Why aren't Csound/MaxMSP the ultimate synths?

DavidFisher

• Members

Why aren't Csound, Max/MSP/Jitter, and similar the end-all-be-all to synthesis? They are infinitely expandable, pretty efficient on the CPU's (with a Quad Mac you should be fine for almost anything). If you don't like the sound of a filter or something, the you can just bust out your C++ skills, and make a new one!

People seem to love the Nord Modular synths, but not as many people seem to be using Max/MSP. If anything, i'd see the Nords are a more limited version of Max/MSP (and they aren't exactly the highest fidelity synths anyway... well at least the pre G2 ones). No, there aren't build in knobs/buttons obvious as it's all software, but that doesn't stop people from using Reason or Ableton for work. A cheap midi knobbank can help fix that anyway.

So why aren't these "The" synthesis units? Some also might say they are hard to understand, but if you understand synthesis (just as I'd assume you would for any synth, analogue or digital) then it's not a big deal at all.

• Members

1. most people don't have c++ skills to "bust out". perhaps they spent their formative years learning to play music instead of coding...

2. do _you_ really have the c++/dsp skills to program a great sounding filter from scratch??

3. i do not agree that a good understanding of synthesis would make learning eg. Max trivial, the interface has its own set of rules/challenges on top of synth techniques

4. to give an extreme example, why buy a les paul guitar if you could buy a kit including nice pieces of wood, different fittings, strings, and tools? (I mean 'you could make any guitar you want, man!')

5. often, being constrained to make a synth within a certain limited architecture is artistically a positive thing

6. many musicians want to spend only a certain amount of effort on sound-design, using somewhat pre-designed components that already sound great together and have big 'sweet spots', then get on to the other steps of music making.

7 - 100. there are many other reasons, anyone else want a turn? (personally i like analogue sound and custom-designed physical interfaces with knobs/displays/blinky lights etc., eg you couldn't build a machinedrum in Max cause there's no existing midi controller that would give that level of interaction)

Personally I _do_ use Pd and _do _ have c++ skills, so my opinion is reasonably informed...

• Members

Too much choice and power can be counter-productive. You might spend so long {censored}ing around that you forget to actually make any music :D

There's more to being the ultimate synth than simply raw spec.

• Members

Originally posted by DavidFisher

but if you understand synthesis (just as I'd assume you would for any synth, analogue or digital) then it's not a big deal at all.

It's still a big deal because you have to wrap your head around a mental model.

Using a synth does not require you to understand synthesis like using a computer does not require you to understand programming.

• Members

that is sort of like asking why we don't all just make any kind of sound/music we want by simply opening up a blank wave file in your DAW and drawing in by hand each of the 44 thousand sample amplitude points for each second of sound until you have made your perfect song-

it's about FLOW-

• Members

So why aren't these "The" synthesis units? Some also might say they are hard to understand, but if you understand synthesis (just as I'd assume you would for any synth, analogue or digital) then it's not a big deal at all.

LOL - if you understand synthesis, you'll be able to program in c++? MSP is a bit easier than that, but isn't it obvious that after a certain point you are doing programming and not tweaking an instrument? Not that this is bad, but, well, it just isn't the same thing.

• Members

Why aren't Csound, Max/MSP/Jitter, and similar the end-all-be-all to synthesis? They are infinitely expandable, pretty efficient on the CPU's (with a Quad Mac you should be fine for almost anything). If you don't like the sound of a filter or something, the you can just bust out your C++ skills, and make a new one!

cause, honestly, I have better things to do than debug my synthesizer.

• Members

I love to switch on one of my synths and ... some really nice sounds come out of it - because they are allready in there.

I also love to create own sounds in soft - synths ... Absynth or Reaktor.

But I'd not like to programm everything from the beginning. I do not know how to do it and I do not want to learn it.

Give me a Moog and I'll find enough sounds where nothing is missing for my ears.

All these records od Chick Korea and all the others - none of them programmed in Max.

But ... if YOU can programm in Max - create some nice synths and share with us what comes out of it!! I'd love to listen to your sounds!

• Members

Originally posted by CardioGram

4. to give an extreme example, why buy a les paul guitar if you could buy a kit including nice pieces of wood, different fittings, strings, and tools? (I mean 'you could make any guitar you want, man!')

Damn straight! Pieces of wood and guitar parts are the ultimate electric guitars! Any real guitarist should be able to put together his/her own damn guitar!

• Members

In the balance between usability and power, Reaktor and Kyma are probably closest to the ideal, and that's why you often hear those referred to as "the ultimate synths." A modern version of Max is actually not much harder to use than Reaktor though. The last time I used CSound, it was still way behind on the usability factor.

• Members

i dont really know anyone actaully useing Csound regularly for actual composition and commerical productions

but have seem some use MAX for live performances, a comming up show at UBC will feturing MAX interacting with various insturments with video and audio

but anyway they are all too much for me to handle :freak:

• Members

Originally posted by myteeGTi

wtf noob!?
:mad:

You mean you didnt capture that hookers bukkake with 3ds max?

noopid stoobies...

Sorry, it's still rendering...

but with brazil, it is really, really good looking.

Or it will in June, 2010 when it finishes rendering.

• Members

Well I JUST started with Max/MSP... but eventually I plan on putting together full on Modular parts (based on a Nord G2 system), that can easily be patched up in Max just as you would any other Modular... (it's already been done, but it costs a LOT)

Some people might ask why, when I already have 2 Nord Modulars... but I think it's just fun to try, also, Max will probably end up doing all kinds of weirdo stuff that I won't anticipate...

I've mentioned in on the EM forum, some people seemed enthused and willing to help...

It will definitely take some time, but I WILL get it done...

• Members

Originally posted by hyperstationjr

It will definitely take some time, but I WILL get it done...

That is really the only way anything gets done in really complex systems.

I have to admit that I'm pretty ignorant about max, but (just to egg ya on) I gotta give propers for that attitude.

Archived