my hotmail is sending out virii to NI!

Boom

• Members

I keep getting these emails from native instruments that say I'm emailing them viruses. What's up with that? This is my junk hotmail account. My PC itself and my real email account seem to be clean. Sometimes I get an email to my hotmail account that is a blatant attempt to send my a virus that has some audio related subjuct like "korg ms200" with an attatchment. Damn M$ email. :mad: Any computer/IT gurus know what causes this?

• Members

One (rather certain) possibility is that someone who has your email address is spreading viruses. Several of these fake the sender addresses by using random addresses from the victims address book.

For example - the virus scans the (MS Outlook) mailbox on the victims computer, takes a random subject line, chooses a random recipient (to) and a random address as fake sender (from), sends the message and the recipient gets the message which looks reasonable. Quite a few people tend to open such ok looking messages coming from known people, and the virus is delivered again.... and again...

/o

• Members

If you know what "raw" or "headers" are, you can inspect the bounces to see where the email originated.

Chances are that NI is just using an email proxy that scans and bounces suspect emails. Since your email address is listed as the "from/Reply To", you get the Virus response. Don't sweat it, just delete.

Unless you're geeky and feel like solving the hostname/IP mystery revealed in the previously mentioned raw data / headers.

Archived