Yamaha: Gradded hammer vs balanced hammer action?

Deki

• Members

Hi!

I have Yamaha P80 el. piano with Gradded hammer action keys and I want to buy Motif ES 8 which have Balanced action keys. Could you tell me what is the real difference between these two actions (for piano players)?

Thanks!

• Members

I would just go to the store and play it for myself. I tend to ignore the various claims made by manufacturers.

Case in point - some electric pianos are advertised with some sort of sympathetic resonance. They will claim they've added a fourth sample just for this feature. Great, right?

I just bought the Yamaha P250 - a great keyboard. If I were not told that this piano had a fourth level for resonance, I never would have learned of its existence. I practice daily on a GranTouch 1 which does not have that feature ... and I have never noticed its absence.

The point - forget what the features are and just play the piano. If you like the action, great, if not, try another brand or model.

• Members

Originally posted by Jazz+

The top octave of your P80 Graded Action, which is the lighest region of your action, is similar to the weight that is consistent across the entire Balanced Action.

passive/aggressive/passive/aggressive; no wait* Is it Rin tin tin, Petros or Mreddyson?

• Members

I love Yamaha P120/P250, but the ES8 can wear a lot more hats and for me is the better value. The ES8 sounds amazing. :) I don't think there's much of a difference in the piano or the ES8 actions. They're both excellent.

Another thing to keep in mind that the P250/120 sustain feel and operate like a piano sustain, and the ES8 responds like a synth sustain pedal, because that's what they are and there is a difference. You can't half pedal on the Motif ES series. For me, that doesn't matter, I play most of my piano parts legato with a minimum amount of sustain. If you're primarily a piano player, you will notice a slight difference. I would suggest you have the dealer plug a Yamaha sustain pedal into the ES8 when you demo it and see how you like it.

Mike T.

Archived