Korg M1 synth

C. Martin

• Members

Hi,

I am thinking about looking for a Used korg M1 for a top keyboard application. But I need to find out more about it. Do any of you guys have experience with an M1? If so, can you give me some info about it. I havent found much on the internet. Thanks.

p120dUdE

• Members

You might as want to consider a T3 instead, since it's basically an M1 with a nicer screen/interface, same sounds, same patches, same keybed.

Good marketing and stage presence is the main reason the M1 lasted as long as it did, as well as its artificially high used market pricing.

Of course, if Korg made a softsynth version of the M1/T-series, that might as well kill the used market for one.

• Members

Originally posted by p120dUdE

Hi,

I am thinking about looking for a Used korg M1 for a top keyboard application. But I need to find out more about it. Do any of you guys have experience with an M1? If so, can you give me some info about it. I havent found much on the internet. Thanks.

p120dUdE

I have the M1r. What do you want to know?

• Members

Hi P120dUdE -- Good choice, and as sevensinner says, you should go for the T3 (I still use my T) -- The T has it's own programs, but can accept other programs (i.e., M1, third party, etc.) either via floppy or the pcm slots -- Better screen, same 8 track sequencer -- Peace --

• Members

Pretty much all of Korg's flagship synths until the trinity were updated M1's. The T series, the 0x/W series, the X series, and the N series.

Some say the newer ones aren't as good soundwise as the older ones, but I don't think so. I've used an M1, X5d and an 01/w and owned an N364, and the M1 is really lacking in features. People say it's a bit warmer and fuller sounding (though I think all korgs are pretty warm, sometimes borderline muddy).

I think all this use of Korg products is why I get no respect around here. :p

• Members

I had M1 in early 90's ,later made it ex for 100$ more.

these are the facts about m1.

the best selling KB of all time(more than 200,000 units)(outsold dx7)

4 mb rom

16 poly(if you use dual progs-you get 8 poly)

7000 note,8 track sequencer(easy to use but eats up mem in seconds)

good usable dual efx(distortion to ping pong delays)

great keys(made by yamaha)

built like a tank and heavy(14.5 kg)

good pads,usable Sax,Eps, harp like piano,ok organs

thin joystick(like Ts)

100 combi( UP TO 8 progs) and 100 prog mem(all user rewritable)

not GM(1988)

4 outs,accepts Rom and ram cards

T3 is pumped up M1(more seq and rom mem,D drive,but same poly)

and t3 is harder to find than M1.

don't pay more than 350-400$ for it.

If you already have a 2nd KB with good piano I think it'll work.

what else do you want to know?

but for 500-600 $ you can get a used xp-50 too.lighter(9kg),sequencer with direct dsk play feature,expendable,etc..

• Members

Speaking from the persdpective of owning 3 M1's (two racks and 1 fullsize), you could get a nice M1 on ebay for around $300-400. Theres' like 6 of them listed right now.

I have no experience with the T-3, cause I went from the M1 to the Kurz K2500.

I'm willing to bet that the T-3 would definitly be a better all around choice since it offers the great M1 sound along with lots of extra percs that the M1 lacked.

Hope this helps!

Ol Smokey

• Members

The M1ex has all the multisounds of the T3 and is easier on the pocketbook. Simple sys-ex librarians take away the need for the disk drive. The O1/W series was a good step up but I'm one of those who are not so impressed with the X and N series - my opinion is that they sound cheaper/thinner.

In addition to ricklaww's good points I'd note the things you might miss are osc sync, filter resonance, portamento, and S&H. The things that might surprize you are the low registers of the strings & piano, how easy it is to setup 8 sounds in a Combi (for live or sequencing), how useful the effects are, and how good the drums sound when you cut off the sampled effects by setting the decay to be very short (I often use my M1rex w/ Drums 1 PCM card).

Good luck.

• Members

Originally posted by garysome1

The O1/W series was a good step up but I'm one of those who are not so impressed with the X and N series - my opinion is that they sound cheaper/thinner.

O1 w had wave shaping(can act like resonant filters) which X and N series are lacking(they also lack multi band filters).

• Members

It's really good for new-age, fusion stuff,the piano (and the rest of the acoustic sound) sux, 16 poly is also a disaster. So don't expect too much. Get a keyboard with floppy disc. Great pads and very warm sound. It's not very expensive, If money is no problem, get a Trinity(if you own a yamaha p 120,this is a good combination).

• Members

Originally posted by ricklaww

O1 w had wave shaping(can act like resonant filters) which X and N series are lacking(they also lack multi band filters).

yeah I was disappointed when I got my N364 that they'd removed the waveshaping, it was one of my favorite features of the 01/w. Used on simple waveforms you could get some DX7 type sounds out of it. Instead you got a useless arpeggiator.

:mad:

• Members

I second the opinions on the T3 being a good alternative to the M1. The large screen on the T3 is of great use when you're editing or creating sounds. The T3 (and M1EX) also has some very useful waveforms in addition to the M1 sound set, many of them being especially suited for lush pads or even - dare I say it :) - some not-too-awful analog emulation. Naturally, many of the acoustic sounds are dated (though some of the organs are very nice by most standards, and the soft strings are lovely), but these synths definatelty have lots of character and potential when it comes to the more abstract sounds. They are also very sturdy and I think the keybed feel is superb.

For the money I think you could do worse than a T3, though I guess a Roland XP-30/XP-50 offer much more for not much more money...

Regards

Sam

Archived