What does Coldplay use to get their dreamy pad keyboard sounds??

BLive

• Members

Originally posted by Jotown

Well the searched threads you listed Brazillian don't say anything about the pads they use. Any ideas?

"I think they actually used an EX5's "Warmer" patch alot on A Rush of Blood for that backing synth/string sound on songs like "Clocks".. (at least it sounded spot on to that patch).

IMO, from my experience playing, the synth strings on the new one are most definately a VA or some sort of digital synth. Sound like Novation to me. Listen to that synth string breakdown at the end of track 2 and you'll see what I mean. There's no way it's analog and it has that distinct Novation sound to my ears."

"just had a look at the inlay of the new album. If you look at the green page (4 pages in), you can see Chris playing a Yamaha CS80. "

"That's definately a Voyager. There is even a shot of the back and you can see the "vo" on the back.

But yeah, it's interesting that he was playing polyphonic pads and stuff. Are you sure the Voyager isn't poly-switchable? I have no idea. I was almost certain that it was only monophonic, because that was the argument about having to spend 3000 bucks for a mono synth.....

I can't imagine why they would midi it to another synth, but I guess it's definately possible..."

"...You can chain multiple Voyagers and Voyager RME's to get some polyphony."

• Members

To add.. you can get that type of pad sound on just about any synth. A Triton, EX5, Motif etc.. just about any rompler/workstation could do it. I would also say VAs or Analogs, but their stuff has more of a half sample half modelled sound to my ears.

By the way.. they definately play a Voyager, but I think it's just for show and they actually use it to trigger a polyphonic synth. I don't really hear anything on the newest album which sounds like a Moog to me.

• 10 years later...
  • Members

Ok here I am replying to an 11 year old post - I have found myself looking for the same background pads you have mentioned - Coldplay has had several albums out since this post started - but if you look at the 2003 Live in Australia DVD there's a picture of them sound checking at an outdoor venue - Chris Martin has a Korg Triton on top of his piano - to think they would use a CS80 is bull****.... KORG TRITON - you can get all those pads in a Korg x50 now for a fraction of the cost - or perhaps even a MicroX - what has plenty of Triton sounds..there you go -

• Members

Well, I doubt they'd tour with a CS80 being that even if it were brand new, it has stability issues. They may have got those pad sounds in a studio that owned a CS80 and use a Korg Triton just for touring as I'm sure the Triton can simulate those sounds in a live arena so that few would know the difference.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • Members

also searching for that patch

so that high soaring string synth sound has been around for a while.

it's on the Cure's "Just Like Heaven" - the descending melodic line

David Bowie - "Ashes to Ashes"

Gary Numan - "Cars"

so many more.

i'd be surprised if Coldplay wasn't using a patch that emulates or reproduces the classic synth.

but which one? still searching.

• 1 year later...