Getting to Know You (Introduce Yourself!)

dafduc

• Members

Hiya. Lots of newbs coming over in the next few weeks, I'd imagine. I'm one of them - I thought this might make a good icebreaker thread.

I'm Dafduc, live north of Detroit, 50, married, 2 kids, 3 grandkids. I'm a cheap gear slut - rarely buy anything for more than $500, and when I do, it better be a bargain. My prize possessions are my Rhodes 73 stage, Hammond D-152, Prophet 5 (rev 3.3) and Arp Odyssey. My "working" rig (sorta - no gigs) is an Alesis QS-8.1 and a K-Station, split through a mono PA-style setup and an Ashdown 300/410 combo - I'm playing LH bass as well as keys.

I also work as a church musician - Kawai Grand piano, Casavant pipe organ (I'm not very good at that), and Roland VK-8. Do some songwriting, have one published church piece, and have pieces on the last few Keyboard Corner compilation discs.

My day gig is as a software tester - pays way more bills than church musician.

When I'm not spamming KSS/KC, I'm spamming over at www.recordingproject.com , where my post count is so high it's just silly. Fun place, but only a few keyboardists or bassists there, so I've been coming to musicplayer to talk keys/bass - now it'll be HC, I guess.

Anyhow, happy to be here. I'm sure I'll get to know you guys soon enough.

Best,

Daf

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OK, I'll play. Can't find a more standardized Introductions thread anyway.

Originally posted by dafduc

Hiya. Lots of newbs coming over in the next few weeks, I'd imagine. I'm one of them - I thought this might make a good icebreaker thread.

I'm one as well. I'm probably going to be keeping my musicplayer.com account for a little while after the Great Diaspora just to see if it continues to be worth my while-- but getting dB in as mod is at the very least a known quantity and I can count on a fairly good signal to noise ratio.

Anyway. Fulcrum here, from Deepinaharta CT, composer, songwriter, boardsbasher, "vocalist". I am somewhere north of 40 years of age if you plot it in a Cartesian sense.

I have a bunch of keyboards down in my basement but only two in my sanctum sanctorum: a Kurzweil K-2000 and an Ensoniq EPS (which makes a decent controller). Most all of my other sounds come from within the box... which box contains a 2.8 GHz P4 and 1GB of RAM, and a hard disk with Sonar 3 PE, assorted plugs from Arturia, Native Instruments, Waves, Sonitus, and pretty much every last freebie I could cop from KVR.

I am contemplating a career change from IT (which may not be here much longer anyway) to music... reckoning that as long as I'm going to be working till I die anyway, I may as well enjoy my work. My current focus is composing for games and the possibility of using the Inter-not for freelance session work.

My church choir director would have you believe that I am qualified to call myself a church musician by virtue of my singing ability (i.e., ability to carry a tune). That's open to view, but I have composed one or two sacred works for the choir (I do sing with them when I can) and am looking haphazardly for a publisher.

Other than that I have contributed to a number of online collaborations at my main hang (the MARSH at ProSoundWeb) and to the latest Keyboard Corner compilation, and am trying to finish up the Fulcrum album already so that I can move on to the next one. Also one of the PSW collaborations has turned into an album project. Never hurts to have more than one project going.

Nice to be here.

• Members

Hey, thanks all. And hi again, clusterchord! Also nice to finally find out what that fulcrum guy was all about too. All I knew before was based on his KC avatar... :D

Jigg & SirG, I'm in Emmett, in the southern thumb, west end of St. Clair County. Church I'm working at currently is in Romeo. And pighood, I was in a band in College Park for a couple of years, late '80s. Wifee didn't like DC, we eventually made it back to Motown.

Go Tigers!!! My day gig is about 5 blocks from Comerica Park, BTW.

Daf

• Members

My name's Dave Bryce. I'm 44, and I live in Thousand Oaks, CA.

Professionally, I am the VP of US operations for ADAM Audio and the sales manager for Dave Smith Instruments (where I also help with marketing and R&D/sound design). I worked for Kurzweil for lots of years as tech support, sound design and clinician. I also worked for Alesis for five years as clinician, marketing manager for the synth division as well as participating in R&D and doing lots of sound design - I even ran the sound design group for a while. Somewhere on HC, I believe there's actually a cheesy video of me demoing the Andromeda (which I named) when we first showed it at Winter NAMM 2000. I have also written reviews and articles for EM, EQ and Keyboard magazines, as well as being the moderator of The Keyboard Corner over on the musicplayer.com site since the forum began in October 2000.

Gear-wise, I'm down to around 25 hardware synths at this point. My faves include my Andromedas (I have two, including the first beta unit), DSI Poly Evolver keyboard (s/n #1) and PE rack, Rev 5 MKS-80, Prophet VS, Wavestation, MKS-70, EX5-R and my Rivera modded Bob Moog autographed Mini. I also own lots of Alesis synths (no surprise there) and a MOTIF ES8. I also have a bunch of software synths, including (but not limited to) the Korg Legacy collection, Synthogy Ivory, Powercore Virus and V-Station, NI B4 and the recently-added Garritan GPO, all running on my Mac G5.

