Fill THIS hole in the synth market!!

• Members

Now I'm no consumer market analyst, but THIS is what I think would enjoy great demand right now:

A no frills SUPER-SOUND keyboard! The specs:

7 octave semi-weighted, great quality keybed (like Motif ES or Virus KC)

200 MB sound ROM - IOW the best sounds from the ES range, the Triton Range and the XV range and from the best software as well (Atmosphere, Absynth)

16 part multitimbral

128 Polyphony(minimum)

FX GALORE - three insert FX per part SIMULTANEOUSLY

Inputs/Outputs - 8 analog outs, 2analog ins (for FX processing), USB, Firewire, MIDI I/O/THRU, digital ADAT or SPDIF

THAT'S IT! Scratch the sampling, even more, scratch the internal sequencer. Put ALL effort into the quality of the sounds and the quality of the effects. Keep the UI very, very simple. Nothing fancy, just out and out fab sounds!

The reason for this "semi-rant" is that though the ES does have super sounds, the fact that in Multi-timbral operation, you can't use any of the fancier effects like distortion, wah wah etc.. is a bit of a disappointment. When it says 8 insert FX, it doesn't say "8 insert FX, which are either in the reverb or chorus category"! I mean, what about having at least 10 different delay-options? No!! Yes, I could've gotten a Motif rack, but that one doesn't come with a keyboard. Then there's the S90, but that one is 88-note hammer action, it's too big and I like the feel of semi-weighted "synthy" keys. I don't need all the add ons of an arranger keyboard like a Yamaha Pro-9000.

I just want a keyboard packed full of sounds, and full of multi-routable, simultaenous FX, and NOTHING ELSE? Is that too much to ask?

Peace

• Members

Originally posted by fleizenkruz

i'm too afraid to think about the price
:eek:

Well, the new Motif ES7 is something like 2500 euro. If you take away the sequencer and sampler production costs, and replace them with kick ass FX prosessors, I can't see the price going above 1500 - 2000. There's no way it should cost MORE than these super-duper, all-in-one systems.

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

I don't know. I'd be quite satisfied with a V-Synth/Nord Modular G2(X) combo. Those two could cover it all.

How are the Grand Piano sounds on the V-Synth? How'bout the G2 Nord crankin' out a lovely acoustic guitar? :D

I got weirdness covered, and I got emulation covered quite well, but I simply want more flexibility for the FX -depth and use! Plugins? Yup. Hardware FX? Yes. All good, BUT I would really really like a keyboard with unparalelled FX implementation. The Supernova II keyboard was great, in terms of the simultaenous aspect. We need that aspect on the Motif ES, and we don't need no samplers a' sequencers a' {censored}....

• Members

Originally posted by swandiver

The Motif ES's 8 dual-insert effects can only be in the reverb/chorus category???!?!

In multi-part song or pattern mode, YES. In voice mode, NO!

Voice mode doesn't help when you want to create a 16 track MIDI-mix with your computer using the MOES's sounds.

• Members

The reason for this "semi-rant" is that though the ES does have super sounds, the fact that in Multi-timbral operation, you can't use any of the fancier effects like distortion, wah wah etc.. is a bit of a disappointment. When it says 8 insert FX, it doesn't say "8 insert FX, which are either in the reverb or chorus category"!

This is incorrect!!!! The Motif ES has 8 dual inserts available for the ANY 8 out of 16 sequence parts. This means that these 8 parts can sound identical to the way they do in voice mode (including leslies, distortions, phasers....EVERYTHING). All of the voices do share the same reverb and chorus (system effects), but they each of their own INDEPENDENT effects sends to these effects.

• Members

Originally posted by Mike Martin

This is incorrect!!!!
The Motif ES has 8 dual inserts available for the ANY 8 out of 16 sequence parts. This means that these 8 parts can sound identical to the way they do in voice mode (including leslies, distortions, phasers....EVERYTHING). All of the voices do share the same reverb and chorus (system effects), but they each of their own INDEPENDENT effects sends to these effects.

