Need Feedback concerning Emu B3 ROM.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello. I have a Emu B3 ROM inside a Vintage Keys Pro module. Im looking for feedback about the B3 ROM. What do you think? Does it sound decent, good, or good enough or does it suck. How important is the organ sound in the whole picture? Thanks

Oh, I forgot. How important is the leslie? Might there be a better effect unit that could emulate the leslie speaker better than what is found in the B3 ROM?

Thanks

• Members

How important is the organ sound in the whole picture?

Depends on your taste and needs, of course. If you play a lot of organ, it's very important. If you don't it's not.

For those of us doing a lot of 60s and 70s classic rock, it becomes VERY important. And the leslie sound becomes a very big componant of this. Simply put, if you want an organ sound that sounds as much like an organ as possible you need a realistic sound AND a realistic leslie simulation. The EMU does not have a very realistic leslie. You'll need another unit to run the sound through to achieve this effect. But if you don't use organ sounds much, or only use them as some 'flavor' on the top of other sounds, the sounds in the EMU should be more than sufficient.

How much, and what kind of organ sounds and for what purpose will you be playing? This will determine your needs.

BTW---if you find that the organ sounds in the Vintage Pro are suffcient for your needs, I'd be VERY interested in buying that B3 chip from you!

• Members

How much will you be playing organ and what sort of sounds will you be using?

I've found that unless I'm playing some 'serious' organ parts---like an old Deep Purple song or some such---a realistic leslie simulation isn't entirely necessary. The stock sounds in the keyboard are usually fine.

• Members

I've been VERY happy with my EMU B3 module for years. I still get complements on my live sound even usually in Mono with alesis QS7 controlling. BTW the fast or slow leslie samples are excellent in their acuracy but the crossfade from one state to other is somewhat noticable once your looking for it:( You simply can not find a more realistic warm organic B3 w/leslie for the $.

Kevin T

Originally posted by ChasIII

Hello. I have a Emu B3 ROM inside a Vintage Keys Pro module. Im looking for feedback about the B3 ROM. What do you think? Does it sound decent, good, or good enough or does it suck. How important is the organ sound in the whole picture? Thanks

Oh, I forgot. How important is the leslie? Might there be a better effect unit that could emulate the leslie speaker better than what is found in the B3 ROM?

Thanks

• Members

The EMU ROM is as good as B3 samples get, leslie included. I too have had other musicians regularly comment on how good my "Hammond" sounds. The leslie ramp up and down are not so good if you're up front in the mix but with a little tweaking are as good as most dedicated clonewheels IMO (I've owned a few and played a few more). The sound of the CX3, VK8 etc. are not IMO any better than the EMU, the EMU samples are grittier and have more character, and in a live situation where FOH sound is what counts you will not find better. For your own enjoyment, however, a real leslie (or Speakeasy Roadbox or perhaps a Motion Sound rotary unit) would make you really smile. I recently bought a Native Instruments B4d drawbar unit and it took a whole minute or two to have it set up so that I have realtime drawbar control. Funkin brilliant.

• 11 years later...
  • Members

Hi niacin,

although your post is quite old. I am trying to ask a question.

Recently I got an EMU B3 module and a NI B4D.

You wrote in your post that you managed to activate the realtime drawbar control very quick.

I tried it also but the B3 does not respond to the drawbars.

Can you please give me a hint how to make this work?

Or does anybody else know how to accomplish this?

Thanks a lot in advance

iomedia

• Members

Thanks so far. I get some kind of glimpse how it could work, although I am not sure if I can reassign the controls in B4D. And I cannnot find a manual for the B4D either.

As I am relatively new to this subject I would appreciate to find someone who has already done this.

Archived