red sound merges -i get the shaft:

• Members
Hi James,

Thanks for your support on RED Sound products - much appreciated!

The Vocoda kit for the original black model will not work in the XP2.

Last year we merged with a far-east company who we now work together with on many research and development projects. Therefore our time allocation is now dictated by the group's overall design plan and this expansion kit has been put on hold at present.

If we get any release news about XP2 kits we can contact you by email. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Cheers

RED Sound

------------------------------------------------------

• Members

in other words,

we don't support our product line anymore, and you were an ass for believing all the PR and our web site which said we were, and that the vocoda chip was "being developed" and "soon to reach the public",e tc..

i get the shaft.

the_resonator=not a red sound fan anymore.

• Members

Seems if I remember correctly, Te vocoda chip only works on the original Darkstar model, not the XP2 one.

I'm not sure of the reason, but the guy I work with as an original Darkstar and has the Vocoda chip for it. it works great.

I guess I should have warned you before you sold the original version of that... :(

That said, I'd still like to check out the Elevata at some time.

• Members

yeah, i knew the old chip wouldn't work, and i wanted the xp2 reagardless--as it was a good deal from a good guy.

I just read up before i closed the deal, and all these press releases etc..said that they would be coming out with a vocoda for the xp2 "soon" and most of them dated from the introduction of the xp2, so i thought that they would have it now or very soon available.

i didn't really get the shaft too badly (and not at all on buying the darkstar itself), but i think to say something's "on the shelf" indefinately is just another way of getting out of admitting you are not gonna put it out.

yeah, i may still get the levata too, the patch cable thing is pretty tempting.

But, i will no longer be the vocal supporter of their stuff that i was. This crappy communication cancels out my ealier good communication with them.

• Members

Res,

That sucks. I tried to get a user manual out of them a few months ago and didn't even receive a response. It seems that you got farther than I did. On it's own it's still a fun little box. I'm not sure of the quality of the vocoder for the original Darkstar. Since I sold my MicroKorg I was thinking or building a PAIA vocoder from a kit, but I have yet to hear a demo.

Hope everything with the gear works out.

• Members

SPAM:

I have the vocoda chip with faceplate and 1 page "manual". The prongs on the VA eprom were bent when I got it and I can't change back and forth without breaking one of the pins at this point. I don't want to buy a new VA eprom.

• Members

you should put it on h-c classfds or ebay, man..still worth something to plenty of people.

grant: i am totally happy with the darkstar, it's just the company's bull{censored} about coming out with the vocoda for xp2 and then telling me that they aren't gonna.

• Members

Originally posted by benskia

well, they probably had more to consider than just you when they made the decision.

Well sure, but that doesn't explain why they still make this claim:

"Conversion kit prices will remain at

• Members

Originally posted by benskia

well, they probably had more to consider than just you when they made the decision.

that has jack {censored} to do with what i am complaining about.

I don't give a {censored} if they all were drunk and wandered into a swarm of killer bees because they thought it was "interesting"...I don't care who or how or why or whatever.

What i was pissed about was their repreated (and continued) assertion that they were going to offer it..and then not offereing it.

I would not be pissed if they hadn't said they would offer the vocoda

I would not be pissed if they hadn't continued to say they would offer the vocoda to this day.

I would not be pissed if they issued a press release or just plain put a notice on the front page of their website, that they are no longer going to have the upgrade, etc..

but they didn't.

so i was.

Archived