Anyone here use Ableton Live to record with??

• Members

I have downloaded the demo and am pretty much set to buy it - might wait till 5 comes out though. Only thing is my computer (MAc G4 800mhz 1 gig ram OS10.2.8) seems like it may not be fast enough to handle too many tracks. I get a few tracks going and the CPU meter in Live is already up to like 25%. Maybe I should get another hard drive to just run live and reason. Anyways I am loving the simplicity of it so far - big change from Digital Performer.

• Members

i use live. my 1ghz powerbook is not powerful enough for me to do much more than a few simple beats or maybe record audio...

though live 5 is will allow track freeze -- that definatly works to your (our) advantage. but beware!

that said live on my AMD 2500+ desktop is quite nice. its the only DAW i have installed.

i

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

though live 5 is will allow track freeze -- that definatly works to your (our) advantage. but beware!

beware of what? I was probably gonna wait till 5 came out. I read about the track freeze and it seems that it may be a solution - but not sure.

• Members

Sad reality is that a good quality Dothan/Centrino or Sonoma chipset based XP (Intel Mobile) will absolutely cream a Powerbook when running LIVE.

Simple one of life's bitter pills to swallow.

A 1.86ghz Dothan will easily run 20-30 tracks of audio + some 20 odd + VST effects for example.

Mine can easily sequence up roughly 12-16 tracks of VSTi's (depending on the VSTi's used) + a good 20 VST effects plus some 12 odd stereo audio tracks and very rarely go over 60% totall CPU use.

LIVE is NOT Altivec or Dual Core optimised so a top end Dothan / Sonoma on XP runs Live with about the same grunt as a G5 Dual 2.5 ghz Desktop.

Infact the LIVE test carried out on the Abelton forum found the 2.0 ghz Dothan/Sonoma and the AMD based 3500+ laptop processor where pretty much the two fastest and high powered options for Live currently on the market.

The Imac 2ghz 20" model runs alot closer spec wise to the slightly lower 1.6-1.7ghz Centrino's and will give you far more power than any on market Powerbook can.

Until Mac unleash their first Intel based notebooks the only app's that will give you maximum power on their laptops will be Logic 7 and Digital Performer which both have dual core and full altivec optimisations.

If you can wait that long get Live now and worked within it's limitations on your Powerbook.

If not a good quality PM Centrino/Dothan/Sonoma based Intel laptop will give you the best power based perfiomance for Live in a portable , lightweight , long battery life package.

I might add that live is very stable on XPPro infact I've never had the app crash in some 1.5 years myself.

• Members

Wait until Live 5 but if you can buy Live 4 and get Live 5 for free, then do it It's an awesome application. The Live 5 extra features are worth it.

It IS the top app for remixing IMO or if you prefer to use a lot of hardware. It's also great for DJing.

I use Live on a 1 Ghz Powerbook and have no problems. I don't know what the deal is with the other folks here but it works great. I just limit my softsynths to the versatile essentials and midi up the ER1 MkII.

Check this link for the setup.....

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=6292&T=2211

:)

• Members

Originally posted by John B NYC

Im pretty excited for the new powerfull mac laptops
;)

Yeah they're long overdue.

I'm half thniking this was one reason for the Intel switch.

IBM just couldn't deliver on a G5 laptop due to design problems based around heat sync issues.

I think both platforms will be on a far more even playing field in the mobile computing stakes within a year or two.

The PC laptop has really evolved quite rapidly in the last 3 or so years in particular.

Hell even 4 years ago I would have gone for a Powerbook over an Intel based craptop.

That said I have not had one bluescreen of death or crash with XpPro (maybe I'm lucky) and these new systems are way more stable than anything 98 / SE / 2000 or ME could manage.

I'll be watching closely to see just what develops on the Mac horizon as I've been hanging out for Metasynth for quite some time.

• Members

Originally posted by flukewurm

it works... but one instance of waldorf attack and one instance of simpler and my CPU is already choking.

I can run 3 instances of Key Rig, 2 KLC instruments (Not Legacy Cell), and Kontakt 2 for drums. I bus the effects.

Notice I was kind of picky for what would be used on the laptop. (No Mimimonsta, Tau 2, Logic 7 or Garageband.)

• Members

Originally posted by electrobaby

Do you guys think a separate external hard drive would help Live run better ...or is it a processor issue alone?

In any DAW, it's pretty much mandatory you have a separate HD for your audio files. The files are streamed from the HD, yet at the same time the OS, background apps, and maybe the DAW app are checking the HD for various things or using it as temporary memory.

Anyway, so I've a demo version of Ableton I was messing with until I loaded up Tracktion. I like Tracktion a lot better, but I'm wondering if I missing something in Ableton.

Seems to me you really can't piece together a tune until you have the little sections built (pardon my short term memory and lack of using the proper Ableton nomenclature) and THEN the first thing you have to do is record a live session? Is this right? Where's the song list or where do I paste together the main song by hand?

• Members

Originally posted by sizzlemeister

Seems to me you really can't piece together a tune until you have the little sections built (pardon my short term memory and lack of using the proper Ableton nomenclature) and THEN the first thing you have to do is record a live session? Is this right? Where's the song list or where do I paste together the main song by hand?

i thought this at first (and was nauseated at the idea) but it turns out this is absolutly false. in fact its a GREAT app for building tracks like you would any regular DAW.

i start out a tune with a few loops.. after i have the basic jist of the tune i record a short improvisation of the loops.. nothing too much, maybe just the intro. then from there on out i ususally dont TOUCH the session view..

from there if im sequencing a lot of drums and feel like i want a bridge thats pretty long and not repetitive i can just copy and paste one of the stretches of midi and erase any midi notes in that copy and sequence what i want from and as long as its not.. erm.. attatched to the other set of midi loops then nothing will be edited on the original midi sequence.. get it? :eek::mad:

play with the envelopes a lot in arrangement view. very clean design.

you an also record audio or midi in the arrangement view just like any daw.

one other thing. something thats really kinda handy in arrangement view - along the same lines as copying and pasting a lot - is duplicate.. ctrl+d.. it copys and pastes a highlighted selection direction in front of that selection.