My CS2x sends constant MIDI!

• Members

I'm still using my old faithful Yamaha CS2x as the master keyboard in my studio setup but it has this strange behavior! It keeps sending MIDI signals so the led on the port it's connected to on my MIDISport keeps pulsating (around 3-5 pulses every second) even when not touching the synth. It's been like this as long as i can remember. If i setup a track in my sequencer and try to record what it's sending there's nothing at all! No controllers or anything! I've resetted it to factory defaults but it's still sending these weird signals.

Anyone else experience this with their CS2x?

• Members

The midisport LED indicates that it is powered, not that it's recieveing midi. The light's supposed to blink, something with the USB power source. I had 2 midisport 2x2s and they both blinked.

• Members

Nope. I'm sure you checked but is there anything else in your chain that could be doing it? If you dont figure it out you can contact yammy support they are really good at helping out. As a test you might try hooking it up to a different port on the midisport and double checking the host select switch on the back of the cx.

• Members

Thanks for the answers!

Maybe 'pulsating' was the wrong word to use. It's more like flashing! I know that the MIDISport has a slowly pulsating power led, but that's not the one, it's the in-indicator from the CS2x. I'm sure it's the synth who sends these signals as i used an old Gravis interface before and it also kept blinking on the MIDI receive led.

It's nothing chained in between the CS2 and the MIDISport, just a plain MIDI cable. I'm not using to-host at all. I haven't checked that switch you are refering to (i'm at work right now) but wouldn't the normal MIDI connection become disabled if it was put to host mode?

• Members

I'm betting Active Sensing. The MIDI spec allows for synths to send a status byte every so often called "active sensing" that tells the device connected to it that there is, indeed, something connected to it.

For example, all my Korg synths send active sensing bytes. I don't know of any pieces that use the active sensing bytes when they receive it though it is conveniently telling you that your MIDI cable is working via the LEDs on the interfaces. I guess devices could display that they know something is connected to their MIDI IN port.

Hope it helps.

• Members

Garysome1, you were right! It is the Active Sensing that the CS2 is sending. I used MIDI Ox to find out.

A very easy to read explanation of Active Sensing can be found here:

http://www.planetoftunes.com/sequence/activesense.html

The Active Sensing is to no use in my system and i only find it annoying to have the input 1 flashing straight into my eyes like crazy!

I checked the manual for Active Sensing and found this:

STATUS 11111110 (FEH)

Transmitted at every 175 msec.

Once this code is received, the CS1x starts sensing. When no status nor data is received for over approximately 320 ms, MIDI receiving buffer will be cleared, and the sounds currently played and the sustain switch are forcibly turned off. In this case, each control data will be reset to a certain value

As you can see it says CS1x in my CS2x manual but this is probably because they've used parts of the CS1x manual as they are quite alike. Anyway, this gives me the impression that it can be turned on but not off?? I tried to send FE as SYSx but, however, this is used to turn Active Sensing on but i don't know what else to try! My friends CS1x sends no Active Sensing data so i think it's possible for me to turn it off somehow.

Help is appreciated!! Thanks!

• Members

You can use MIDI-OX to filter out unwanted transmissions, assuming both the devices in question are connected to your computer. If not, you may just have to live with it. Glad to hear you dont have anything going seriously wrong, though.

Cheers,

S6

• Members

Yes, i noticed i could filter it out but i'd rather disable it straight from the synth to give my poor MIDI interface a break =)

I don't feel that i HAVE to disable it but i find it a little annoying. And i guess there got to be a way of disabling it as there's a way of enabling it!

Yep! Nice to know nothings actually wrong with the synth =)

Anyone with a CS2x that can confirm their synth is or isn't sending Active Sensing? If it is, you should see constant traffic directly on your MIDI input.

Thanks!

• Members

I don't know how to disable it on a CS2X (and I can't disable it on my Korgs).

However, looking for the silver lining... I have a vague memory of testing this with a Korg M1 a decade ago and I *think* I remember the M1 only sends out the active sensing bytes if it didn't send out any other information in the last ~250ms. In other words, if you pressed a key and released it such that you were sending messages

So, I think the glass is 1/2 full, the LED blinking tells you everything is allright yet it won't affect the performance of your system.

-Gary "Active Sensing" Some1 :)

• Members

Yep! I read that it doesn't interfere with the MIDI data aswell. I think it's a little wierd it can't be disabled as i see no use for active sensing if connected directly to a computer.

Oh well... I'll just let it flash :) Thanks u all!

Archived