Musically, I've been playing keyboards since I was nine. My baby is my K. Kawai grand piano, which is definitely my favorite of all of my keyboards. I also play some guitar, some bass, some drums and some horns. I've played on lots of other people's recordings (none of which any of you have probably heard of), and have done two of my own solo records (neither of which any of you have really ever heard of). I also do voice over stuff - mostly commercials and the occasional video game (anybody ever play Star Control II: Masters of the Ur-Quan? I'm a bunch of those voices).

Other things that occupy my time - pro football, basketball (not until after the all-star game), going to the gym, playing poker and video games (Metroid rules!), cooking, and occasionally scuba diving (although not too much these days).

I also spend way too damn much time on internet forums. ;)

dB

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid

pre-season rankings are like OASYS threads

:o

but, much better to look at our next season than to think about the one we just finished...

ouch!

pssst......we better not highjack this thread or we might get........banned!!! :eek:

-G

• Members

Originally posted by Analog Kid:

pre-season rankings are like OASYS threads

LOL! :D

Originally posted by SirGarrote

pssst......we better not highjack this thread or we might get........banned!!!
:eek:

For talking sports? Not bloody likely. ;)

Just start a college football thread. :cool:

dB

• Members

Hi all,

I'm one of the many KC'ers that's now following dB over here. I'm 42 and have been playing keyboards since I was a kid (five for piano, 10 for electonic boards). I've been in a number of bands over the years, and currently play keys, guitar and some bass in two bands on the weekends (one a cover band, the other a kid-focused folk/rock band). By day, I'm a lawyer focusing on patent and copyright work.

Musically, most of my gear is oriented toward a Mac-based home-studio (NI Komplete, Reason, Logic Pro, PTLE, boatloads of other plug-ins), but my performing rig is a Fantom-S88 and Alesis Ion coupled with an Edirol controller that I use to play B4 and sometimes Absynth or Reason live. I've also got a piano at home (nothing like dB's Kawai...unfortunately), but it gets used.

Originally from Michigan, so think Wings (duh), Spartans, Tigers, Pistons, Lions (although I've adopted the Raiders), etc...

Looking forward to joining in on the discussions here.

Go Wings!! (that is, if they'd ever get off their butt and sign a contract....yeeesh)

--Mark

• Members

Hello.

I'm Postman and I'm part of the Keyboard Corner invasion force. I could go into a lot of boring details about my rig and playing habits/preferences, but my real purpose in being here is to hassle DB about his embarrassing allegiance to the Oakland, no, L.A., no wait, Oakland Raiders. That's really all you need to know about me.

Hi, Dave! Thought you could sneak out on me, eh?

• Members

Originally posted by Red Winger

Originally from Michigan, so think Wings (duh), Spartans, Tigers, Pistons, Lions (although I've adopted the Raiders), etc...

Go Wings!! (that is, if they'd ever get off their butt and sign a contract....yeeesh)

--Mark

sweet :) we can always use more sports fans around here.....especially ones from detroit!

i live in miami now.....was fortunate enough to go to 3 of the pistons/heat games down here, including Game 7 (one of the best nights of my LIFE). killer time :cool:

my brother, who still lives in detroit, has been telling me how all of the sports bars downtown (ie. hockeytown cafe) are on the verge of collapsing due ot hte hockey holdout. sucks :( absolutely splendid place to watch the games at...

-G

• Members

oh, and by the way, i'm a classically trained pianist in grad school for composition and theory. also huge into techno, d'n'b, etc......so thats where my electronic music interests lay.

thought i should remain on topic at least in one post ;)

-G

• Members

I have been a fairly frequent contributor to The Fantomized Forum and recently looking for additional keyboard groups. I'm an electrical engineer who started playing keyboards 3 years ago. I live in Thousand Oaks, Ca. (Hi Dave!) and have lived here for 20 years. My wife and I will be married 20 years on July 20th, (Ive got to start shopping for an anniversary present!!)

I've got a Yamaha GH1FP that I bought new 2 years ago from Keyboard Concepts, a Roland Fantom X8 running operating system version 2.0, a Yamaha 76 key PSR aranger, an Alesis mixer, a pair of Event monitors, 4 guitars (Fender, Epiphone, Yamaha, and a Candelas classical, and a 100+ year old Kimbal upright grand piano.

I'm taking piano lessons and enjoy learning/playing classic rock, pop, jazz/blues, and classical. Lately I'm learning Beatles tunes and I'm playing Yesterday, Here Comes the Sun (Harrison), You Never Give Me Your Money, Let It Be, Long and Winding Road (McCartney), Imagine (Lennon) etc. I'm definitely a "late-starter" to pianos and keyboards but at least I'm "Still Learning"

• Members

Is Red Winger or Phil B in the house yet? Know that they were Music Player forum people and have not heard from them since they left me as the last die-hard Fantom-S owner over at Fantomized. I believe that is safe to be a part of a forum with me in it again as I have my posting habits under control now.

At least I think I do. Lets not talk to my wife about that one.

Archived