Highway of Death - Through the Mouth of Madness

Neole

• Members

...And roughly 24 hours later, Neole's cranked out his first of the month...

That alone is impressive, but even moreso are your compositional skills.

This is an excellent piece of theme music, Neole! I suggest you go right out and get rich composing film scores.

But... Um, what is a EWQLSO Silver?

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

you reached that magic place where a listener doesnt hear samples, he hears a thunderous orchestra playing music...

really? no doubt it's a great composition, but all i thought when i heard it was "samples... oh god, the samples"

i'm not a classical music buff or anything, but it was very obvious to me. i can appreciate how close the technology is getting, but it doesn't, and probably never will sound like the real thing. especially the faster parts sounded machine-like, like stabs at the beginning.

since this is your first piece with the WQLSO, i'm sure your skills will improve. i would suggest you give a little more thought to note velocity & length, attack time, etc... make it sound more human.

don't get me wrong-- you have some great skills. this is definitely better than i could do even if i had the same equipment. BUT i can hear more quality in the samples that you could achieve with practice.

• Members

Analog Kid - thanks, Im extremely pleased to have managed to convey that effect!

Mintbeetle - You're right, the samples sound synthetic here specially during the staccato parts. But I was using QLSO Silver - Im sure when using VSL or QLSO Platinum which have a lot more articulations the 'machine gun' effect can be taken care of. Ive heard many songs using these libraries that sound pretty much like the real thing. But even Silver (or GPO) can do a much better job at authenticity than I have - I just played the instruments in and rendered to audio. With some mod wheel expressions and other channel envelopes played or drawn in, and some external effects, these sound pretty good.

• Members

Wow, you sure work fast, Neole!

The composition of this piece reminds me of Shostakivichs' Symphony Number 8, in that is has a strong rythmic profile and a somwhat bleak chaotic feel to it. I do agree that the sound of "samples" is present, but don't feel that is nescesasarily a hinderence to what you evoke here, I find the use of more the more modern sounding "synth" elements to be an interesting addition that really makes things like the machine like structure of the rythm "work".

Great job, I can't believe how quickly you were able to belt out an effective piece like this.

Bravo!

• Members

ok, well i read this thread, and i want to respond to mintbeetle

well, i was listening on computer monitors in a very uncritical way

(i.e. listening to the perfomance rather than the production)

but I'll stand behind my initial assesement that the sample material is very good, and emotes the real thing more than an artificial production.

If i heard it on a movie i probably wouldnt notice it wasnt real.

But, im no expert, and im sure with top notch sample libraries like VSO or whatever your poison is, and expert user techniques, you could maybe get even closer

or at that point is it simply going too far?

I read that you can get a real czech orchestra to record your piece for a few thousand dollars.

hmnnnn...maybe that's what i should save up for.

• Members

Originally posted by Neole

The two children escape through the frozen city using the maze of lifeless cars to avoid being captured.

My first piece on my newly acquired EWQLSO Silver!

the composition is pretty good....the sonic quality of samples themselves is very good but programing is pretty rough on this. should you have used the expression to control the notes it would've been very convencing....nice work.

• Members

Sinner6 - thanks! Its getting possible to work quickly because of libraries like GPO and Silver where the orchestral samples are all ready at hand. They also include the proper pan placement of instruments and reverb. You just play the instruments in without having to bother about much else.

Analog Kid - I too dont care if the flute in a piece doesnt sound real or goes beyond the pitch of the natural instrument or doesnt have breathing space for a real player, so long as it conveys the emotion intended to. But then I guess that works for us electronic musicians. For people who have worked with real orchestras for years suddenly converting to samples, they'll probably still want their flutes to sound like the real thing.

Purity_Control - Thanks!

audiopack - Thanks, and I agree with the progamming aspect. I'll probably start working on the expressions only after I have a few more orchestral type pieces done and am at ease with the different instruments.

• Members

Originally posted by Neole

Analog Kid - I too dont care if the flute in a piece doesnt sound real or goes beyond the pitch of the natural instrument or doesnt have breathing space for a real player, so long as it conveys the emotion intended to. But then I guess that works for us electronic musicians. For people who have worked with real orchestras for years suddenly converting to samples, they'll probably still want their flutes to sound like the real thing.

Ya, that's stuff I'll have to learn to, i guess, to progress into all areas of instrumentation.

• Members

Originally posted by audiopack

the composition is pretty good....the sonic quality of samples themselves is very good but programing is pretty rough on this. should you have used the expression to control the notes it would've been very convencing....nice work.

keep in mind this piece was done in about 24 hours:p

• Members

I took some advise from sample veterans and tried a few things - like changing the stacatto samples to 'up and down bow samples' for the fast parts and adding in some expressions. It does make a difference! But I'll leave the mix as it and try learning more about those techniques with newer compositions. First thing I'll have to resist doing is not quantise each played part - difficult thing to do for us electronic musicians..

Archived