Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have any of you guys ever sampled a sound or loop from someone else's music?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have any of you guys ever sampled a sound or loop from someone else's music?

Or is this beneath you?
    Personal Website: LANSTARR.COM * Band: DirtyBathWater.com

isnt that the whole point in hip-hop?

*ducks*
    Used Dave smith instruments MEK - $900 shipped

Comment

Originally posted by myteeGTi

*ducks*

www.lastband.com
      www.myspace.com/tlboe

Comment

I'm just starting to experiment more with sampling... i always kind of turned my nose up at it, but i've been craving that particular sound you can get by sampling drum beats from records and re-arranging the sliced hits. Myself I'm not into sampling whole loops or melody lines 'as-is'.

But I see nothing wrong with sampling whole loops if they are re-contextualized or harmonized in a creative way. The key is 'creative'.

And yes this is a big part of hip-hop. No need to duck..?

Comment

Originally posted by LANSTARR
          Or is this beneath you?

While I don't utilise loops that much these days, I'm very much of the "if it works, then why not?" way of thinking.

A lot of my loops come from very odd sources though, and I tend to try and mess them up a little...

a trick I learnt early on was to take say a drum loop or bass line REX it up then play the data of another REX loop on it... sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't but its a simple way to give new life to old loops...

My sources are generally old 1970s psych/electronic/jazz/funk/library/prog records but usually ones that nobody has ever heard (often for good reason.. they are crap!)... in fact I rarely like the original records from which they came from... usually its just 2-3 seconds of a great break in the middle of some terrible trashy crap..

Of course, I like many people here also have the skills to play music live and do a lot of that too.. but theres something nice about a sample and pitching it up and down, reversing stuff, EQing, compressing the f**k out of loops....

I love pitched rhodes chords on min 9ths for example... has a lovely vibe that can't really be had on a real rhodes...

Really, there shouldn't be any limits to what people want to utilise. Some people see it as a bit of a crutch, but I never see it like that... if something sounds good it is good.

Comment

All the time. Kontakt 2 and Peak are my friends.

Sampling is an art-form unto itself and another way to kill creative block.

Something else I learned while in England. They aren't as uptight about using bits of material, hell, I'm cutting up "True" by Spandau Ballet right now.
            https://soundcloud.com/jersey-blokeDSI Mopho X4Elektron Analog FourAkai MPC 2500StudioLive 16.0.2 Digital MixerAllen & Heath Xone VF-1 Analog Stereo FilterStudio One V2.5 Professional EditionAbleton Live 9 Standard

Comment

Or are you not creative and interesting enough to make something compelling with it?
              Yours,
              Niall.

Comment

I like to sample stuff...Ill generally change it until its unrecognizable from its original state, but if someone wants to use a sample of a cool melody from an old record or something, thats cool. I think they should give credit where its due if they use it verbatim on a published work though,with little or no changes done to the source material.
                Live for Nothing, or Die For Something - John Rambo

Comment

in a just and fair world, artists and lawyers would understand that the terminus of the work is the vernacular - indeed, the cliche. marketing types and record execs understand that the success of whatever "product" they're pushing can be measured by its metonymity - they just want, disingenuously, to be the arbiters of its use. so, sometimes, it's hard to give credit where it's due, or to be artistically transparent - you'll get cease and desist letters or be forced to destroy your work in public, in the worst case scenario {just ask john oswald, or negativland}.

seriously, i can't believe they had to take superman off that ****************ing sufjan stevens album cover.
                  Yours,
                  Niall.

Comment

*ducks*

why are you ducking?
                    Yours,
                    Niall.

Comment

Originally posted by syncretism
                      in a just and fair world, artists and lawyers would understand that the terminus of the work is the vernacular - indeed, the cliche. marketing types and record execs understand that the success of whatever "product" they're pushing can be measured by its metonymity - they just want, disingenuously, to be the arbiters of its use. so, sometimes, it's hard to give credit where it's due, or to be artistically transparent - you'll get cease and desist letters or be forced to destroy your work in public, in the worst case scenario {just ask john oswald, or negativland}.

seriously, i can't believe they had to take superman off that ****************ing sufjan stevens album cover.

"terminus"

"vernacular"

"metonymity"

"arbiters"

"****************ing"

"One of these words is not like the other.... "

Comment

Originally posted by orangefunk

Please make your check payable to Children's Television Workshop and remove our quoted content from your post forthwith.
                        Yours,
                        Niall.

Comment

Originally posted by syncretism

why are you ducking?

a lot of people tend to puff up when hip hop is insulted.

with that being said, hip hop ****************ing sucks. Crap excuse for music...

*ducks again*

Originally posted by orangefunk

I bet one of those words just doesnt belong.
                          Used Dave smith instruments MEK - $900 shipped

Comment

i've actually never seriously sampled from an existing song before in anything i've done that i've thought of as 'my own'. i know i've got some stuff on some old cassettes from when i got my first sampler, an SP-202 upon release (always hated that thing). even those don't really use full bars/riffs/beats from tracks usually. i do enjoy toying with the 'Amen, Brother' break every once in a while though, just for fun.

on the other hand, i myself really respect older hip-hop/sample based music. i think it's a bit of an art in itself, for example i think the Beastie Boys' 'Paul's Boutique' is somewhat of a timeless masterpiece. i really enjoy this type of 'sound collage' approach and think that sometimes two or more seperate pieces of music can form a better whole. how is that not creative, if only some sort of a 'found' art? i think the hip-hop boom of the 80s was could be thought of as making something new out of a bunch of old worthless junk (disguised as crates of vinyl at a flea market or thrift shop).

what i do think is lame is using pre-made sample loop CDs or the generic types of loops that come with Ableton Live, etc... i also felt pretty 'dirty' playing around with the factory samples on the MPC.

...with that being said, hip hop ****************ing sucks. Crap excuse for music...

that seems pretty shallow. maybe a crap excuse for lyrics/vocals/taste/image/role models/etc/etc...
                            output:noise

Comment

Sometimes I did - expecially now that I'm working on a strange hip hop project with a friend, that's almost compulsory, but I also like to sample strange things (for example, I sampled the start of the soprano chant in Greenaway's The cook, the thief, his wife and her lover and created a gloomy 1716 track with it). It's funny, indeed
                              My gear: Yamaha Motif 8 - Korg Kaoss Pad 2 - Alesis Ion - Athlon 64 3200+ 1g 200g hd - Novation Speed io - Evolution UC-33 - Tascam mm-1 mixer

OGD: For those who like improvisation, free rock, noises, low bitrate mp3 and italian writing

Comment

Working...
                              X