Cool pic of Edgar Froese Tangerine Dream

• Members

If you wanted to know what TD were using circa 1979-80..

043.jpg

Edgars Stuntman LP from 1979 is among my favs (first heard it back in 1985/6 and was knocked out by Daliesque Sleep Fuse and esp Drunken Mozart in the Desert!) and its no surprise to see the Solina and the rhodes there!

Also check out Edgars site at

http://www.edgarfroese.com/htm/enter.htm

Pretty cool also check his pics and bio...

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

If you wanted to know what TD were using circa 1979-80..

043.jpg

Edgars Stuntman LP from 1979 is among my favs (first heard it back in 1985/6 and was knocked out by Daliesque Sleep Fuse and esp Drunken Mozart in the Desert!) and its no surprise to see the Solina and the rhodes there!

Also check out Edgars site at

http://www.edgarfroese.com/htm/enter.htm

Pretty cool also check his pics and bio...

Wow, that is too cool, Orange! Thanks!

I haven't heard the stuntman album, but I just recently acquired the 2 disc "Beyond the Storm" set that I like a lot.

I'll have to get that other one.

• Members

Originally posted by Qwave

Hi,

this picture does not show TDs equipment. Its a picture of Edgars home studio in 1979.

Anyway, I love this picture too.

It is TDs equipment, they used the same stuff on their LPs thats the point!

• Members

Originally posted by Yoozer

I thought most Rhodeses had a rounded Tolex top... how are 3 synths stacked onto eachother standing still, then?

You can do this, the tolex rests on some curved bars underneath, I've had my solina and SH09 on my rhodes in the past and its worked out fine...

• Members

Originally posted by sinew1958

Now these days all the instruments are in my computer now:D

So twenty five years from now, somebody will dig out an old picture of you posing in front of a computer monitor, with a mouse in your hand. And everybody will go, ooh, look at all those lovely plug ins! :rolleyes:

-Ron.

• Members

Originally posted by rpieket

So twenty five years from now, somebody will dig out an old picture of you posing in front of a computer monitor, with a mouse in your hand. And everybody will go, ooh, look at all those lovely plug ins!
:rolleyes:

-Ron.

in the year 2030 all the plug-ins are in a chip pleaced in our head making music with our mouth:rolleyes:

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

Check the PPG in the next pic!! That must be the original PPG Wave 1!!!
:eek:

No !

He is playing the first digital storage and parameter excess monophonic synth: the PPG Sonic Carrier 1003 .

In the back (from top tp bottom):

PPG Digital Sequencer 350

PPG 360

Mellotron twin manual.

The precessor of the PPG wave 2 (not to be confussed with the wave 2.2) was the PPG wave 360. There was no PPG ever called "PPG wave 1".

The grand piano in the background of the first picture you just posted is the private Steinway of Edgar.

This is not Tangerine Dream's equipment. Its Edgar's. Or did you see Christopher Franke's Sequencer rigs?

This room was shown on german TV in a 4 part documentation named "Von der Spieluhr zum Musikcomputer" (translates to something like: "from mechanic clockworks to music computers". I don't know the english for "Spieluhr", because I am not a native english speaker.)

• Members

Well, I think you are just splitting hairs really... but remember I'm only trying to make some nice posts and spread info in a friendly manner .. and I'm glad to see others like it. Its a weird time on this forum, lots of negativity, anal retentiveness, mental illness... general unfriendliness.. I think this will be among my last posts here for a few months....

I don't remember saying anything about Chris Franke, I just said this is the gear TD were using back in 1979/80.. I didn't say it was ALL the gear :rolleyes:

From what I know (and I've been a TD fan since the early 80s and read lots of magazine interviews as well as the usual internet stuff) Tangerine dream would compose at home in their own respective studios then bring it all together at Christophs studio.. hence the difference in music style between the classic 70s material and the more structured stuff that came later

In fact Johannes Schmoelling has just got together with Edgar about some old pieces he found that he had done back in 1984/5 at his home studio I believe and they plan to release it in the near future. Le Parc in particular was apparently a collection of pieces by individual members that were tweaked in the studio when they all got together.. you can ask on the taddream list about this if you like.

In the early days they would do all their stuff at the Virgin studios I believe, later it was all done at Christophs studio..

