Keytar?

• Members

I may get myself into trouble here, but I think it would be the cat's ass to have a keytar. Seriously. No, truly - I actually mean it.

Problem is that I have no idea where to start. Or should I say that I've started but have no idea of what to do next. I've found many different models that are/were available, but I have trouble figuring out what's right for me.

Casio:

AZ-1

Korg:

RK-100

Moog:

Liberation

Roland:

AX-1

AX-1B

AX-7

SH-101

AXIS

Yamaha:

SHS-10

SHS-200

KX-5

The biggest problem I see is that most of these are simply MIDI controllers and create no sounds of their own. That's not really what I want, or is it? How easy/affordable IS it to also have whatever is needed to connect a MIDI controlling keytar to in order to plug it into an amp and go? As you can see, I lack all the knowledge I need in order to figure out just what the hell I need.

I really just want something I can plug into a capable amp and stab away, if it's possible. I've really only found definite literature on the Liberation as being perhaps capable of this, though it is a gargantuan machine.

Does anyone have the know-how on which of these (or something altogether different) might satisfy what I'm looking for?

• Members

I think keytars are great personally. I had a Roland AX7 for a while but I didn't like the pitch ribbon, modulation bar (simply on/off) or the fact it didn't have aftertouch...

I had the impression that tthey shold lend themselves to more expressive guitar type solos, but the Roland didn't help in that aspect at all...

If I was to get one now I'd think about one of those Lyncs, or a controller that had expression wheels.

• Members

If memory serves, the Lync controller could transmit over 6 channels of MIDI simultaneously. No other brand at the time (mid- to late- eighties) could do that. There may have been some other advantages which I can't remember.

Jonathan Cain also used one during the 1986 Raised on Radio Journey tour.

I had (have) a Casio AZ1. I'd still use it today but notes get stuck from time to time when I use it any more. I wasn't able to find any loose connections with it and I only have hacks in this are that try to pass themselves off as electronic instrument egineers. :mad::cry:

• Members

You need to connect them (via MIDI) to a sound source. It could be a module or even another keyboard. Or even a PC running a VST softsynth or something.

Hopefully, you get one that runs on batteries, so you only need one wire coming out of it. (My guess is that most keytars, if not all, run on batteries.)

• Members

Are there any that you can just plug in and play? That create their own sounds?

It looks like perhaps the Moog Liberation can do this, though it looks back-breakingly large and somewhat less-sexy than a more streamlined keytar.

Man, synths are complicated. All the other instruments I play now seem so much simpler. And I can't imagine the nightmare I'm going to face when I look at home recording. Ugh.

• Members

Originally posted by PhreddyBoy

If you find a keytar that makes its own sounds, you will still need to plug it in to an amplifier of some sort.

That's what I'm wanting - to just go direct and play:

Keytar ----> Keyboard Amp

and not:

Keytar ----> Module / Keyboard ----> Who Knows what else ----> Amp

I just want to keep it simple and not have to have ten different things set up to make it work.

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

I think keytars are great personally. I had a Roland AX7 for a while but I didn't like the pitch ribbon, modulation bar (simply on/off) or the fact it didn't have aftertouch...

I had the impression that tthey shold lend themselves to more expressive guitar type solos, but the Roland didn't help in that aspect at all...

If I was to get one now I'd think about one of those Lyncs, or a controller that had expression wheels.

I just got an ax-7... and i agree, the pitch ribbon isn't that great, but the ax-7 can produce aftertouch, depending on what instrument you're controlling.

i only use sequencers right now.... i still have questions about that, if anyone can reply to my post from yesterday (?!?!)

• Members

Not exactly a keytar, but the upcoming Thummer Jammer looks like an interesting alternative, as it can be configured various ways for playing:

conc2web.jpg

stand1web.jpg

pole1web.jpg

They expect to sell it for $497 (Australian) in the second half of 2006. Some features:

- 2 thumb joysticks

- 2 CV inputs

- keys can send polyphonic aftertouch. Channel aftertouch is also possible

http://www.thummer.com/

• Members

My advice, although not exactly what you have in mind, is to combine a Roland AX7 (or something similar) with an Alesis Ion. You'll have to plug the one MIDI cable from the controller to the keyboard and then plug the keyboard into the amp, but it's a pretty simple setup that you should be able to pull off for around $1000. The Ion has the kind of analog lead sounds that make for great screaming solos...on a keytar, it doesn't matter so much whether you have a perfect piano sound.

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

Why not use a Korg Poly 800 or any of those 80s 4 octave synths with the guitar strap holders?

Must be a few of them around on ebay
:)

Not sleek and sexy enough.

The same reasoning behind me balking at the Moog Liberation, though it looks to be the most of what I'm looking for.

• Members

Originally posted by whitegreyblack

I'd just really like it if more keytars were more than just MIDI controllers. It's a real drag.

I guess that's how they're small and lightweight enough to wear. The thing that bothers me most on my AX7 is the cable which falls out easily (if not for the big strip of duct tape that keeps it in place). The wireless setup would be really cool but I don't use it enough to justify spending the money on the transmitter.

• Members

Originally posted by whitegreyblack

Yeah, I'd be using it mostly to muck around in my home music room, unless somehow I got my act together enough to actually need it in a live situation. The wireless MIDI would be mostly lost on my usage.

If you're only going to use it at home, perhaps a keytar isn't your best option; they're built more for allowing the keyboard player to get out from behind the stack on stage. Although it looks cool, I find mine a bit awkward to play and I can't say I play my best solos with it. I would start with the Ion or another lead synth and add the keytar later when you start gigging.

Archived