Well, I'm looking at the Motif ES Multi-part editor as we speak. I hit the "insert fx" tab on the mixer, and I get a pop-up list with all the insert FX. I must be blind, but I can't find ANY fx labelled: distortion, overdrive, wah, delay.......where are they buried, then?

• Members

You're not blind, you're just looking in the wrong place. The way the Motif ES works, you simply have insert ON/OFF switches that can be ON for 8 of your 16 parts. Take a look again at the Multipart editor. Notice the buttons labeled INS EFF above the reverb and chorus send levels?

The CHOICE of effects comes from the VOICE itself. So if a guitar had a distortion and wah-wah effect in it in Voice mode, it AUTOMATICALLY uses those effects if the INSERT switch is ON in Mix mode. If you want to change those two inserts you can do that by editing the voice from within MIX mode. Then you can store this edited sound as a "Mix Voice" without replacing any of the internal voices.

The list of effects that you have been looking at is the list of system effects (chorus and reverb primarily). Each part has an independent send level for these.

To see the list of insert effects available, you should be looking at the VOICE editor, not the Multi-part editor.

• Members

Originally posted by Mintbeetle

a lot of that is extremely skillfull use of velocity, pitchbend, and other modulation... but that still has to be the one of the best synthesized guitars I've heard, let alone a nylon acoustic.

I agree about the sound quality, though in this case the G2 does have physical modeling capability and this patch is an example of that.

I have heard demos of the earlier Modular that were almost as impressive (cello, guitar, and a wind instrument or two) and that was largely done by somebody applying the principles of physical modeling to modular (virtual) analog synth modules, as opposed to using actual physical modeling synth module(s).

-g

• Members

Originally posted by Mintbeetle

a lot of that is extremely skillfull use of velocity, pitchbend, and other modulation... but that still has to be the one of the best synthesized guitars I've heard, let alone a nylon acoustic.

If my Motif ES6 was put through those same paces, it would poop on the above. :) But I can appreciate what you made. Nice!

• Members

Originally posted by DeepSleeper

If my Motif ES6 was put through those same paces, it would poop on the above.
:)
But I can appreciate what you made. Nice!

I guess you're referring to the demo I posted?:confused:

If so, I didn't make it...it's on Clavia's site on the G2 page.

And I hate to disagree but nothing I've heard from the Motif ES comes close to that.

Don't get me wrong, the Motif probably has some of the best sounds of any rompler, but this is probably the only convincing guitar I've ever heard come from a synth. I played a trick on my guitarist bandmate and asked him to guess what kind of guitar it was. It didn't even occur to him that it was a synth lol...

oh well, maybe I misunderstood you...

• Members

Moikka, Deepsleeper!

I think closest to your wishes is Korg Triton Extreme EX88 ($2900), even it is still 160 MB ROM and 120 polyphonic, it has 102 effects and can use multiple simultanously.

Other option would be to use the MIDI setup, with 88-key MIDI-keyboard, Korg Triton Rack ($1500), Roland Fantom XR/XV-5080 ($1350), Yamaha Motif Rack ($1000) and additional FX processor or mixer. Costs a fortune, but now you have all the best sounds and 316 (60+128+128) polyphony.

• Members

Originally posted by DeepSleeper

How are the Grand Piano sounds on the V-Synth? How'bout the G2 Nord crankin' out a lovely acoustic guitar?
:D

You can load a Grand Piano Sound into the V-Synth and the G2 Nord can model the guitar! :D

I'm surprised you didn't think about this yourself. If I didn't see that you were from Finland, I'd think that you were American.

• Members

Originally posted by MuzikB

I'd think that you were American.

In America, we bomb people who don't like our methods of foreign relations. Then when we fail to re-develop the countries we destroy because we were too busy trying to coax them into slavery to us and allowing our unconditional occupation, those who survived our earlier bombings are ten times more upset with our foreign relations. So we bomb them again and declare them "Evil Doers". It's a process of elimination really. We eliminate everyone in our way.

I don't see why people in other nations find us unreasonable.

Archived