IMO, the gear is the same (i.e. its what Edgar used on TDs records), if you look on their gear lists on LPs they stick to a set of gear, Edgars list on the Cyclone LP maps almost exactly to that list of gear. I have seen Chris Frankes studio around the same time too ( there was a feature in a UK mag back in the mid 80s and it showed you some old pics of him with the Moog modular and Emulator 1 amongst others) and he had non of the gear that edgar had and vice versa, it makes perfect sense that when they were going to make an LP they would either combine tapes (Johannes mentioned this was their approach) or just bring all their gear together like any other band would. I mean how does anyone make a record.. they usually use their own gear, TD weren't the kind of band that makes music on equipment in the usual commercial studios..

• Members

Sorry Orangefunk,

but you wrote: "If you wanted to know what TD were using circa 1979-80." on top of the starting posting of this thread.

And I saw only Edgar's stuff in his home studio on the pics. Not Tangerine Dream's stuff. But of cause Edgar's stuff was about 50% of stuff used on Force Majeure.

Sorry, I was splitting hairs here. Anyway, there are some other pictures from that time (1979) and the very early 1980 east Berlin gig plus the Tangram recording in the "70-80" Virgin LP box inlay.

And the tour books are a great resort of pictures like that too. Some even showing exotic stuff like the german EEH CM 1 Sequencer custom build for Chrispoher Franke.

• Members

Originally posted by Qwave

Some even showing exotic stuff like the german EEH CM 1 Sequencer custom build for Chrispoher Franke.

Do you have any pictures of that?

"Five12 Jim" and I would really like to see that. is i the 10U thing with 4 knob rows and a bunch of buttons shows in the '70-'80 box set booklet?

thanks,

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

Do you have any pictures of that?

"Five12 Jim" and I would really like to see that. is i the 10U thing with 4 knob rows and a bunch of buttons shows in the '70-'80 box set booklet?

thanks,

Here is one picture:

eeh_cm4.jpg

• Members

Interesting stuff.

Here's a list of Tangerine Dream tour gear that I had on my hard drive.

(I don't know if it's right or not, and I can't remember which site it originally came from.):

Okay folks, I happened to come across an E&MM article from 1982 that

lists the equipment that TD had on tour with them: Enjoy!

Edgar:

PPG 1 Computer

PPG Wave 2 Synthesiser

ARP Pro-DGX Synthesiser

Korg Polyphonic Ensemble

Custom Sequencer (built by Helmut Grothe)

Ibanez UE-400 Multi-Effects

MXR Digital Delay

Boss Volume Pedal

Conn Strobo Tuner

Soundcraft Series 1s 20 into 4 mixer

PPG 5 octave Keyboard controller

Gibson guitar

Chris:

Minimoog Synthesiser

Elka Rhapsody

Prophet 5

Arp Oddessy

Moog Osc/RM/VCF?VCA

Projekt Elektronik VcEnv x2

PPG VCF HIgh/Low Band x2

Digital Sequencer and Trigger Selector with programmer

Synth Sound Bank fro above

Roland SPV/355

Moog 960 Sequential Controller

Proj Elek. Sequence COntroller

Moog VCF Random trigger and Reset System for 960

Moog 3 band Parametric

Moog 12 stage phaser

Tape interface

Moog 920 Programmer

Moog 16 Channel Vocoder

Klark Technik DN27 Graphic EQ

Philips 3207 Dual Trace Oscilloscope

Rhythm Robot Sequencer

Boss KM-60 6 into 2 mixer

Roland SRE-555 Chrous Echo

Klark Technik DN36 Time Processor

Johannes:

Oberheim OB-X

MXR Digital Delay

Korg Tuner

MiniMoog

Boss KM-60 6 into 2 mixer

Custome sequencer (like Edgar's)

• 7 years later...
  • Members

Not sure why I found this thread so darned late but it is very cool to me, as a guitar player and T. Dream fan, to see how many guitars Edgar was really using at the time, the small Fender amp, the white triple pickup Les Paul, roundback Ovation, Fender Telecaster, Hamer Sunburst (I've seen him playing that live in another picture), 12-string Ovation Breadwinner (!), acoustic classical and just barely I can see the headstock of his Roland GR-500 to the immediate right of the Breadwinner. And the early PPG equipment is to die for (I'm a Wave aficionado so to see the Sonic Carrier and what looks like a "PPG 360 Waveform Computer" (as it was described in the 1981 issue of Keyboard) is cool. OK I'll let this thread go quiet again but wow, what a collection. And I've read in interviews that he still has all of this stuff and it all still works.

Archived