Best Latin Band with Horns (Need suggestions)

acoustictones

• Members

OK, I need a few suggestions here (And if any of your suggestions can be found on iTunes...ALL THE BETTER). :D

I am in the process of writting a number of new tunes, and they are very Latin sounding. I wold like to add some good horns to them, but would like to listen to a few other bands to gain some fresh ideas.

Can anyone here recomend a few bands that with some GOOD latin horn sounds?

Most of the Latin music I listen to is Flamenco, and it is VERY guitar driven, and I really need something to inspire me that has a lot more horns.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome!!! :thu:

• Members

Are you looking for like some good latin jazz? Thats actually what I am looking for. Something more jazz, with latin flavor... like Art Blakey's version of A Night In Tunisia. Someone had suggested Willie Bo Bo to me, but when I listed to his stuff it was too latin and not enough jazz for me.

• Members

And, now that I think of it, you might want to check out some Soca music (there are two Soca samplers on iTunes: Soca 101 vols 1&2). Soca (SOul CAlypso) comes from a horn-heavy (in all senses) and very Latin-esque tradition and some of the newer stuff features synths covering what used to be the horn parts. Lots of rhythm loops to boot. Not to mention that most of it's just good fun.

• Members

Watch/tape/TiVo "Sabado Gigante", the huge variety show. I don't remember if it's on Univision or Telemundo. I catch parts of it when I'm channel surfing on a Saturday night. There is always a great salsa band (or 2) with a hot horn section that will give you some ideas.

• Members

Originally posted by Doug Gifford

And, now that I think of it, you might want to check out some Soca music (there are two Soca samplers on iTunes: Soca 101 vols 1&2). Soca (SOul CAlypso) comes from a horn-heavy (in all senses) and very Latin-esque tradition and some of the newer stuff features synths covering what used to be the horn parts. Lots of rhythm loops to boot. Not to mention that most of it's just good fun.

Remember that Soca and Latin music have some simialarites but are entirely different music. Soca is music form Trinidad, Antigua, Dominca, Saint Vincent etc... It is great music.

• 10 years later...
  • Members
OK, I need a few suggestions here (And if any of your suggestions can be found on iTunes...ALL THE BETTER). :D

I am in the process of writting a number of new tunes, and they are very Latin sounding. I wold like to add some good horns to them, but would like to listen to a few other bands to gain some fresh ideas.

Most of the Latin music I listen to is Flamenco, and it is VERY guitar driven, and I really need something to inspire me that has a lot more horns.

Any help or suggestions would be welcome!!! :thu:

There's many latin groups with with good brass section. One of my favorite is Grupo Niche. Give them a listen Im sure you'll like them

• 10 months later...
  • Members
OK' date=' I need a few suggestions here (And if any of your suggestions can be found on iTunes...ALL THE BETTER). :D

Any help or suggestions would be welcome!!! :thu:[/quote']

• Members

Check out some of Damas Gratis' music. They sometimes use real horns (trumpets and trombones, the sax is always synth), and as a bonus, their singer is a keyboardist as well and uses a Roland AX-1, Roland XP-10, and Korg N364. The music style is Cumbia villera. So check out some of their music. Also, check out salsa/mambo/Cumbia. There are lots of horns in them. I second Grupo Niche and Tito Puente.

Archived