Dance patch =p).

KORG M1

Nord Lead

Access Virus (probably just use a VNV Nation song)

Reason

I think those are a good representation of the history of the modern synthesizer. If anyone has anymore signigicant synths to add, feel free to add. I might add another digital synth there...like the PPG Wave.

I forgot to add...I have to present this thursday which is just a few days away, unfortunely.

• Members

wow. what a question. i guess im just going to use the *classic* examples i think of when i think these synths.

Moog Minimoog: parliment - flashlight

Prophet 5 : talking heads - burning down the house (or anything from stop making sense live show era)

Jupiter 8: michael jackson - thriller, denise williams - lets hear it for the boys.

DX-7: aha - take on me, whitney houston - any of those damned ballots from the 80s.

Nord Lead: crystal method - busified (or anything else from vegas), autechre - Cichlisuite (all nord)

i cant wait to hear the other responses in this thread.

• Members

autechre's Eutow (off Tri Repetae) is another great nord lead song. pretty much any autechre after the NL came out has the synth somewhere.

Supposedly radiohead's Everything In Its Right Place is a prophet 5. thats a nice sounding synth.

The new Prodigy cd (not sure if it's out yet) is saturated with Reason.

You should display the TB-303 for sure. Phuture's "acid tracks" is one of the first uses of it, but Fatboy Slim - Everybody needs a 303 would be the obvious choice.

• Members

Originally posted by Mintbeetle

autechre's Eutow (off Tri Repetae) is another great nord lead song. pretty much any autechre after the NL came out has the synth somewhere.

Supposedly radiohead's Everything In Its Right Place is a prophet 5. thats a nice sounding synth.

Actually, I believe that Eutow from Tri Repetae was made with a Juno 106. Anyway, there is almost no chance that Eutow was made with a Nord Lead since Tri Repetae was released in June of 1995 and the Nord Lead was released the same year (though I'm not sure of the date). Given how long it takes to get an album approved, master it, and produce the discs and vinyl for distribution, the album was probably finished by the end of 1994. Even if the album stretched into the early part of 1995, I still don't think the Nord Lead had been released at that point.

BTW, I think you're right that the synth on "Everything In It's Right Place" is a Prophet 5. I've heard some people say that it's a Rhodes, but I think that's BS. There'd have to be a lot of post processing done to make a Rhodes sound that way.

• Members

Okay..

So, so far, I have or have been suggested songs for these synths

Moog Modular

Minimoog

DX-7

Prophet 5

Nord Lead

Access Virus

Reason

TB-303

Jupiter 8

So...I need something that shows off the D-50 and M1 (I'll need more concrete examples for the J8 and P5). The Fairlight seems like something to cover, but I have only about 10 minutes for my presentation, so that is why I am just concentrating on some of the breakthrough synths that were released since the 70s.

I'm thinking since my classmates are layman in synthesizers...it wouldnt really matter saying "that the lead sound in this song was created by this synth" even though it wasnt.

Oh yea...and I have to present this thursday (which sucks...I shouldnt have chose that day, but I wanted to get it out of the way).

• Members

+1 on 8:30, what a great album!!

Prophet5: loads of early 80s Genesis songs, like 'man on the corner' which is completely Prophet5ed, and 'mama' which is a great showcase for electric drumsounds as well.

try early Peter Gabriel albums for the Fairlight CMI, he was one of the key users.

• Members

"I wont let you down" by PHD was a very good example of a song that used only prophet 5 I believe. Good song too...

"Save a prayer" Duran Duran I believe the flute is Jupiter 8, maybe even the arpeg

For Fairlight I guess you can't beat those Pet Shop Boys productions from 1986 although they also used Emu II so its hard to tell..

• Members

Originally posted by kn364

So...I need something that shows off the D-50

Check out the plucked strings on Enya's Orinoco Flow - I am pretty sure those were from the D50.

Also... Wasn't the lead line from "Let's Go" by the Cars a P5 sync lead?

Archived