Hum from unbalanced cables ?

• Members

I have a sixteen channel mixer that is getting hum in some of the channels. So it is hard to record an audio track. The inputs on the mixer are balanced but I was using unbalanced cables.

Not all the channels have the hum. I tried changing the cables to a different channel and still the same problem. Do I have to buy new balanced cables to solve this problem, or can I use my unbalanced cables? Also some of my sound modules do not indicate if the outputs are balanced or unbalanced.

What can I do to get a hum free output from the mixer so I can record a clean audio track?

Thanks

• Members

Unless you've got some really long cable runs, balanced cables probably aren't going to make that much difference in your studio. Most equipment with balanced I/O also works fine with unbalanced cables. If you're getting that much hum, you more than likely either have a ground problem with the devices on the channels where you hear hum, or you're running audio cables next to AC cables or power supplies. Try to keep power cables away from your audio cables. Cross them at 90 degrees if they absolutely have to be near eachother. Check for ground problems and bad cables.

Archived