PSB West End Girls bassline?

• Members

I tried to get that bass done on my Lead 2X but failed IMO. I got a lot closer using the MS2000B's square waves and on board effects. I haven't tried it on the PEK yet but I think that's the one that could likely nail it. I think it could be done pretty close on an Arp2600 too.

It does sound a bit FM'y but use of square waves could also bring that result.

• Members

suitandtieguy made a nice deductive analysis on AH about this...and I agree with what he said.

that said, it is hard to say for sure, what with the synth going to analog tape, going through a console, perhaps inserts, etc.

in any event, you can nail that sound with a Mini.

for that matter, do we mean the original Bobby O. version, or the EMI/Please version? ;)

anyway, here is a nice link for PSB gear talk (but no details on WEG bass).

http://www.garethmail.btinternet.co.uk/pets.htm

cheers,

Ian

• Members

From suitandtieguy:

it sounds like there is legato envelope action in that song, and it is a nice thick tone.

i'm guessing it's a minimoog because i thought Please was made almost entirely with an emulator, ppg somethingorother, hammond, piano, drum machines and a mini. i thought ...

i just went through my 1984-1986 booklet that came with the reissue of Please and i can find nothing about the bass on West End Girls, that the bass on "violence" is a "ppg synth" that you can play chords with, which is "...a sound on the PPG. It's the bass sound on the record. Actually, the same sound is also used for the organ. it's quite soulful." Chris had to have been talking about that particular song, because there are multiple bass sounds on the album. some of them are definitely sequenced (it's mentioned that the sequencer used on "Love comes quickly" was shifted a 16th note, resulting in the syncopated feel of the bass.)

however ...

there _is_ a picture of Chris playing a 106 (picture number 20) at their first concert in autumn of 1984, and Please was recorded at Advision Studios from November of 1985 to January 1986.

i cannot provide a concrete answer for the question. there isn't enough solid evidence to say either way. the bass on "West End girls" is _extremely_ cleanly played, suggesting a sequencer was used (as it was on many other songs on the album), but it doesn't really sound like a PPG and it doesn't really sound like a 106. it's definitely not an emulator.

if someone would like to take issue on the legato-ness i am hearing in the "West End girls" bassline (first phrase of the Em section of the verse, first two notes) i would be willing to believe it's a 106. i just don't want to believe that.

---

Eric Williamson

www.suitandtieguy.com

• Members

I wonder what is in that 84-86 booklet that came with the reissue.

My copy of Please is an EMI original pressing from back in the day.

Good golly, almost 20 years old now! :eek:

cheers,

Ian

• Members

Originally posted by midi

I'm pretty sure it was a Roland JU-106, just listen to some Madonna & Wham songs form the same era (84-87) and you'll hear the same bass sound....

Say it isn't so! :( I don't want to believe it either!

• Members

Originally posted by aeon

I wonder what is in that 84-86 booklet that came with the reissue.

My copy of
Please
is an EMI original pressing from back in the day.

dude, get the reissues. they are TOTALLY worth it. completely amazing packaging and bonus discs.

the only thing missing is the original "West End girls", which they don't own.

btw, it's kind of wild to see my anorak ramblings about PSB wind up in another forum. thanks for thinking my deductive reasoning is worth reading.

oh and there's no way in hell that's a bass drum layered with a dx7 i'm afraid. i would sooner believe that it was a bass accordian being pumped by Bobby O's asscheeks and fed through a VCS3 than that.

and what i didn't mention on AH because the thread is dead is that i have played my Mini along with the album and i really do think it's that. it's like the bass on ELP's Welcome ... Ends live album: i can get most of the way there but there's something else in the chain keeping me from nailing it.

mastering didn't involve the Waves L2 or multiband compression back then so i'd guess it was either tape saturation or a compressor (as another AHer pointed out).

• Members

side note to those searching the AH archives:

later on in the thread someone claims that "all" of the PSB sequencing was done by one man named pete, and that chris doesn't do anything but read magazines in the back of the studio during the sessions.

because this is not AH (which is more firmly moderated than this and i _will_not_ give mike perkowitz headaches by feeding a troll) i will warn you that there is absolutely no way that is true. they do have other people do much sequencing and production work for them, but there have been a very wide variety of producers the PSB have worked with AND chris lowe wrote a ton of their songs on his Fairlight.

they are not slouches.

• Members

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

oh and there's no way in hell that's a bass drum layered with a dx7 i'm afraid. i would sooner believe that it was a bass accordian being pumped by Bobby O's asscheeks and fed through a VCS3 than that.

And you know this how? Just curious...:)

Like I said, that's what the article said...

• Members

Originally posted by lasselu

And you know this how? Just curious...
:)
Like I said, that's what the article said...

Lasselu, I believe you might be thinking of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax - according to a Trevor Horn interview in SOS the bass sound was created by layering a LinnDrum bass drum with a bass guitar emulator sample..

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994_articles/aug94/trevorhorn.html

• Members

Originally posted by Rasmus-DK

Lasselu, I believe you might be thinking of Frankie Goes To Hollywood's Relax

Nope, I'm 100% sure it was an article about PSB...

In fact, the same article also said that the reason that the bass sequence in Love Comes Quickly changes beat after the intro is because their TB303 lost sync and they liked the result...and as far as I can remember Frankie has never recorded a track called Love Comes Quickly...;)

• Members

i would like to offer one free STGB album to the first person who can make the "West End girls" bassline with a DX7 and a kick sample.

then i will take you to Jim's Steakhouse and buy you a 30 oz london broil and a few drinks.

you must accept the reward in person and you must provide patch examples.

Archived