What's the difference between Roland's PK-5 vs. PK-5A

tdempsey

• Members

Hi gang,

I'm poised to pull the trigger, but I thought I read here that the PK-5 is discontinued (so prices are "workable") and is being replaced by the PK-5A.

Is there any difference in the two models feature set, build, etc. that would merit the $150 difference of the PK-5A? :confused:

Thanks for any informed replies.

And believe me, I've googled this extensively.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Now that we are on the topic of the Roland PK-5, I have a question about the thing... I understand that it's a MIDI pedal unit and of course doesn't generate any sound itself, that the sound is generated from an outside MIDI source. But in a close-up of the unit on Musician's Friend, I notice that it has several modes of operation, such as bass, drums, and then it has the MIDI control mode. If the pedals are simply triggers for a MIDI sound source, what are the bass and other modes for?

• Members

Poly and Bass mode treat the pedals like a regular keyboard but the Bass mode is mono. Makes for easier pedalling by those with two left feet.

Drum and Sample mode are fundamentally the same: you can assign each pedal whatever MIDI note value you choose. Drum mode default preset is mapped out to a Roland style drum kit.

The factory presets are also set to channels commonly used by a number of Roland modules - I suppose channel 2 is commonly a bass channel on certain module presets.

• Members

Is there any difference in the two models feature set, build, etc. that would merit the $150 difference of the PK-5A?

Where are you seeing a $150 price difference?

From my quick searches they both seem to be sold for about $500 at many places.

e.g. zzounds, samash and sweetwater have the PK-5 for that price, and musician's friend has the PK-5a for the same price. At a couple of places (e.g. B&H photo) the PK-5a is a bit cheaper at ~$450.

• 8 years later...
  • Members

Hi!

From reading their manuals online it seems to me like the pk-5A can transpose (at least in POLY mode) but that the pk-5 can't. Can anyone verify this? Is there no way to transpose either of them in BASS/MONO mode? I'm looking to buy one but in that case I might have to go for a PK-6 instead.

Archived