Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

The "Aaaaaah" sound in New Order's "Blue Monday": is that a Fairlight CMI?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Aaaaaah" sound in New Order's "Blue Monday": is that a Fairlight CMI?

I'm talking about the low pad after the sequenced snare but before the first verse. I have a hunch that it's a Fairlight, and would have to be a Series I or II because "Blue Monday" came out in '83.

I just want to be sure because I can't find that sound sample while searching for Fairlight stuff, and New Order also used a bunch of Sequential Circuits stuff.

So:

1. Is it a Fairlight?
    2. Fairlight or not, is there a sample of this anywhere?
    Originally posted by phaeton
    Linux cronyism is a bunch of farsical scare-tactic posturing by the Liberal Media to fund pinko homoerotic Leftist neo-commie agendas, take our rights and guns away and undermine American Values to drag everyone down to the same level of doom and gloom misery as inner-city crackwhore welfare moms.

The formants at least reveal to me that it's a "male choir" sample of sorts - not the usual saccharine Sararr-sound.

I don't know what libraries the Fairlights had .
    "Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
    Synthesizer Programming Megathread - add your tips & tricks or ask how to recreate sounds!

Comment

not the usual saccharine Sararr-sound.

Say what you want, that sound still gives me "goose bumps."

Comment

Originally posted by Synthoid

Say what you want, that sound still gives me "goose bumps."

Linux cronyism is a bunch of farsical scare-tactic posturing by the Liberal Media to fund pinko homoerotic Leftist neo-commie agendas, take our rights and guns away and undermine American Values to drag everyone down to the same level of doom and gloom misery as inner-city crackwhore welfare moms.

Comment

It's a Mellotron. My band is covering that song and I had to build up a custom patch for that since there is no Mellotron sample in my Fantom-X.

There's a website that has great Mellotron samples. Try searching for it on Google....

Comment

Originally posted by Yoozer
            The formants at least reveal to me that it's a "male choir" sample of sorts - not the usual saccharine Sararr-sound.

I don't know what libraries the Fairlights had .

So far, the closest Fairlight choir sound I can find is the one used on "Shout" by Tears For Fears, not the "druid-like" choir sound on Blue Monday.

I simply can't think of what other keyboard could do that sound in '83. Mass-production FM synthesis came out that year, and it's conceivable that this could be an FM-synth sound, but I doubt it-- it sounds too Fairlight-y.

Comment

Originally posted by midiguru
              It's a Mellotron. My band is covering that song and I had to build up a custom patch for that since there is no Mellotron sample in my Fantom-X.

There's a website that has great Mellotron samples. Try searching for it on Google....

Whoa, what a surprise.

The last thing I would have expected would have been a Mellotron. New Order was so MIDI'd out by the mid-'80s that it didn't even occur to me that they'd use a Mellotron.

THANKS!

I think Hollow Sun might have a sample.

Comment

Found it.

Comment

Originally posted by Synthoid Say what you want, that sound still gives me "goose bumps."

Sorry, I didn't mean that the sound being "saccharine" was a bad thing .

I'm glad that it's in my E-mu Vintage Keys. I'd -LOVE- to see a simple VST with a perfectly resynthesized version with no loop points whatsoever, and some variations (my XP-30 has a patch called "Arabian Morn" which has a sound almost identical to it - my W5 has a patch called "Itopia" which hums like that, too.

Too bad I can't extract the samples from the ROM.

As far as the Mellotron stuff goes - that was my first guess.. then I thought, "naah... any electronic gear whore would think that the Mellotron would be too dated." .
                  "Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.
                  Synthesizer Programming Megathread - add your tips & tricks or ask how to recreate sounds!

Comment

Mellotron would also be my guess. Never seen or heard anything mentioned about this band having used the fairlight series, they did use the early emulators though.

Samplers with synth features are a joy. The most simple of vocal snips can be looped to give fantastic, often haunting choir like sounds. I have often wondered what it would be like to make an whole albums worth of material just using vocal samples manipulated and twisted with samplers.

The kawai K1 synth can do a full range of hard edged choir sounds. There is also a low priced softsynth available that supposedly emulates the Mellotron. The roland u110 and u220 modules, also u20 keyboard do fine choirs for little cash, the u110 can do a haunting and dreamy choir sound, can sound beautiful yet powerful if mixed carefully.
                    The car in front going sideways is my Toyota Supra.

A6, Access C, Q+, Jupiter 8, Arp2600.

Comment

pretty sure it is the male gregorian choir on the emulator
                      Last edited by Gus Lozada : Today at 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mookus
                        pretty sure it is the male gregorian choir on the emulator

Correct!

I have a video of New Order live in 1983/4 and its an Emulator 1 played by Stephen (the Joy Division drummer?) playing that part.. the brass chord stab is a prophet 5... they mess up the song a little... but its mostly live

Comment

you beat me to it. emulator I . fairlight has way different (distinctive) sound.

I have a video of New Order live in 1983/4 and its an Emulator 1 played by Stephen (the Joy Division drummer?) playing that part.. the brass chord stab is a prophet 5...

that figures - most of analog sounds on studio recording were done on Prophet 5.
                          www.babic.com - music for film/tv/theatre, audiopost

NIMBUS DEI @ myspace.com

oberheim obxa & obx & 2 x sem - jupiter8 - prophet5 rev2 - andromeda - minimoog - elektor formant modular - jd990 - mks70 - sh2 - tb303 - solina - rhodes - microwave - mw XT - etc

Comment

Originally posted by clusterchord
                            you beat me to it. emulator I . fairlight has way different (distinctive) sound.

It would be almost impossible to know or tell, unless you are talking about a well known and often used sample preset? Even then you would need to have amazing skills to identify the samples with the correct sampler used, someone may just be using a fairlight sample in any old akai or yamaha tx16w, obviously not for this song though

True, the early emulators have a very lofi sound, but it would be wrong to suggest the fairlight has a sound all of its own or anywhere distinctive enough to be that recognisable. The cmi sample library is distinctive, but not the sampler itself, certainly not distinctive enough to be picked out within a song and feel certain you know it is a fairlight making the noise.
                            The car in front going sideways is my Toyota Supra.

A6, Access C, Q+, Jupiter 8, Arp2600.

Comment

Originally posted by clusterchord

that figures - most of analog sounds on studio recording were done on Prophet 5.

FWIW a Moog Source was used for the bass line and ARP Solina and Logan String Machine for chords. Oberheim DMX for those drums!.
                              Last edited by Gus Lozada : Today at 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X