oscillators

surf nazis

• Members

Hey, I've been interested in making sounds with test audio oscillators. Considering the oscillaotrs dont have 1/4 audio outs, how am i supposed to get audio out of it?

are there things to watch (like different frequencies and such) to not blow my amps speakear and things like that?

HP%20200AB%20Audio%20Oscillator%20pic%20

thanks

• Members

originally posted by hyperstationjr

Why not sample it at lots of different frequencies to create a nice accurate, multilayered sample set?

originally posted by hyperstationjr

Shouldn't there be a way to convert the potentiometer that controls the frequency to a MIDI input instead?

And miss the fun of wheeling that giant dial? No sir! That thing screams "performance" :thu:

• Members

Originally posted by THE_baldrick

If it's just a sine wave oscillator, filtering won't do thing a thing except make it quieter.

Yep. You'd have to run it through some kind of effect first for the sine to become a more random type of wave before filtering would have any effect on the sound.

• Members

i have an Optimation vacuum tube oscillator with digital frequency selection which i used as an FM oscillator for the FilterFactory:

http://suitandtieguy.com/sights/tepdo_closeup.jpg

i found it on ebay and thought it looked bitchin', so i bought it and just hooked it up to the CV inputs of the FilterFactory.

it stopped working a while ago. i'll fix it as soon as i can figure out what's wrong with it.

• Members

Originally posted by program_insect

No no no, you guys are all noobs. Using a super-accurate test oscillator like this is the ONLY way to produce hit records. All you gotta do is use the Fourier equation and composite a few billion different sine waves to come up with your complete track. You can literally make any tune this way.

I think that is by far the nerdiest joke that made me laugh out loud. Ever.

• Members

Badass idea. Clips?

Originally posted by suitandtieguy

i have an Optimation vacuum tube oscillator with digital frequency selection which i used as an FM oscillator for the FilterFactory:

i found it on ebay and thought it looked bitchin', so i bought it and just hooked it up to the CV inputs of the FilterFactory.

it stopped working a while ago. i'll fix it as soon as i can figure out what's wrong with it.

• Members

Originally posted by greaseenvelope

Badass idea. Clips?

i have no idea.

it only worked for about 3 months, and during that time i believe i only played one gig with it, which was at the Seminary Street Pub in Galesburg and i'm certain that wasn't recorded.

it might have made it down to the Eyedrum Gallery show in Atlanta. if so, i have a recording of that ... but i don't know if i used it there.

changing the modulation frequency with the dials and the decade control was unlike any other experience. digital, yet analogue. very interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

si I got this heathkit ao-1 audio oscillator from ebay, and the guy included a banana to 1/4 cable, lots of fun and possibilities even more with my moogerfooger ring modulator (and delays...)

but i'm looking to modulate it with other things, some RF signal generators have input jacks, would it affect and modulate the signal?

thanks

Archived