Roland Juno 60 Battery Replacement

Kurt

• Members

I am having a problem with my Juno 60. It seems that it has lost

all the memory and the patches are messed up...most sound like wind or not much at all. I was told this might be a problem with

the battery...

Here's my questions:

1. How Do I access the Battery? There's a lot of screws on the bottom of this thing...

2. Where to get a new battery?

3. I've downloaded a few files off the web that claim to be the original sounds...can I use these to reprogram the memory?

Can I use the computer as though its a tape player to do this?

4. Should I get Kid Nepro Sounds on tape?

Thanks in advance for any pointers on how to do this!

-Kurt

• Members

Originally posted by Kurt

I am having a problem with my Juno 60. It seems that it has lost

all the memory and the patches are messed up...most sound like wind or not much at all. I was told this might be a problem with

the battery...

Here's my questions:

1. How Do I access the Battery? There's a lot of screws on the bottom of this thing...

2. Where to get a new battery?

3. I've downloaded a few files off the web that claim to be the original sounds...can I use these to reprogram the memory?

Can I use the computer as though its a tape player to do this?

4. Should I get Kid Nepro Sounds on tape?

Thanks in advance for any pointers on how to do this!

-Kurt

Every patch sounds like wind or not sound? A sure sign your battery died.

There are two copper colored long phillips head screws, one on each side panel. Remove only those. The front panel will flip up. You'll see the battery onone of the circuit boards. It should look like one of those large hearing aid batteries. Might be soldered in place tho.

The battery is a CR-1/3N 3volt Lithium battery. I think this is standard fare that you could get at a Radio Shack.

After you reload the sounds (from whever) record the data again as a digital audio file on your DAW or whatever. And do this anytime you want to back up your patches. Record as digital audio.

Hope that helps m8!

• Members

If the polarity of the battery is backwards then yer programs would be wiped when you powered down. If your programs are still there then thats not the problem.

Maybe the battery is old, even tho its new.

(rereads that, decides its correct)

Third thing to suggest is back up your sounds, power down, then remove the battery. Leave the Juno to sit around brainless like that overnight. Then replace the battery and see if that doesn't fix the error message.

If you still get the error then replace the replacement battery.

And if that doesn't work..................

• Members

Thanks for the info Redlight!

I got the case open and it looks like the battery is soldered in.

Is this a difficult thing to remove without damaging traces or something? It looks like there are two leaf spring like pieces on the ends of the battery that are soldered to it...What's the best way to get the battery out and the new one in? Can I just hit the ends of the battery with a soldering iron where it seems there are two little pin prick size points? Any pointers or precautions, or is this something I should get someone to do? I'm an okay solderer, but not a pro...

Check out the pic...

• Members

Originally posted by Kurt

Thanks for the info Redlight!

I got the case open and it looks like the battery is soldered in.

Is this a difficult thing to remove without damaging traces or something? It looks like there are two leaf spring like pieces on the ends of the battery that are soldered to it...What's the best way to get the battery out and the new one in? Can I just hit the ends of the battery with a soldering iron where it seems there are two little pin prick size points? Any pointers or precautions, or is this something I should get someone to do? I'm an okay solderer, but not a pro...

Check out the pic...

Thx for the pic. Not the hearing aid type battery I had in mind but then again check this out ---- a web search for the battery type listed in the Juno 60 service manual looks a bit different sizewize from what's inside your Juno. Here's one web page that shows the battery....battery listing

If you can find the exact same battery as in your Juno now then maybe there's a 50% chance it'll have the solder tabs already attached to it. You may have to look around. And soldering tabs onto a battery that doesn't have them is usually impossible to do and I think there's risk in the battery exploding if you heat it up too much with your iron.

First, clip off the old battery leads using a very sharp pro wire nippers. Don't heat the battery with your iron! It's old and can explode. Then clean up the job with a solder sucker.

If you can't find an exact replacement with pre-attached tabs then find a battery holder for the CR-1/3N type battery. There are usually two types of battery holders for these kinds of lithium batteries. One has leads and the other is PC mount. Don't know for a fact that you can get either of these. But assuming you can........ If you go PC mount, you may or may not have to do a little jury rigging to get it to solder neatly in place. After you solder one end to the board, the other end may be too far away from the other trace. It's OK to use a very short piece of buss wire to connect the other tab to the PC.

For the lead-type battery holder, try to keep the leads as short as possible. Mount the battery to the inside of the Juno using a self adhesive mounting cable tie block and a cable tie.

If you can't get the exact battery replacement or find battery holders for it then you can probably get away with using almost any kind of lithium battery that has the same voltage output and has an easily obtainable battery holder. But don't hold me to that.:D

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Old thread comes back to life :cop:

I found this information considering the Alpha Juno "check battery" thing on the Internet:

After battery replaced, should do the following:

1. Power off

2. Set protect to off

3. Power on while holding down Portamento and Data Transfer

This resets the RAM and solve the Check Battery problem.

I have a question too:

How do I replace the battery on my Alpha Juno 2?

Archived