how do you get that rick wakeman lead sound?

bball_1523

• Members

For example, on the song "starship trooper" in the 2nd half they have all the soloing and Wakeman is playing around with his lead patch.

Does anyone know how to replicate that type of sound with a program like Reason?

I got something similar using the Malstrom, but it still doesn't sound as warm as Wakeman's.

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by bball_1523

For example, on the song "starship trooper" in the 2nd half they have all the soloing and Wakeman is playing around with his lead patch.

Does anyone know how to replicate that type of sound with a program like Reason?

I got something similar using the Malstrom, but it still doesn't sound as warm as Wakeman's.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GForce-Minimonsta-Virtual-Vintage-Analog-Synthesizer?sku=701812

This is it. This is a very good soft synth. It has all the original patchs from the minimoog and it has patches that were used my Rick Wakeman on various songs. I have listened to it and it is very good.

Im not familar with Reason or the other synth you mentioned.

• Members

Originally posted by ChasIII

This is it. This is a very good soft synth. It has all the original patchs from the minimoog [........]

The Minimoog did not have any "original patches" because it did not have any patch memory. Whatever you dialed up is the sound you got. But many famous Moog users in the 70s (Wakeman, Emerson ....) got certain sounds that we recognize as classic Minimoog "patches".

IMO, Wakeman (who I've been listening to since I was 13 years old in the early 70s), got two "most classic" sounds out of his Minimoog... the square-wave lead, and the muted hi-res sawtooth lead, both usually with ample helpings of glide (portamento) and outboard reverb/delay. This is a very easy sound to dial into almost any analog or VA synth. For the former sound, set all osc's to square wave, detune slightly, low resonance, mid-cutoff, set envelopes to taste. For the muted sawtooth sound, set all osc's to saw, set cutoff very low, set resonance up to about 1/3 amount, adjust envelopes to taste (the saw lead would usually have a longer release, though, like in Journey to the Centre of the Earth classic lead sound.).

Chas's suggestion is a good one of course (Wakeman endorsed it himself), but it will cost money. If you just want a freebie that has some of these classic sounds, try out the free MinimogueVA softsynth, which I co-developed: http://glenstegner.com/softsynths.html

I've programmed in a preset called "Wakeman's Journey" that gives a very convincing "Journey To The Centre of the Earth" lead sound.

• Members

Originally posted by ChipCurtis

The Minimoog did not have any "original patches" because it did not have any patch memory. Whatever you dialed up is the sound you got. But many famous Moog users in the 70s (Wakeman, Emerson ....) got certain sounds that we recognize as classic Minimoog "patches".

IMO, Wakeman (who I've been listening to since I was 13 years old in the early 70s), got two "most classic" sounds out of his Minimoog... the square-wave lead, and the muted hi-res sawtooth lead, both usually with ample helpings of glide (portamento) and outboard reverb/delay. This is a very easy sound to dial into almost any analog or VA synth. For the former sound, set all osc's to square wave, detune slightly, low resonance, mid-cutoff, set envelopes to taste. For the muted sawtooth sound, set all osc's to saw, set cutoff very low, set resonance up to about 1/3 amount, adjust envelopes to taste (the saw lead would usually have a longer release, though, like in Journey to the Centre of the Earth classic lead sound.).

Chas's suggestion is a good one of course (Wakeman endorsed it himself), but it will cost money. If you just want a freebie that has some of these classic sounds, try out the free MinimogueVA softsynth, which I co-developed:

I've programmed in a preset called "Wakeman's Journey" that gives a very convincing "Journey To The Centre of the Earth" lead sound.

that sounds really good, thanks!

oh and the version I was listening to was a live version.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah. I meant settings that could be dialed up or written down on paper and saved for later for future reference.

• Members

If you just want a freebie that has some of these classic sounds, try out the free MinimogueVA softsynth, which I co-developed:

That

• Members

Originally posted by Marzzz

I believe BBall was referring to the live version from Yessongs, specifically the solos performed by Wakeman and Howe near the end.

yes indeed that was the version I was talking about.

I was also wondering if anyone has heard Jordan Rudess use a similar patch on Dream Theater's song "Octavarium"? Rudess has almost the same exact sound as Rick Wakeman.

Archived