The best filter?

distorted

• Members

I recently killed my Electrix Filter Queen and I'm looking to replace it with something a little nicer.

What do you think is the best sounding filter (not necesarilly the most feature laden, however) out there for under 600 bucks?

Obvious considerations have been the Sherman, Moogerfooger LP, Lovetone Meatball.

Any opinions would be appreciated!

• Members

thanks for the responses.

I see...Sherman seems to be the big favorite. That's kinda what I expected.

I meant to list this before, but I do a lot of live shows where I need a solid filter for various things. Drum machines, synth sounds, warming up computer sounds mainly. Not for guitar or any one specific purpose. I'm thinking sherman, though I have one friend (the only one who's OWNED a Lovetone) say that the Meatball is the king (of the under 600 pack.)

any more ideas welcomed!

• Members

I've worked with a meatball a lot, seeing as I own one.

1. They are kickass. Great filter sounds, with resonance sounds sooooooooooo good.

2. Not good live. The knobs seem to have such a wide range, that you have to get the knobs just right or the sound will change drastically. This wouldn't be such a big deal if it has sturdier knobs, but the knobs are actually very very loose. They WILL move on you whether you like it or not.

So I say no to meatball being the king. Esp. considering the price. You can get so much better for cheaper. And honestly the same goes for the Moogerfooger (which btw I don't think can be triggered IIRC)

• Members

There's no such thing as the "best" filter. Each has its own character. Find the one that does what you want and go with it. The Sherman makes a great distortion unit, and of course it's also a filter, but the Filterfactory (for example) has it beat for clean, straight-forward sweeps. I have these and a MAM Warp9 and I can say that none of these three overlap in terms of functionality or sound.

• Members

MF is nice minimoog filter, meaning it's all over the place. i'd go for something different and fresh like;

MS-20 HP/LP filter "Clone"; general concensus among users and reviewers is that altough very similar, AS Filtered Coffee lacks the bottom end of the original. FROSTWAVE Resonator has that bottom. All param. have CV control -> real-time tweak via CV pedals, automation via MIDI/CV converter. $200-250 (not sure)

if u want agressive sound/lot of options/distortions; SHERMAN definitely.

Mutronics MUTATOR - IMHO the best filter that i've ever heard (live and on records of Massive Attack, Radiohead and Leftfield). Out of the price range new, but i saw somebody sell it used for $650 just a month ago. the best, the "creamiest", it really can turn a {censored}ty, no-balls sound into pure heaven. 2 filters, 2lfo's,2 env

mut.gif

Vermona demos of DAF-1 sound really nice and warm too. affordable. stereo HP and LP filter plus LFO and ENV. $200+

And a new 2U rack Electro Harmonix Bi-Filter is coming out soon. No data yet. But it does look interesting considering their tradition in analog effects.

e_Bifilter.jpg

IMHO i'd rather have a Frostwave AND a Vermona, than just a Sherman. More versatile. Frostwave can be very agressive/ripping as well - MS20 filter sound is all over techno, chill, house and other similar styles.

Archived