Roland D-10 Memory Bkup Battery Replacement?

DWOOD

• Members

Hi,

New to this group.

I have my original Roland D-10 keyboard that I just pulled out of storage after 10 years. In the manual it talks about the CR-2016 Memory Backup battery that needs to be replaced every 5 years or so.

I've never replaced mine . . . it still seems ok. The manual states you have to send the keyboard to an authorized Roland Service Center for battery replacement.

Obviously I don't care to do that. The cost would exceed the value of this boat-anchor unit.

The case has zillions of screws. Can anyone tell me [before I tear into this thing] the approximate location of the battery and if it is preferable to remove the top or bottom of the cabinet.

I think the internal layout is the same for the D-5 and D-20.

Thanks in advance.

DON

• Members

You don't need to send it into an authorized service center for a battery replacement. I haven't changed a battery on that model, but I have on a number of other keyboards and modules and it's not very difficult, although on some models it's soldered to the board, so it needs to be de-soldered/re-soldered. However, I believe Rolands are a simple drop-in operation. I'm not sure where it's located in your synth, but it's ususally pretty obvious once you open it up. Probably better to open it from the top. It's generally a lithium battery the size of a dime or quarter. in a plastic slot. Those things can last an incredibly long time and you'll usually get a message on the screen saying "battery low", although on some units if the patch names start appearing all jumbled, that can be a sign as well.

Be aware that in changing a battery, you can loose any custom patches you have stored in the synth when it reinitalizes and automatically resets to factory sounds - so be sure to back up any custom patches if you have them. Good luck!

• Members

Just for the record . . . in case anyone reads these old posts, the replacement battery in the D-10 turned out to be a no-brainer.

1) remove all the screws in the bottom of the cabinet except those holding the four rubber feet.

2) remove the bottom row of screws along the back panel.

3) at this point the metal bottom panel lifts off and reveals all the circuit boards inside. The battery [a CR-2032, not 2016] is in a 'snap-in' holder and is easily replaced.

4) all the stock D-10 sounds will be lost and will need to be reloaded. I had them on a 256D memory card so no problem.

Also replaced the battery in the 256D memory card. It was confusing at first . . . then I found the printed directions. The thing is so thin I couldn't believe there could even be a battery in it. But there was . . . . It is located in a little slide-out holder on the end opposite the electrical contacts. You catch the holder with a fingernail and pull it out. All of its memory is also lost.

It uses a CR-2016 battery.

Archived