is usb port on keys midi only?

artsong

• Members

i'm looking at a yamaha synth/piano that has 1/4"outs, usb to source & to device and midi in/outs. unfortunately no digital spdif. can i use the usb as a digital audio out(not midi) where it would relay live sounds or does the usb only send midi?

• Members

It depends on the manufacturer's drivers.

General question and all, yeah my Edirol PCR-1 has a digital optical output (1/8" jack), and the audio data is sent from that output.

My bandmate's new Novation X-Station has a S/PDIF digital output (RCA jack) and it's audio data can be send at up to 48kHZ.

Even the Creative Soundblaster USB device (US $40) has a digital output at up to 48kHZ.

So yeah, maybe, and if not, well then maybe we don't get your question.

:)

• Members

Originally posted by artsong

it was a general question, does usb outs on a synth send digital audio or midi only. i wasn't referring to one specific keyboard.

And my answer to your question covered the general case. What's the problem here? Are you going to keep asking until the answer becomes 'yes' or 'no' ?

B>

• Members

it was a general question

On PSR keyboards it sends MIDI only. On an SH-201 it sends audio, too. So, "general" is not possible. There is however mLan, Yamaha's name for a Firewire connection, which does transmit audio and MIDI. I don't think they're switching over to USB-based mLan.

i wasn't referring to one specific keyboard.

But we still can't guess because it depends on the keyboard. However, I think that one could state with certainty that Yamaha does audio + MIDI via Firewire and MIDI only via USB.

• Members

mate, without advising us of the model number, we are all flying blind.... Yamaha make many different models of keyboards as do every other manufacturer and each particular model has its own particular things.... just like buying a spare part for your car.... you don't just go to the dealer and ask for a widget for X vehicle. You need to advise what type of car/model/rego....

The more information you provide...the better the answer

• Members

posting a question instead of looking in a manual does not make one a whiner. misinterpreting posts and calling people names does make one a jerk and possibly a drunk one at that, mr martini.

i'm not going to converse with you any further, nor read any more of your replies.

p.s. quit your false assumptions of gender.

• Members

yes, someone that's knowledgeable about it could state with some certainty that yamaha's usb ports are midi only.

I've never come across a Yamaha that supported audio over MIDI. In fact I can't think of many that do... some Novations, perhaps the VSynth XT (or is that not true?).

• Members

Originally posted by orangefunk

I've never come across a Yamaha that supported audio over MIDI. In fact I can't think of many that do... some Novations, perhaps the VSynth XT (or is that not true?).

Virus TI.

Hence my original reply, ignored by the whining poster, of "A very small number of synths do digital audio over USB. Why don't you read the manual?"

B>

• Members

thanks to the kinder folks who replied to my post without rudeness. i've found out the information i needed from another source. just to let any nice folks who might reply know, i won't be reading this thread anymore. i tried to delete it but wasn't able.

• Members

guys, he was talking about a Yamaha piano... do you know of *any* digital piano by any manufacturer that supports audio over USB?

I don't... I'm not sure there is a market for it...

Lets not try and scare people off... I've read the guys post again and don't know why theres so much aggression... I'm in the minority here I know... ;)

• Members

guys, he was talking about a Yamaha piano... do you know of *any* digital piano by any manufacturer that supports audio over USB?

I don't... I'm not sure there is a market for it...

Lets not try and scare people off... I've read the guys post again and don't know why theres so much aggression... I'm in the minority here I know...
;)

How you got 'digital piano' out of 'synth/piano', I don't know.

B>

• Members

Originally posted by packrat

How you got 'digital piano' out of 'synth/piano', I don't know.

B>

Yeah you're right... but you're really being mean and aggreessive from the outset.... I don't think this forum needs it... to me this aggression and "cleverness" doesn't make you look great at all...

I'm really done...

• Members

Yeah you're right... but you're really being mean and aggreessive from the outset.... I don't think this forum needs it... to me this aggression and "cleverness" doesn't make you look great at all...

I'm really done...

Garbage.

My first reply was "A very small number of synths do digital audio over USB. Why don't you read the manual?".

There are a small number of synths that do, but they don't in general do it. The manual is the only way to find out.

How is this aggressive? How is this mean? Do you think I should have gone out, researched and listed out every synth with USB from Yamaha and whether or not it could do audio over it? Are you insane?

Of course, when the whiny little original poster objected to having to think or do any work themselves, I might have become a little bit annoyed. Doubtless you think people continually asking the same question because they don't like the response they get is fine.

B>

Archived