sustain pedal question

villy

• Members

so in preperation for the arrival of my new roland sh-201 i went out and bought a sustain pedal.

i wanted a normal pedal - such as that when you depress it, the note you're playing sustains. but when i plugged it in to my yamaha p-80 to test it out, it did the opposite: the note sustains UNLESS you depress the pedal, in which case it is cut off.

the box says "sustain pedal: normally open switch" which i thought is what i wanted. do i want a normally closed? or something different? or is this just a malfunctioning piece of equipment?

• Members

Different switch pedals have differing polarities (+ or -).

Some keyboard products can support both types of pedal polarities because they have a "damper pedal polarity" setting.

Other keyboards only support a specific polarity.

I would check with Roland to see if the SH-201 supports only a single polarity pedal setting.

It appears the pedal you purchased DOES work, only backward. If there isn't a polarity setting in the SH-201, you will need to buy a pedal with a different polarity.

• Members

I'm not sure about either the SH201 or P80, but most newer keyboards that i've tried would 'look at' the pedal on power up and change it's internal configuration accordingly - so that either a NO or NC switch would work. If the P80 doesn't do that I would imagine there to be a menu option to change it - especially since NO is somewhat of a standard for sustain pedals. I can't imagine Yamaha using a proprietary system just to force you to buy their pedal.

• Members

thanks guys! i looked at the maunal for the sh-201 and in regard to pedals, it says: "DP series, sold seperately"

now, at the time i didn't know that one sustain pedal was different from the next, so i just went out and bought a random one at the local music store

but now i researched the DP series and it says nothing about NO or NC. the description reads: "Momentary footswitch for nonlatch footswitch operations such as sustaining notes on electronic keyboards. Black."

any idea what this means? i could always just wait for the keyboard to come and test it out.. but i figured it'd be nice to be ready beforehand.

• Members

Originally posted by villy

so in preperation for the arrival of my new roland sh-201 i went out and bought a sustain pedal.

i wanted a normal pedal - such as that when you depress it, the note you're playing sustains. but when i plugged it in to my yamaha p-80 to test it out, it did the opposite: the note sustains UNLESS you depress the pedal, in which case it is cut off.

the box says "sustain pedal: normally open switch" which i thought is what i wanted. do i want a normally closed? or something different? or is this just a malfunctioning piece of equipment?

You bought the correct pedal for your Roland. Roland products work with a normally open switch...

Yamaha products work with a normally closed, thats why your new pedal seems to work opposite with the Yamaha....

Congrats on the SH-201. It's a great synth....:thu:

• Members

Originally posted by Henway_piano

You bought the correct pedal for your Roland. Roland products work with a normally open switch...

Yamaha products work with a normally closed, thats why your new pedal seems to work opposite with the Yamaha....

Congrats on the SH-201. It's a great synth....
:thu:

great news! thanks a lot.. it's crazy that they have to make two types of 'em :rolleyes:

i'm lookin forward to the arrival of my first synth :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by villy

great news! thanks a lot.. it's crazy that they have to make two types of 'em
:rolleyes:

i'm lookin forward to the arrival of my first synth
:thu:

Some synth makers have wised up and made their units look at what's plugged into the inputs on power up, then automatically configure itself to wantever's there.

My Alesis 8HD does this.

I believe Fatar makes a foot pedal with a switch on the bottom so the pedal can work with instruments requiring either type....

Welcome to the

forum....:)

• Members

I have found on some keyboards that if you depress the pedal before you power on it will work backwards as you describe. Make sure your foot isn't resting on it before you power up. To correct the problem I had tp power off and on again.....

• Members

Originally posted by jchas

.... If the P80 doesn't do that I would imagine there to be a menu option to change it - especially since NO is somewhat of a standard for sustain pedals. I can't imagine Yamaha using a proprietary system just to force you to buy their pedal.

I can't remember if Yamaha calls it "Global" or not, but there should be a polarity setting there under "footswitch controlers" or some other such verbage. Be sure to write the global setting when done.

Archived