Workstation- keyboard desks

• Members

I was wondering about how to attach a sliding 88 key workstation shelf to my desk to park a synth on sometimes - whe having long editing/sound crafting sessions with it.

Anyone know of a synth shelf add-ons that could be potentially hijackled and welded to a pre-existing metal desk frame?

The down side with keyboard stands is that programming the ones at the top is a pain - literally..

• Members

I built one a few months back. I put my main keyboard on the desktop and built a keyboard drawer for the computer keyboard.

I found that my video monitor was way too high with this setup, and I've since obtained one of those ergonomic arms that lets you swing the monitor whereever you want, and I'm using an LCD screen now. It's much better that way. I can have it sitting just above my S90ES, and if I need to get to the components in the racks, I swing it out of the way.

desk5.jpg

• Members

I bought the $200 'Creation Station' from GuitarCenter. I like it. I had one of my synths on the desk as a controller but then there's no room, so they're off to the left.

PICT0058.jpg

I have a small room, so this is about a big of a desk as I can fit in here. I'd like something bigger and wider eventually.

• Members

Originally posted by dan88z

I built one a few months back. I put my main keyboard on the desktop and built a keyboard drawer for the computer keyboard.

I found that my video monitor was way too high with this setup, and I've since obtained one of those ergonomic arms that lets you swing the monitor whereever you want, and I'm using an LCD screen now. It's much better that way. I can have it sitting just above my S90ES, and if I need to get to the components in the racks, I swing it out of the way.

desk5.jpg

Very Nice

I am thinking of doing a similar thing with the black top and lighter trim (like a KK audio desk)

What kind of wood is the desk top and edging made of??? and is that water or oil stain??

• Members

Thanks! This was a fun project to do. The desk itself is made of 3/4" plywood, but the kind that has 1 real nice side for finishing. The trim is just a plain pine trim, no ornamentation or anything. I used a black stain I had leftover from doing a floor in my son's room. We were looking at ebony and it wasn't dark enough so they mixed it up for us at Lowe's. After that dried and was sanded lightly, I did another coat with a color called Early American. The pine trim is also done with the early american color. It is all water based stain. I finished it with about 4 coats of water based poly to seal it. I think my total cost was about $75 which included the wood, trim, drawer hardware, and poly. I already had the stain and I reused rack rails I already had for the side with all the components, and made wood inserts to act as rails for the mixer side. The monitor arm I have now was about $100 but that was a gift certificate from work so it was really free.