got my MicroModular! ARP-ing away..mp3!

Roald

• Members

Got my Nord MicroModular friday! I'm very happy with it so far, haven't had much time to play with it because my parents were in Berlin for the weekend. I am surprised at how 'moogish' the bass patches can sound, and how extremely complex the sounds can get. Its a little overwhelming!

Anyway, I programmed Yoozers 'ARP AXXE' patch, that was why I wanted the synth in the first place! Really nice, defined and especially -WIDE- sound! I added another oscillator, thickening up the sound even more. Then it is a bit in between the moog fattness and ARP wideness.

made a little mp3, all live, Electro + MM:

http://home.student.utwente.nl/r.a.lingbeek/index2.htm/JointFunkture/moodyaxxe.mp3

I am now working on implementing the mod wheel for some vibrato, and cutoff under the aftertouch, so I can play a littlebit more dynamically. Maybe it'll be fun to link the A from the ADSR to velocity sensitivity, so it sounds 'flute-y' when played soft, and 'trumpet-y' when played harder. I need to get the most expressive patch (without using my left hand for the mod wheel or knobs, i still have to play the Rhodes with my other hand!)

so...the basic sound is really nice, and just what I intended...it is small, fits in between the Electro and SL880, nice knobs, good editor.....It is just a pain in the "

• Members

Cubase claims all the midi ports, and they don't get along in such fantastic ways. I don't know what version you have, but with the older ones there was a tool called MMEsetup that allowed you to switch ports off & on. Right now my Micromod's hooked up to the Midex for MIDI, and to my DSP-2000 for the editor. It sort of works - the editor hooks up from time to time. Ah well, I'm too lazy to figure out the proper way :).

http://synerjee.deadamerica.org/crap/RoaldAxxe.pch - for those who don't want to rebuild it :).

Oh yes, the on/off switch problem can be solved with a simple timer outlet. I got a digital one from the Gamma or something that also features a simple on-off switch. Very convenient.

http://www.alumni.ca/~rossf3f/timer1.jpg

^ analog version, couldn't find a digital one.

Good work on the example, it sounds fine! :)

• Members

Congratulations, Roald!

I received mine the day before my G2 and XL-7 arrived. I intend to use it primarily as an audio processor. Since I also have a Line 6 DL-4 looper/delay pedal and an Electro-Harmonix EH16 Reissue loop/delay pedal on preorder, any recommendations of gig bags or other carry options for pedals would be appreciated.

Are you on either Nord Modular list? Somebody just posted a couple of patches for use with breath controllers. He wrote them for use with the Yamaha WX5, but I bet they can be modified for use with a Yamaha BC-series controller. Have you considered getting a BC? That would be a way to add extra control for your sound while still leaving your left hand free. This is a route I want to investigate in the near future - ethnic winds such as ney, duduk, and shenai fascinate me.

-g

• Members

thanks Girevik, hope you enjoy yours just as much! The breath controller is a good idea, though I think I will stick to aftertouch and knobs. I really love the sound of the ARP ProSoloist, which is essentially a preset ARP Axxe, with an aftertouch sensitive keyboard (an invention by ARP?). I try to stay as close as possible to that concept because I love the solos that were played with those, and I like my setup to be as simple as possible (and concentrate on the playing!). I think many will think the lead sound is 'boring', but I need it to sound simple to play nice stuff!

for pedals THE option is a pedalboard. I don't have the cash for them but they are ideal: those boards are a 'case', and you can lift the top off to reveal the pedals. The pedals are fixed to the board, and the nice ones have good power supplies that will reduce humming and buzzing. You just lay down the thing, remove the top, plug in and you are go.:

http://www.furmansound.com/pro/pdlbrd/pdlbrd1.htm

• Members

I also got my Micromod just a couple weeks ago. This thing is so badass, that I convinced my band's guitarist to get one just for guitar sounds/fx. The envelope follower has excellent tracking...great for triggering just about anything.

As for me, I love the thing....I could use it forever and never run out of ideas for it...

Archived