midi value for pitch bend?

audiopack

• Members

(ctrl>v)

Status

0xE0 to 0xEF where the low nibble is the MIDI channel.

Data

Two data bytes follow the status. The two bytes should be combined together to form a 14-bit value. The first data byte's bits 0 to 6 are bits 0 to 6 of the 14-bit value. The second data byte's bits 0 to 6 are really bits 7 to 13 of the 14-bit value. In other words, assuming that a C program has the first byte in the variable First and the second data byte in the variable Second, here's how to combine them into a 14-bit value (actually 16-bit since most computer CPUs deal with 16-bit, not 14-bit, integers):

unsigned short CombineBytes(unsigned char First, unsigned char Second)

{

unsigned short _14bit;

_14bit = (unsigned short)Second;

_14bit

_14bit |= (unsigned short)First;

return(_14bit);

}

A combined value of 0x2000 is meant to indicate that the Pitch Wheel is centered (ie, the sounding notes aren't being transposed up or down). Higher values transpose pitch up, and lower values transpose pitch down.

Errata

The Pitch Wheel range is usually adjustable by the musician on each MIDI device. For example, although 0x2000 is always center position, on one MIDI device, a 0x3000 could transpose the pitch up a whole step, whereas on another device that may result in only a half step up. The GM spec recommends that MIDI devices default to using the entire range of possible Pitch Wheel message values (ie, 0x0000 to 0x3FFF) as +/- 2 half steps transposition (ie, 4 half-steps total range). The Pitch Wheel Range (or Sensitivity) is adjusted via an RPN controller message.

• Members

thanks cheptronics,

what you are refering to is about the programing details how the message is sent in the lower level. what i'm looking for is the simple value such as mod wheel is attached to value 1, chorus is 93, sustain is 66 etc, etc....i want to know the same thing for the pitch wheel so that i can draw the pitch wheel automation inside the sequencer(which is fruity loops)

hello puta,

that's the exact thing i want to do, but i cant do it unless i figure out what is the value for pitch wheel which i will need to give to a knob in the midi out plugin in fruity and then automate that knob to control pitch...

thanks

• Members

Originally posted by oddbods finger

Pitch Bend doesn't have a CC value.

On most sequencers it is just shown as an individual parameter/value [PB] on it's own.

thanks a lot oddbods...i'll have to look if there's way to control pitch bend in fruity loops.

Archived